Laci French

Generic fails

27 posts in this topic

We all try and save money where we can. I want to hear about the times you’ve tried to save money by going generic.  Share your epic fails with me. 

Mine was generic macaroni n cheese. 

Once I tried and off-brand sour mash Tennessee whiskey tasted like s*** went back to Jack Daniels straight out of the Barrel

Edited by airamericavet65
Misspelled word

Anyone used the generic 5hr energy at Costco?  That was the inspiration for this thread😂

Generic toilet paper and tissues. Ouch and never again. Generic zip lock  bags, only if you want to spend hours trying to close the damn things.

Generic ladies from BP 😖 .  Then I discovered the wonderful world of TOB 😁.

Generic canned ham🤢

35 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Generic ladies from BP 😖 .  Then I discovered the wonderful world of TOB 😁.

Generic canned ham🤢

What is spam?😳 I mean really...what in the heck is spam?

26 minutes ago, Laci French said:

Spam 🤢

There is a reason it is called spam😳

1 hour ago, Laci French said:

Anyone used the generic 5hr energy at Costco?  That was the inspiration for this thread😂

I BELIEVE in Costco's 5 Hour Energy. I cut way down on coffee. Great for my long rides. I once left the majority of a case to a Beautiful young lady to try. Never asked if it worked as well for her as it does with me.

Most of the stuff at Safeway that's their generic brand is pretty good.

Not like the old black box stuff.

If you remember  that stuff.

23 minutes ago, Turtle138 said:

Most of the stuff at Safeway that's their generic brand is pretty good.

Not like the old black box stuff.

If you remember  that stuff.

Most house brands are just that. They change the labels at the production facility.

Edited by Bit Banger

4 hours ago, Laci French said:

We all try and save money where we can. I want to hear about the times you’ve tried to save money by going generic.  Share your epic fails with me. 

Mine was generic macaroni n cheese. 

Generic lube, once I use it all up I won't ever get it again. :D

Image result for generic lube 50 gallon

3 hours ago, Laci French said:

Nothing short of awesome is what Spam is. Don't knock it till you tried it.👍👍

I've tried a few off brand Mac n Cheese boxes.  Never been impressed. Usually severely disappointed.   In reality, scratch is easy and just as fast as Kraft.  And you can use what ever cheese tickles your fancy.  Cheddar to Gouda.  Then the Dr had to put the cabashes to that with the Type 2 diabetes diagnosis.  

Never found the appeal of the energy drinks.  Tried one.  Didn't do a thing for me.  Back in the day there was a drink called Jolt.  Advertised to have 5 time the caffeine as Mt Dew.   Again, didn't work for me. 

I do most of my grocery shopping  Aldi's.  They have not made it to far west of the Mississippi River.  99% of the store is house branded.  So far so good with everything I have bought.  

5 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Payless Shoe Store :)

Used to put my kids in Payless shoes while they were very young and I could not keep up with their growth spirits  especially my son! When they got older i ran up a JC Penny's card! (defiantly not generic)! Single mom on a tight budget! 

I decided to try some of the generic sparkling water from King Soopers...NEVER AGAIN! Yuck! Generic cheese is also nasty, and yes, don't try to save on condoms or lube...very bad idea! Ditto on the toilet paper unless you leak castor oil and tar, and need the roughage.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Spam stands for pork shoulder and ham.  But what is that gooey clear stuff??????????????????  Had a friend that when he was single he had cupboards overflowing with that stuff.  In Hawaii, McDonalds has it on their menu.. 

It would have to be window cleaner. I am a windex person but I got this organic alternative from Whole Foods. Never will do that again. I hate streaks. 

20 hours ago, Laci French said:

I can’t say I have tried that drink, but I did see some show a while back and they were talking about Costco’s Kirkland brand.  Apparently Costco has contracted with certain manufacturers to make like or better than products from a given manufacturer.  Like their jeans I think they  said are made for them by Levi’s.  I think they said their Vodka is made by either Grey Goose or Patron.  This was a few years ago, so who knows if this is still true.  So if you see it on sale might be worth a try??

20 hours ago, Laci French said:

Spam "stuff posing as meat".

It was never my thing but dad loved frying this stuff up and making a sandwich. The jelly stuff always turned me off.

The house brand of cookies coconut dreams at Walmart are just as good as keebler. 

There is definitely times for name brands but alot of house brands are just rebranded and hard to tell of there is any difference. 

11 hours ago, SultryKitten said:

I decided to try some of the generic sparkling water from King Soopers...NEVER AGAIN! Yuck! Generic cheese is also nasty, and yes, don't try to save on condoms or lube...very bad idea! Ditto on the toilet paper unless you leak castor oil and tar, and need the roughage.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Samantha, I agree about the King Soopers sparkling water.  However, the Safeway brand is darned good.  It is my go to beverage and very reasonably priced.

12 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

I never understood parents lately buying Nike and Adidas for their kids in elementary school, nor the high fashion name brands for them to wear.  I get junior high and on but kids don't care about fashion before that.

If we wanted Name brand growing up we had to buy them ourselves. And since I couldnt work but 20 hours at 15,  I spent my $ on better stuff like the newest backpack or Lego art set :)

I buy Costco stuff all the time, and it's mostly great. Not paper products though. TP is a definite fail.