tide32

California and a prayer.

32 posts in this topic

We collectively do so much to make people lose their tormented minds and so little to prevent or help them back.

6 hours ago, tide32 said:

Just wanted to send my love and condolences to the people  who lost loved ones yesterday.  If you or someone you know hasn't been touched by this kind of thing then you haven't been listening or you don't want to hear. I have two granddaughters and it scares the shit out of me. Domestic violence is out of control. What are we becoming and where will it lead.

If you see something, say something. How great would it feel to say "i helped save her life". Be a hero. 

Hope this didn't boar anymore but but but "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"!!!

I have two daughters and like you, it scares the shit out of me that there are men who hurt their female partners.  Yes, I know the opposite is common also but it pales in comparison to the number of times the woman is seriously hurt or killed by someone who supposedly loves her.  I am also a Marine and it sickens me that one of my "brothers" used his training to kill helpless people. 

Living in Los Angeles actually Santa Monica, in a way was a great divide like the districts in the popular movie, "Hunger Games". Since it is a very affluent area exposure to crime, gang activity, poverty was very limited until you travel south or east. But when leaving the comfortable bubble, seeing the reality that the majority of people living in Los Angeles was sicking, demoralizing and even negligent. Some were limiting themselves because of consistent verbal abuse since childhood. Others settled, some rather live in poverty because they can easily take advantage of the system. Receiving free healthcare, food and numerous vouchers for things that those who did work eventually paid for through paying state or federal taxes. 

Honestly, there is a point when you know longer are a victim and become an active, enabling participant. Thats tough to hear to some or insensitive. But think about this question, then answer it honestly... "What do you consider privileged" ? Most believe freedom is a "Right" but have never left there backyard (the state or US). How about clean water? Better yet running water? The ability to vote?  

Edited by Calisurfgirl

Fuck Male violence. What the hell are we doing to our men that makes them act this way? Is it nature or nurture? Both? 

The father they had on the news yesterday who lost his son - just heart wrenching. I ugly cried right along side with him. 💔 it’s not hard to imagine this happening to someone you know. Something more than ‘thoughts and prayers’ has got to be done. 

We have to do something about mental health in our country. 

PTSD in the military is very real and we should have required counseling/transitioning into civilian life. 

Thoughts and prayers just aren’t enough anymore. 

Prayers for all the victims, their families and all those affected by this!

Have a lot of friends living in Thousand Oaks . The shooting was just too close to the heart as many of them have kids the ages of those killed. Just heard that there are now fires there. I'm returning to Pasadena on schedule and this Sunday will see what destruction or loss has happened there first hand.

As a whole we are a country that comes together when tragedy occurs natural disasters always seems to have the common person rally around those that are suffering because of nature. Unfortunately our compassion does not seem to extend to mental illness we need to get off our comfortable positions and start to become active to help those around us solve their problems in a way that keeps those around them safe. Mental illness needs to be a top priority

15 minutes ago, airamericavet65 said:

As a whole we are a country that comes together when tragedy occurs natural disasters always seems to have the common person rally around those that are suffering because of nature. Unfortunately our compassion does not seem to extend to mental illness we need to get off our comfortable positions and start to become active to help those around us solve their problems in a way that keeps those around them safe. Mental illness needs to be a top priority

I totally agree and I think  that’s just one step of the solution. People can have all the access they need to mental health care and still refuse it.  What then? :(

5 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

I totally agree and I think  that’s just one step of the solution. People can have all the access they need to mental health care and still refuse it.  What then? :(

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much that can be done if someone refuses help. 

I really wish there was an answer on how to end these senseless killings.  

We need to do better, be better and spread more kindness. 

19 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

Having worked to some degree with people in need of mental health care, access to it is a far bigger problem than people refusing it. As a society, we are negligent in how we handle mental health issues.

I have a friend who lives 3 miles from the shooting, and then last night had to evacuate their home due to the fires. Stressful times there... 

Do veterans get free or low costing health insurance? How does that work? I can’t believe I don’t know this actually. Lol Someone give me the scoop. 

1 minute ago, Just Jos said:

Do veterans get free or low costing health insurance? How does that work? I can’t believe I don’t know this actually. Lol Someone give me the scoop. 

I believe it is only those veterans who have put in enough service time but I'm not completely sure either

6 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

Veterans are lucky if the get any care.

