Mustang87

Screening Question

39 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, gr8owl said:

If you mean name etc. based upon running your plates, asshat is the least of the problem.  Contrary to urban legend, very few can run plates any more. Mainly LE. 

In Colorado, license plate information is considered "confidential", meaning only LE or PI's (who have to show why they need it) can get plate info. Also, the cameras on toll booths (think E-470) can get your plate info, but only from the cameras so they can bill you and it's all automated anyways.

There is no reason  to give that info 

13 hours ago, boink36 said:

None? how could you possibly know that?

Guess I just feel like with all that’s changed it’s wouldn’t be ideal. Forgive me for assuming. 🙄

On 10/17/2018 at 2:02 PM, Laci French said:

Please don’t give out that information.  I honestly cannot think of a reason it would be beneficial for “screening” purposes.  

Right

Ok, I have a question about this that could clarify things.  I guess it would be easier if the person you were going to see could answer, but she can PM me the answer and I'll post it here.

Is asking your vehicle info part of SCREENING, where she wants to know more about you, or is it just for the sake of security, as in, knowing that the person pulling into her driveway/parking lot/whatever is her client or some rando person that she shouldn't answer the door to.  

Because a lot of folks here are saying that info isn't needed for screening purposes, and for that I tend to agree, however if it's not for screening, then I think it's a fair question to ask.  So it seems everyone is talking about two different things.

1 hour ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Ok, I have a question about this that could clarify things.  I guess it would be easier if the person you were going to see could answer, but she can PM me the answer and I'll post it here.  and it is the business of anyone not trying to schedule with her because? Keep it simple - back to just ask her why if she asks you for it.  Sorry FW, usually find you the voice of reason and almost always agree, but this sounds like horrible idea to me.

Is asking your vehicle info part of SCREENING, where she wants to know more about you, or is it just for the sake of security, as in, knowing that the person pulling into her driveway/parking lot/whatever is her client or some rando person that she shouldn't answer the door to.  

Because a lot of folks here are saying that info isn't needed for screening purposes, and for that I tend to agree, however if it's not for screening, then I think it's a fair question to ask.  So it seems everyone is talking about two different things.

There is so much faulty "advice" out there for both ladies and johns.  And so many self appointed "experts" who started months ago lol! Like make them expose themselves cause cops can't do that. WRONG! Like park a block away cause if they get your plates they can run them and black mail you. WRONG! Like make them call from a specific location to get address. Used to be good when they knew you were going to call from the phone booth at Main and Elm Streets - so they or "associate" could see you and gather info - like not in a patrol car lol. Now it is pretty useless. "text me when you are a couple blocks out/pull into parking" makes sense so as not to open door to a religious cult or political group.  I suspect it is no more nefarious than trying to assure her guest does not get towed from a restrictive parking situation.  Paranoia runs deep.

4 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

There is so much faulty "advice" out there for both ladies and johns.  And so many self appointed "experts" who started months ago lol! Like make them expose themselves cause cops can't do that. WRONG! Like park a block away cause if they get your plates they can run them and black mail you. WRONG! Like make them call from a specific location to get address. Used to be good when they knew you were going to call from the phone booth at Main and Elm Streets - so they or "associate" could see you and gather info - like not in a patrol car lol. Now it is pretty useless. "text me when you are a couple blocks out/pull into parking" makes sense so as not to open door to a religious cult or political group.  I suspect it is no more nefarious than trying to assure her guest does not get towed from a restrictive parking situation.  Paranoia runs deep.

Yeah I get your response.  The simplest answer would have been:  "Just wondering why you want the info on my car, since that's something different I've never been asked before?" 

Me, when I pull up and it is time to arrive, I usually text "Knock knock".  As in, I'm right outside and it'll be me at the door in a minute!

I just see so many responses here assuming the question was something nefarious, when it's an established provider that's been seen before.  I don't see it as far out of bounds, and I have yet to see an answer that would convince me it was.  That's what I'm trying to figure out, a why is this question so heinous, so wrong.  Again the context is key, if the question was part of initial screening, then yeah that is weird.  I just can't see it that way myself.

Now, here's why I'm asking the questions the way I am. 

I just saw someone I have seen before several times on Wednesday, and when I pulled into the parking lot, I got the question "I don't see your car out there?"  Well, I have recently bought a different vehicle since the last time, so I told her that I'm now driving XXX, she then confirmed she saw my vehicle.  The question to me was completely legitimate, and only came off as a safety question, and to make sure I went to the right place.

Note that there is a 0.00% chance it's the same person.

Years ago when I was using long-term stay hotels, I would oftentimes ask what type of car/color he would be arriving in for the simple fact that I didn't want him to have to knock on the door (especially if it was a late night appt)  and would rather prop the door open once I saw him parking etc.  I didn't ask for anything other than the make/model and color of his car and it wasn't any big deal.  

On 10/19/2018 at 8:51 AM, FuriousWeasel said:

Ok, I have a question about this that could clarify things.  I guess it would be easier if the person you were going to see could answer, but she can PM me the answer and I'll post it here.

Maybe she just wants to know whether your ride is a rusting 1989 Oldsmobile with a bungee chord holding the trunk down, or if you're the type of fella whose Sunday-goin-to-meetin' car is a sexy red 2019 Tesla Model S with tinted windows.....  

Maybe it's the kind of info she needs to get her juices flowing.