K2dnvrfun

Well there goes my secret life....

35 posts in this topic

Well gosh I guess you can never really hide....

Secret handle name, secret emails, secret meetings, secret phones, shower post activity, no marks allowed......

You think you've done a good job covering the bases and then. .... then you realize there is one thing you can't escape....

Damn Google. Every hotel address I mapped, asking me if I liked said hotel or nearby restaurant, peering into my life as a go to and from each appointment... Google the know all be all, the down fall of a secret life....

:) all said with a smirk, I know I can stop the Google spy, but as I was pulling away from a hotel yesterday and Google asked me to rate it, it got me thinking. As hard as we may try someone or something is always watching.

Have fun and good luck out their hobbying, stay safe and in the shadows :)

Gotta be careful and mindful of your digital signature and footprints. Perhaps the most nerve wracking piece of this hobby.

58 minutes ago, K2dnvrfun said:

Secret handle name, secret emails, secret meetings, secret phones, shower post activity, no marks allowed......

You think you've done a good job covering the bases and then. .... then you realize there is one thing you can't escape....

Damn Google. Every hotel address I mapped, asking me if I liked said hotel or nearby restaurant, peering into my life as a go to and from each appointment... Google the know all be all, the down fall of a secret life....

:) all said with a smirk, I know I can stop the Google spy, but as I was pulling away from a hotel yesterday and Google asked me to rate it, it got me thinking. As hard as we may try someone or something is always watching.

It's a giant pain in the ass to set up your phone so that it doesn't keep track of all these things.  That is one more argument for a dedicated sporting phone, in my opinion.  I do everything off of that phone, and make a point of never using it for any real world issues.  Still, I feel your anxiety.

6 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

It's a giant pain in the ass to set up your phone so that it doesn't keep track of all these things.  That is one more argument for a dedicated sporting phone, in my opinion.  I do everything off of that phone, and make a point of never using it for any real world issues.  Still, I feel your anxiety.

Yeah I know that is probably best route, but damn if I'm going to keep track of two phones :)

4 minutes ago, Turtle138 said:

Turn off GPS location  and turn phone off.

They know every move.

Yep, printed maps from library from now on :) airplane mode and GPS off when on way to and at visit. 

20 minutes ago, K2dnvrfun said:

Yep, printed maps from library from now on :) airplane mode and GPS off when on way to and at visit. 

This is what I have started to do. 

1 hour ago, Picturerisque said:

Gotta be careful and mindful of your digital signature and footprints. Perhaps the most nerve wracking piece of this hobby.

+1 - amen to that...

My used to tell of her former husband’s co-worker who got caught because the E. Colfax NoTel sent him a Christmas card. 😧

11 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

My used to tell of her former husband’s co-worker who got caught because the E. Colfax NoTel sent him a Christmas card. 😧

Oops

Here's the thing.....don't worry about it. Unless you walk blindly into a sting, the authorities DO NOT CARE. It's not a big enough deal . The fact is, the technology is such that any actions you take with ideas of anonymity and privacy are a total illusion. They they easily could, but they don't...because it's not important or worth their time. Just relax....be reasonably aware...enjoy.

Worst nightmare scenario. The only time I got busted was from an email in my inbox. Yikes!

You can opt-out of "most" every "service" google has to offer.

Specifically what you speak of is your Google Maps "location history", Google "Web Activity", and the Google Maps notifications.
to delete your history go to your Google Maps app and in the side menu go to > Your timeline > then the ... in the top right > here you will see what you need to disable/delete

Google notification suggestions feature lives in the "Google Maps" app also, you can disable notification suggestions for nearby places.
go to your Google Maps app and in the side menu go to > Settings > Notifications.... here you can individually enable/disable types of notifications, like "People and Places"(what was prompting you to rate the hotel)

Note: Google uses the "Google sync" feature to sync Google app data across devices(storing a master copy in their cloud)
this data is stored in your "Web Activity", you can pilfer through this and delete specific data, or just erase everything related to "Web Activity"
here is a link explaining how to do all that > https://www.imore.com/how-delete-or-turn-my-activity-your-google-account

but of course this data will probably still be on a backup somewhere forever.

be careful out there and don't forget to wear you cyber-rubber

1 hour ago, Admiral C said:

Here's the thing.....don't worry about it. Unless you walk blindly into a sting, the authorities DO NOT CARE. It's not a big enough deal . The fact is, the technology is such that any actions you take with ideas of anonymity and privacy are a total illusion. They they easily could, but they don't...because it's not important or worth their time. Just relax....be reasonably aware...enjoy.

