Turtle138

HW habit or sport?..

16 posts in this topic

When does the hobby become  an addiction? .

Is there away to gauge it?

Like gambling  or drugs when do you know?

Questions to ponder the mind!

It's expensive like a hobby yet entertaining and great cardio like a sport.  

When you start trying to spend money you don't have on it!

There are so many wonderful ladies offering services, it's easy to become obsessed with your next fix. I'm wondering if I need to start a separate bank account as to keep hobby funds separate from regular funds:o. Would designating percentage of income be obsessive or just responsible?

1 hour ago, K2dnvrfun said:

It's expensive like a hobby yet entertaining and great cardio like a sport.  

Great cardio if done right😉

Turtle, I think this is a question each individual has to answer for themselves.  Audrey made some great points and hope that helps to guide you. 

3 hours ago, Turtle138 said:

When does the hobby become  an addiction? .

Is there away to gauge it?

Like gambling  or drugs when do you know?

Questions to ponder the mind!

I really like this topic because as you know anything that can become habit forming like the need to wash your hands for a specific time frame and way is obsessive compulsive behavior and can be constituted as a drug. Most do not agree with that statement but it is legitimate, psychological science. Here are a few questions that you can ask yourself honestly. 1.) Are you becoming absent from other activities or person(s) that you once enjoyed?

2.) Are you becoming neglectful to your finances or employment requirements?

3.) Are you justifying your actions to yourself to allow your impulse/wants to be "Okay"?

If so, you honestly have formed an unhealthy addiction.  Medically, when you form an addiction it is classified as a drug. It may also be a form of Co-Dependency. 

Ladies it's just questions for thoughts.

Looking for how others feel about there involvement in this hobby.

But Audrey's right you gotta know when to quit.

3 hours ago, Turtle138 said:

But Audrey's right you gotta know when to quit.

You got to know when to hold them and when to fold them agree completely

often in life the answer to a question is as unique to the question-er as his or her gene pool...

honesty and self awareness sometimes just don't get along....sad....

This is a great topic that should be explored.  I’ve been active here for a couple of years. I question if this is a terrible compulsion or not. I have attended meetings on sex and love addicts. Is there a compulsion to constantly look at TOB or other sites. Sometimes I want to throw my phone Away for good. Then what is a hobbyist? Is it a compulsion? I suppose it’s an addition if it’s interfering with your life, job, relationships, etc as mentioned above. You can become addicted to the excitement through the chemicals in your own body. Setting up a meeting with a provider can trigger chemical responses in the body they we get addicted to. What do you guys think?

46 minutes ago, Skg said:

This is a great topic that should be explored.  I’ve been active here for a couple of years. I question if this is a terrible compulsion or not. I have attended meetings on sex and love addicts. Is there a compulsion to constantly look at TOB or other sites. Sometimes I want to throw my phone Away for good. Then what is a hobbyist? Is it a compulsion? I suppose it’s an addition if it’s interfering with your life, job, relationships, etc as mentioned above. You can become addicted to the excitement through the chemicals in your own body. Setting up a meeting with a provider can trigger chemical responses in the body they we get addicted to. What do you guys think?

Interesting assessment. 

Though I would say there isn't much difference in this hobby vs many others. Sure there are things that make this different and more risky for many reasons not just health, but in the end it is like other hobbies.

How a out video gamers who spend way more time and as much money, exercise enthusiasts, cosplay, tri athletes, antique collectors, classic car owners.....the list goes on and on and each of these spends countless hours surfing websites, forums, fb groups, spending money on tools, equipment, outfits.... shoot I know someone who dropped $7k on a bike to feed his biking addiction. 

When any of these activities starts to get in the way of family, friends, financial stability then there is a problem. Until then it is a way people enjoy their lives.

This is simplified of course and waives away some other inherent risks in this hobby that aren't present in others. 

But in the end any hobby can be great or problematic. 

On 10/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, Calisurfgirl said:

1.) Are you becoming absent from other activities or person(s) that you once enjoyed?

2.) Are you becoming neglectful to your finances or employment requirements?

3.) Are you justifying your actions to yourself to allow your impulse/wants to be "Okay"?

If so, you honestly have formed an unhealthy addiction.  Medically, when you form an addiction it is classified as a drug. It may also be a form of Co-Dependency. 

This is so on point... addiction basically takes over you in a way that impairs your ability to function in life (whether it's white powder, distilled grains, or petal-rimmed apertures), and the list above shows you how to gauge it.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:47 PM, Adson Brown said:

When you start trying to spend money you don't have on it!

There are so many wonderful ladies offering services, it's easy to become obsessed with your next fix. I'm wondering if I need to start a separate bank account as to keep hobby funds separate from regular funds:o. Would designating percentage of income be obsessive or just responsible?

Another good point: make it a budget item during your sober moments, just as you would any other expense. I think it's just as responsible in the same way you'd have a budget for other forms of recreation (eating out, sports, fun travel) If you find yourself consistently breaking the budget on this line item, well, you've learned that you're on your way to an addiction.

Damn, it's official, I'm a frigging addict.  Oh well, that is why God created credit.

4 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Damn, it's official, I'm a frigging addict.  Oh well, that is why God created credit.

Been there! Just don't end up homeless! We'd miss ya! :lol: