airamericavet65

Polygamy

24 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of polygamy should it be legalized? What are the good things and the bad things that can happen. Can it be a lady with multiple men or a man with multiple wives or maybe just a large group mixed all together??

I am in favor of extended families, perhaps involving polyamory. 

I think the government should get out of the “marriage business” and eliminate the spousal tax deduction.  For taxing purposes, add all the household income, subtract a personal deduction for each member of the household, and then tax the remainder with whatever scale (graduated, flat, etc) deemed appropriate.  

Marriage should be a sacrament of whatever faith the participants hold.  Let the members of the family decide what sexual relationships (w/in age limits) evolve.  This would cover heterosexual, homosexual, and mixed couples. It would also cover multigenerational family groups.  Each member of the family provides support for the group according to their skills and the group’s needs.

Consider Lazarus Long’s household, as described in RA Heinlien’s Time Enough For Live.

There was a big hoopla about polygamy when Utah vied for statehood, causing the LDS to change some of their policies to agree with more puritanical views.  I see no such push for Islam, which also allows for multiple wives. Yes, I’ve see family groups out & about, one man w/two women & kids.  They seem happy enough.  

Yes it should be legalized because prosecution is impossible. Anyone charged with it has an automatic insanity defense.

9 minutes ago, Admiral C said:

Yes it should be legalized because prosecution is impossible. Anyone charged with it has an automatic insanity defense.

You might ask the residents of Colorado City, AZ, about that. 😦

I love it. Especially when I collect $200. for passing GO. :D

15 hours ago, Bit Banger said:

Consider Lazarus Long’s household, as described in RA Heinlien’s Time Enough For Live.

That title is Time Enough for Love.

😠 Damn fat fingers.

One SO is enough, I would lose my mind if I had more than one. I will just stick with the hobby world. They dont care if you see other ladies.

There are, as we post, several active polyamory communities in many major cities, including Denver. That's de facto polygamy without the patriarchal or religious burdens attached. I can't see how imposing legal contracts on consenting adults would improve what's already going on.

Although it's not for me, the only real drawbacks to polyamory is that it seems like the people who practice it are mostly unattractive and talk about it too much.

Historically, and in countries where it's still practiced, polygamy's been mostly bad for women. 

And once you let the sexy haze of a fantasy harem clear out of your head, you can immediately imagine all kinds of practical problems. 

On 11/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, airamericavet65 said:

What does everyone think of polygamy should it be legalized? What are the good things and the bad things that can happen. Can it be a lady with multiple men or a man with multiple wives or maybe just a large group mixed all together??

The end result of 2 or 3 wives is 2 or 3 divorces. that's crazy and crazy is already legal. :D

OK, this is getting ridiculous.  Polygamy and polyamory are two ENTIRELY different things. 

Polygamy is almost exclusively one man and several wives.  Religion is usually involved that not only allows but encourages the arrangement.  It also frequently is a means to hold women down as second class citizens, allow the elders of the religion to pick who marries who, force underage into "marriages", etc.  It is total bullshit and in terms of the OP, hell no it should never be legalized.

Polyamory does not necessarily even involve a marriage.  What it does involve is multiple people that have at least an emotional connection and perhaps intimate as well, and a commitment to each other based upon that connection.  It can involve more than one person of each gender.  Theoretically everyone in the poly-amorous group loves all other members on some level, not necessarily sexual.  Depending on the ground rules, any member may engage in sexual relations with any other consenting member of the group - but not required.  It most certainly is not for everyone.  To succeed it requires excellent communication, largely shared goals and ideals, and the ability to hold jealousy at bay. 

Why do many guys here claim to be here?  Because the one wife they have is not interested in sex, not willing to do what he wants, or just bored with the same and only partner.  Well most of that could go away in a successful poly relationship.  How many young parents break up because one or more (usually a stay at home one) cannot handle the 24/7 nature of being a parent?  How great would it be to have someone trusted to trade off with.  Or at least an immediate, built-in suppot system.  How many parents (usually women) are dumped by their children's other parent with no support and left in a horrible financial situation and living conditions.  Baby daddy (or mommy) splits from poly group, there is still the group and still support.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  At my age, it is unlikely to find others that would welcome me into such a group.  Pity, because I am intrigued about many features. Should certainly be legal without legalizing polygamy. 

