SexiKenni

What Are You Reading?

46 posts in this topic

The last actual book I read was "Cloud Atlas," and I thought it was great, but it was about four years ago.  I devoured books when I was younger, nowadays all I read are professional journals, instruction manuals, training manuals, newspapers, magazines and TOB forums (and posts).  I miss reading books, but have no time.  I stand in awe of all of you extremely literate bookworms.

The alchemist by Paulo coelho is a nice story kind of short but still pretty nice as well as farewell to arms by Ernest Hemingway 

On 11/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, BadBoy said:

The last actual book I read was "Cloud Atlas," and I thought it was great, but it was about four years ago.  I devoured books when I was younger, nowadays all I read are professional journals, instruction manuals, training manuals, newspapers, magazines and TOB forums (and posts).  I miss reading books, but have no time.  I stand in awe of all of you extremely literate bookworms.

I started it but part one has been difficult for me to get thru. Not comprehension but lack of interest lol. I've been told it's worth it to push thru and I'm sure some day I will but as of right now there are 3 more books ahead of it in the 'to read' pile. The Girl on the Train is next lol

On 11/7/2018 at 0:26 AM, Calisurfgirl said:

Currently reading "When Breath Becomes Air" - by Paul Kalanithi

It is a nonfiction novel about a neurosurgeon that was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. A surgeon that was treating the dying and in the blink of the eye became the patient struggling to live. Amazing book so far. It really dives into the reality that in a second what is constant and redundant too many can change in a split second. That we take things like our health, etc. for granted without a second thought until the shoe is on the other foot. I think that everyone to include myself can concur with that thought process periodically in our lives. This book is spellbinding to me.. Love it.

This sounds really good

On 11/6/2018 at 4:09 PM, AmberLynn720 said:

@SexiKenni

I am one of the BIGGEST bookworms! Lol. 

There are 2 books that I say you MUST read. 

A Million Little Pieces 

My Friend Lenard 

Both by James Frey. 

Have to read them in order. 

Currently reading a book by Dean Koontz, and he's another one of my favorite authors. We gotta get together and talk books! 

I read a million little pieces when it first came out, I loved it. I was unaware he published anything post scandal. I love Dean Kootz and had started rereading the Odd Thomas series and he just wasn't doing for me as he once did. I may have to go back to some of his earlier stuff.

9 hours ago, SexiKenni said:

I started it but part one has been difficult for me to get thru. Not comprehension but lack of interest lol. I've been told it's worth it to push thru and I'm sure some day I will

The first chapter of "Cloud Atlas" is a bit hard to ease into, since each one of the chapters is written in the vernacular, grammar, and vocabulary of a different character, and some of the characters are in other countries and either centuries in the past or centuries into the future.  It takes a while to get into the groove, but once you are there it is riveting.  Actually, I think the writing talent demonstrated in capturing those rhythms of speech and outlook for all of the different characters in just a chapter is what I liked about the book.  I started it on a plane trip (the only time I ever get to read books) and was so taken by it that when I got home I stayed up until 3:00 am to get to the end.

I highly recommend it.  Of course, I like Tom Robbins too (Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, Another Roadside Attraction), because of the way he plays with language, so take this review for what it is worth. 

Edited by BadBoy

11 hours ago, lintlizard said:

I'm really ashamed to admit it, but I never learned to read.

Image result for oh the irony

Kenni, awesome post topic!!

I have to admit that I have moved from real books to a Kindle.  Although I do miss the tactile pleasure of reading a real book and turning the pages in anticipation carrying my library is much easier than dragging a pallet of books around the country.

Over the years I have gone through King, Koontz, Ludlem, etc. spells but the childhood nerd in me keeps coming out.

The past few years have been about Sci Fi escapism.  Especially into expansive space operas.

The Honorverse series by David Weber, 19 books and counting.

The Frontiers Saga by Run Brown, 20 books and counting.

The Expanse series by James S A Corey, forget the TV series read the books.

The Lost series by Vaughn Hepner

The Omega series by Joshua Dalzelle

Between those I can just keep rotating from new release to new release.

22 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/author/ref=mw_dp_a_ap?_encoding=UTF8&author=Karen A Dahlman&searchAlias=books&asin=B00A6HSVP8

Laci inspired me! What can I say? Lol I love all things that go bump in the night! Not much scares me. Often I am more intrigued 🤩 

Karen A Dalhman , “The Spirit of Ouija:Four Decades of Communication”

(sorry the link didn’t work)

Two books I just finished. American Wolf About the consequences, both positive and negative, of the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone Park. The Hate U Give Fiction but I think based on a real incident and must fast read.

1. The Stand by King

2. Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Robbins

3. Coyote Blue by Moore

These are three of my favs.

Edited by Walleye

Empress of The Night. A fictional account of the life of Catherine the Great. Though I’ve read many serious biographies about her as well, I’ve long been fascinated by her reign and the result it had on the Russia we see today. 

7 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

Two books I just finished. American Wolf About the consequences, both positive and negative, of the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone Park. The Hate U Give Fiction but I think based on a real incident and must fast read.

Forgot. Don't read the prologue first in American Wolf. Wait until you have finished the rest of the book then read the prologue for a better read.