Yeah I'm not really worried,  just made me chuckle to think of all if steps I go to be safe and Google still knows :) not as worried about le as my rw colliding with hobby world.

52 minutes ago, LightningP said:

Worst nightmare scenario. The only time I got busted was from an email in my inbox. Yikes!

And that's why I have a completely separate email addy

So did I, walked away at the wrong time, got distracted...

1 hour ago, LightningP said:

So did I, walked away at the wrong time, got distracted...

Bummer! I try to be uber careful about that.

3 hours ago, LightningP said:

and you aren't the only one...

this post is one you will see way too many of if you stick around long enough...

along with the ' i wish i had gotten a hobby phone' posts...

6 hours ago, K2dnvrfun said:

What was your rating?😂

32 minutes ago, Laci French said:

What was your rating?😂

Any where with you is 5 star.

7 hours ago, K2dnvrfun said:

Actually just recently learned that if you're GPS is on and you use Google Maps, it tracks everywhere you go! Please be mindful of this and all things. Stay safe, we want to continue to be your secrets! ;):P

Just now, AmberLynn720 said:

Actually just recently learned that if you're GPS is on and you use Google Maps, it tracks everywhere you go! Please be mindful of this and all things. Stay safe, we want to continue to be your secrets! ;):P

Yep, your phone knows more about you than you even do. And yes I want you  to be my secret too. 😋🤗

And using free wifi might be adding to the situation as well.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3315197/privacy/free-wi-fi-hotspots-can-track-your-location-even-when-you-arent-connected.html

To echo AdmiralC, unless totally off the grid, tough to be anonymous,  but unless involved in bigger matters, LE really does not care.

Get a hobby phone, don't sign in with real world credentials, don't do anything real world on it. Use Privacy Mode in browsers, look up address ahead of time (in the case of Denver, not tough to get to the hotels/motels once know what corner it's on, so no need for the map apps being on).

And even then, one accidental "ok" by you or others to something like "SocialMediaSite would like access to your contacts" provides a treasure trove of info that can be linked. Example: LinkedIn keeps sending to my hobby email "do you know these people" notes with real world info on providers I contacted years ago, or, the election year text messages I'm getting (I don't put my cell number out there, only my Google Voice, yet the political groups tied them together and send texts with my name in them).

38 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Get a hobby phone, don't sign in with real world credentials, don't do anything real world on it.

If you want to avoid getting caught by the SO or work, follow this advice. Hide the phone in your car, and keep it turned off until you want to use it.

26 minutes ago, pfunk said:

If you want to avoid getting caught by the SO or work, follow this advice. Hide the phone in your car, and keep it turned off until you want to use it.

Better yet, hide it in a drawer at the office. Otherwise you might hear, “Honey, what’s this phone doing in the trunk?”

30 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Better yet, hide it in a drawer at the office. Otherwise you might hear, “Honey, what’s this phone doing in the trunk?”

Um phone?, what phone?, must have been left there by the last owner, weird we didn't find it until now and we've owned the car for 6 years. :)

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

It wasnt me....

Well, I don't know who had my sporting phone number before me, but I have been getting a lot of messages from far right-wing hate groups and neo-nazis asking for my support.  Since it is a sporting phone with no consequences, it is so fun to text back: "Fuck you and the Trump you rode in on."  It seems to work, I never get a message from the same Nazi twice.

Yet another advantage of a separate phone with separate number.

Edited by BadBoy

2 hours ago, pfunk said:

Reminds me of the Breaking Bad episode😂

16 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

You don't even have to use Google Maps for Google to track you. Even shutting off your GPS, Google can still track you using cell towers.  I put links on how to turn off all the tracking features of Google and a previous thread.

hey - this could be and probably is 100% on me - another senior moment perhaps? 

but...

i went looking for the links you mentioned here about how to turn off tracking features and couldn't find them - and i bet more than a few people would benefit from those - any chance you can re-post them or just give me the thread name and i'll go looking?

thanks - and thanks for the info - will come in helpful...

29 minutes ago, hornyoldtoad said:

hey - this could be and probably is 100% on me - another senior moment perhaps? 

but...

i went looking for the links you mentioned here about how to turn off tracking features and couldn't find them - and i bet more than a few people would benefit from those - any chance you can re-post them or just give me the thread name and i'll go looking?

thanks - and thanks for the info - will come in helpful...

https://www.pcmag.com/article/345340/how-to-get-google-to-quit-tracking-you