There is a lot of additional info out there if anyone is interested in learning about what polyamory actually is. But to better fit into the group (especially the inevitable TLDR) yeah, damn straight they are all ugly, crazy, degenerates. :cool:

Just to be clear:

Polygamy (from Late Greekπολυγαμίαpolygamía, "state of marriage to many spouses")[1][2][3][4]is the practice of marrying multiple spouses. When a man is married to more than one wife at a time, sociologists call this polygyny. When a woman is married to more than one husband at a time, it is called polyandry. If a marriage includes multiple husbands and wives, it can be called a group marriage.

Polyamory (from Greek πολύ poly, "many, several", and Latin amor, "love") is the practice of, or desire for, intimate relationships with more than one partner, with the consentof all partners involved.

It seems that the primary distinction between polyamory and a group marriage is the formal commitment of marriage.

My luck, I would get laundry duty for all the other wives in the marriage.  I tried the husband, boyfriend, and lover, and It made me crazy!! I am happy with my simple life now.

3 minutes ago, Raine-7379 said:

My luck, I would get laundry duty for all the other wives in the marriage.  I tried the husband, boyfriend, and lover, and It made me crazy!! I am happy with my simple life now.

Keep it simple and uncomplicated can make for a happier existence

Ok, ok, I can not resist this thread. One of my atf clients is a local polygamist. His wives haven't any issues with each other. They all seem to get along well. In fact I have said that I wanna be wife number 3. And I am only joking half way, half way serious.   Of course, if he said yes, I would  run like hell. LoL. But I just love this guy . He is a good friend, and a good client.  

And his relationship with his two wives works.   They have children, now grown. So yes folks , polygamy does work for the right individuals.   As these three people have been together many years.     And what can you say, he just likes to get laid often, so he sees the ladies. 

Now, some of you might think" what the hell is she telling this man's story for? Because I want you to know about my friend who has made polygamy work for them.  And as many men will agree that it is hard enough for a man to keep ONE woman happy,;  he does it for two. So yeah, I'm shilling.🍀🦊

On 11/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, airamericavet65 said:

If you are a “Millennial” like me then you know that our generation is poly based. Manogomy has unfortunately because a distant memory. The divorce rate is ridiculous. Most are career oriented. With dating, “hook-up” apps they ability to be less than manogomous is our reality. It sucks when you are attractive and all you attract is hyperpoly. 

11 hours ago, boink36 said:

The end result of 2 or 3 wives is 2 or 3 divorces. that's crazy and crazy is already legal. :D

I'll second that motion!!!!!!

I don't believe that any form of marriage should be illegal. As long as everyone is over 18, and capable of independent decision making, any kind of relationship should be a legal possibility. I also believe simple no-fault divorce should be legal, too! :D

10 hours ago, Jez UaBriain said:

Ok, ok, I can not resist this thread. One of my atf clients is a local polygamist. His wives haven't any issues with each other. They all seem to get along well. In fact I have said that I wanna be wife number 3. And I am only joking half way, half way serious.   Of course, if he said yes, I would  run like hell. LoL. But I just love this guy . He is a good friend, and a good client.  

And his relationship with his two wives works.   They have children, now grown. So yes folks , polygamy does work for the right individuals.   As these three people have been together many years.     And what can you say, he just likes to get laid often, so he sees the ladies. 

Now, some of you might think" what the hell is she telling this man's story for? Because I want you to know about my friend who has made polygamy work for them.  And as many men will agree that it is hard enough for a man to keep ONE woman happy,;  he does it for two. So yeah, I'm shilling.🍀🦊

But do his wives know about him seeing and spending household finances on the ladies...?

On 11/4/2018 at 1:23 AM, Bit Banger said:

That title is Time Enough for Love.

😠 Damn fat fingers.

Great classic, as is "Stranger in a Strange Land".  

I've never known anyone in a polygamous marriage, but have known a few people in polyamorous relationships and they seemed to work for them.  Different strokes for different folks.

I honestly don't understand why polygamy is illegal.  If consenting adults want to live in a polygamist household, and everyone is an adult who can make decisions for themselves, who cares?  I've also swayed to the side of believing monogamy is absolutely ridiculous though as I have gotten older so my views on this may be slightly skewed. 

13 hours ago, pfunk said:

I don't believe that any form of marriage should be illegal. As long as everyone is over 18, and capable of independent decision making, any kind of relationship should be a legal possibility. I also believe simple no-fault divorce should be legal, too! :D

It is here in CO