The wait times for non-emergency care is horrendous, even if they live within 5 miles of a military base with a hospital.

We as a country need to do better for our veterans.

5 minutes ago, airamericavet65 said:

I believe it is only those veterans who have put in enough service time but I'm not completely sure either

Well that’s kinda of f’d up. :/ I have so much compassion and respect for veterans. War is seriously fucked up. I just finished watching the Vietnam war documentary on Netflix. One veteran said something that really struck me about killing a person for the first time. He said “there were two causualities that day. The man he strangled to death and the death of his civilized self” I thought that was super powerful and made me so so so sad. Like how do you come back from that shit?! 

19 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

I'm a veteran, and I get NOTHING. Although I worked in a "hazardous" profession, I left without any significant, long term injuries or illnesses. According to the VA, I made "too much" in my subsequent civilian career (as if...), so the VA has turned down my requests for some form of medical care (I wasn't even asking for anything for free).

Military retiree benefits have been scaled way back from what they were when I was on active duty.

Edited by Just Another Guy

27 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

One veteran said something that really struck me about killing a person for the first time. He said “there were two causualities that day. The man he strangled to death and the death of his civilized self” I thought that was super powerful and made me so so so sad. Like how do you come back from that shit?! 

He's 100% correct taking a life has a lifelong effect. It never goes away completely. 

30 minutes ago, Just Jos said:

Well that’s kinda of f’d up. :/ I have so much compassion and respect for veterans. War is seriously fucked up. I just finished watching the Vietnam war documentary on Netflix. One veteran said something that really struck me about killing a person for the first time. He said “there were two causualities that day. The man he strangled to death and the death of his civilized self” I thought that was super powerful and made me so so so sad. Like how do you come back from that shit?! 

Some are never able to come back from shit like that. And those that get care at the VA hospitals do not recieve the full benefit of having care, as Just Another Guy said benefits have been scaled way back from what they used to be, so unless you can get the military to declare you as totally disabled (physically or mentally) you do not recieve a full benefit.(which IMO is bullshit) these men and women have put thier life and health on the line for this country and then are left do deal with these issues on thier own in most cases.

1 hour ago, Just Jos said:

You don't. It always there, hiding. You spend time with your family, friends, strangers, it's there. You have no idea what one man can do to another. You spend the rest of your life knowing there's a monster inside just waiting. And  you hold the only key to the cage.

3 hours ago, Just Jos said:

There was actually a movie a few years ago (can't remember the name) that was based off a true story that actually paints a good picture to this question that shows just how f*d up the system is.... It basically follows the story of a group of combat vets that get out and the hard times they, and their families, go through and how hard it is to get help leading to some to just give up and lose it.... It was a hard movie to watch, my mom couldn't watch the whole thing cause she said it felt too real (which at the end I found out it was a true story) and all she could think of was how close to home it was for her because I did 4 years in the marine Corp myself and stayed home when most of my unit was deployed to Iraq.

*if I remember the movie I'll post the title of it

8 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

There was actually a movie a few years ago (can't remember the name) that was based off a true story that actually paints a good picture to this question that shows just how f*d up the system is.... It basically follows the story of a group of combat vets that get out and the hard times they, and their families, go through and how hard it is to get help leading to some to just give up and lose it.... It was a hard movie to watch, my mom couldn't watch the whole thing cause she said it felt too real (which at the end I found out it was a true story) and all she could think of was how close to home it was for her because I did 4 years in the marine Corp myself and stayed home when most of my unit was deployed to Iraq.

*if I remember the movie I'll post the title of it

I think you’re talking about Stop-Loss. 

Just found it.... It was thank you for your service  came out last year 2017.... I thought it was a good/interesting movie but it was a little hard to watch though, to me it was a slow kind of movie and a little close to home

Edited by Strange_Ice

10 minutes ago, JoDoe27 said:

I think you’re talking about Stop-Loss. 

Nope haven't seen that one... thank you for your service (2017) was the title

6 minutes ago, Strange_Ice said:

Just found it.... It was thank you for your service  came out last year 2017.... I thought it was a good/interesting movie but it was a little hard to watch though, to me it was a slow kind of movie and a little close to home. Sorry my fat thumb decided to do it’s own thing.  I wasn’t planning on commenting.

6 hours ago, Laci French said:

Thoughts and prayers just aren’t enough anymore. 

She gets it. Crap in one hand and pray in the other. Which one will fill up first. ;)