Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

Sears declairs bankruptcy

34 posts in this topic

Sears is essentially gone. For me sad. I realize all the youngen's on this board will be thinking soooo. Back in the day Sears was  everything! The Sears catalog was nirvana. Sears was honestly the Amazon of my early years. If you wanted it, couldn't find it anywhere else go to the Sears catalog. The arrival of the Christmas catalog in the mail was huge!! Oh my goosh. The dreams, the wishes. Just waxing nostalgic. Such is life

I was shocked that the bankrupt KMart bought Sears a couple years ago.  

Sears was the only store I would go to at the mall.  

Mmmmm,   tools! 

1 hour ago, SabrinaLynn aka KatieCreme said:

I KNOW its a sad day for my parents and grandparents!!

Was that a shot :o Just kidding. I am an old fart.

1 hour ago, frankenthaler91 said:

I was shocked that the bankrupt KMart bought Sears a couple years ago.  

Sears was the only store I would go to at the mall.  

Mmmmm,   tools! 

Yes!! the tools. Craftsman!! They were the first to replace a broken tool no questions ask. Ace Hardware now carries Craftsman tool. Not sure if it is the same quality.

Sears no longer sells Craftsman tools. I was in my local Sears 2 weeks ago and left after looking at the quality of tools they now sell.

And don’t forget Montgomery Wards for all us old timers.

6 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Sears no longer sells Craftsman tools. I was in my local Sears 2 weeks ago and left after looking at the quality of tools they now sell.

and Belk's!

I remember my parents used to get the Sears catalog every year around Christmas, and I would look at it over and over again dreaming of what I might get from Santa! They will be missed!

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Edited by SultryKitten

9 minutes ago, SultryKitten said:

I remember my parents used to get the Sears catalog every year around Christmas, and I would look at it over and over again dreaming of what I might get from Santa! They will be missed!

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

We would get the Sears Christmas Catalog, and make our official Christmas lists from it.  Page and item #, description, all written out in our best handwriting.

Now, my family fills their Amazon wish lists instead.

Eddie Lampert has been nothing more than a hedge fund wizard behind the curtain and taking from the company all he can. It's all about enrichment no matter the cost. On a lighter note, I just got a great deal on a new Beautyrest Silver Blue Springs Mattress and boxspring .... and they still sell Craftsman.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03/the-strange-odyssey-of-hedge-fund-king-eddie-lampert-sears-kmart           

The Sears catalog was the best...... my hometown only had the Sears appliance store...so we shopped the jcpenney big book! But Sears always had better toys 

Jeff Bezos has taken down an American institution and emerged the richest man in the nation. How do you do something so huge?

1 hour ago, ilovewomen said:

I loved Monkey Wards! My friends, and I, used to spend Saturdays looking at the goods in the upstairs clearance room, on south Broadway. Ahhh memories! :)

2 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Not sure if it is the same quality.

Nothing is these days. B)

10 hours ago, pfunk said:

I loved Monkey Wards! My friends, and I, used to spend Saturdays looking at the goods in the upstairs clearance room, on south Broadway. Ahhh memories! :)

And they used to have a cafeteria upstairs at the South Broadway location.

As a little kid, I used to go through the Christmas catalog from Sears, Wards and Penney’s and make my Christmas list.

Our kids will never know that joy about Christmas.  The internet has brought good things to us, but eliminated some old time joys.

Not my first job, but fond memories of my high school and college job, working at Sears. Tempted to buy stock for sentimental reasons... I mean, it is less than $1

44 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Woolsworth 😎

Woolworths, the five and dime store I remember 

48 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Woolsworth 😎

My first job was at Woolworth.

2 hours ago, Picturerisque said:

Not my first job, but fond memories of my high school and college job, working at Sears. Tempted to buy stock for sentimental reasons... I mean, it is less than $1

Do not, under any circumstances, purchase stock in a company in bankruptcy.  The first thing that happens is that all shareholder equity gets wiped out for the benefit of the creditors.  Yes, it sells for $1, but it is worth $0.

3 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Do not, under any circumstances, purchase stock in a company in bankruptcy.  The first thing that happens is that all shareholder equity gets wiped out for the benefit of the creditors.  Yes, it sells for $1, but it is worth $0.

I know, but I'd buy one, for sentimental reasons and hang it on my wall, cheap art... I know, not how it works

Along with the Christmas Wish Book, the regular Sears catalog was a valuable asset for a young man: the bra/panty section.

Saw a story the other day that Chicago, where Sears was founded, only has like six Sears stores in business within a 50 mile radius. Closed the last store physically in Chicago. Took one of their flagship suburban stores, which was a three floor store,  and remodeled to use only the first floor of the building.

Re: Craftsman: seem to recall that the lifetime guarantee was dropped a number of years ago, and add in heard quality went down, don't think anyone has bought those tools in quite a while. And Kenmore was sold off a while ago as well?

Re: Amazon and Bezos: not going to put it on them. Yes, their business model did not help things, but this has been an issue long time coming for many retailers. Hedge funds buying for the real estate portfolios, thinking they can run better than current management, thin margins in the businesses, better run companies coming into place. Established retailers growing via acquiring weaker competitors. And so on.

Add to the dead company heap, you had stores like Korvette's, Robert Hall that got pushed out by Walmart, Target, TJ Max/Burlington Coat Factory/Men's Warehouse/etc. A&P for groceries. In the midwest, you've lost Marshall Fields (now under Macy's label), Carson Pirie Scott is out of business.

This day and age, need to be different vs the other guy (eg. every retailer carries same brands/styles at same price) or beat them on price/convenience. Hence even Walmart has their rough patches.

Edited by NoCoGeezer

Oh my gosh Chrissy. My Granny used to take me and my brothers and sister, one at a time, every Friday to have a chocolate soda at the Woolworths lunch counter. Couldn't wait for my Friday to come around again  Special "me" time with granny for each of us. 

4 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Woolsworth 😎

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Woolsworth 😎 

They had the best ham saled sandwich. :rolleyes:

Seriously?  Sears has been dying for the better part of a half century.   Perhaps the finality is a shock, but the enevitabilty has been apparen't for a long time.

And for cripes sake, don't buy stock. 

Edited by Happymon

9 hours ago, Picturerisque said:

I know, but I'd buy one, for sentimental reasons and hang it on my wall, cheap art... I know, not how it works

Yes,  getting the physical paper stock to hang on the wall would be some nice art.  If it is "fancy" like some I have seen.  

Heck,  the paper would be worth more than the asset itself!  Maybe in 20 years you could sell it for $50. 

On 10/15/2018 at 8:55 PM, SultryKitten said:

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

OUI...

I have to admit, I still shop there because I wanted to give them a little business. Tools, a big yes! clothes, always on sale. Most of all, it was always really an American institution. Damn it, I have a shotgun that was my Grandfather's that was bought from Sears...Sixty years old. 

So much for the past. HELLO AMAZON everybody!

YAY!!!!! not so much.