Hunter VanDyke

Balls really are tasty

59 posts in this topic

I've waited a very long time to try some Rocky Mountain Oysters. I finally had a friend who was willing to go try them with me. I've been building them up with excitement in mind, and damn I was not disappointed. I heard the Fort was the best place to try them, but I can't recommend the Buckhorn Exchange enough. Great ambiance, great staff, great food, great company. Good times. We tried some other stuff...buffalo ribeye, which was my fav, rattlesnake, which was delicious and not at all the texture I expected, and Colorado lamb which was really good, but I didnt care for the sauce it came with. I remember seeing posts about oysters before, so I thought I'd share how much I loved them. Sorry for the ones who are grossed out by this post. Lol

😑 gross.... I think I threw up In my mouth

Just now, MeganMarie4u said:

😑 gross.... I think I threw up In my mouth

So sorry sweetheart. I thought about you when I posted this. You are the least adventurous eater I know. Lol. 

Ok. I understand your title now. Whew!! I was ready to panic for a moment

1 minute ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

Do you like them?

They are OK. Good way to enjoy a spicy curry dip. I must admit that I get more enjoyment from introducing out of towners to them and waiting for the reaction once they discover what they really are. I know that is kinda mean but soo much fun. Of course I always pay for them.

18 minutes ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

No doubt, I was going to put on the do not call list😂😂

24 minutes ago, goodguy69 said:

No doubt, I was going to put on the do not call list😂😂

Don't be scurred 😋

Oh yeah, they also had menudo. I've eaten a lot of menudo in my life, and never would have expected it on the menu there, but it was some of the best I've had. 

31 minutes ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

They are OK. Good way to enjoy a spicy curry dip. I must admit that I get more enjoyment from introducing out of towners to them and waiting for the reaction once they discover what they really are. I know that is kinda mean but soo much fun. Of course I always pay for them.

Hahaha. That is mean!

6 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Don't be scurred 😋

Not scurred, but when a woman talks about tasty balls, makes ya stop and think😁😂

Just now, goodguy69 said:

Not scurred, but when a woman talks about tasty balls, makes ya stop and think😁😂

Good thoughts I hope! 😘

1 hour ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Good thoughts I hope! 😘

You must try my Delicious Schweddy Balls

Just now, Kaduk said:

You must try my Delicious Schweddy Balls

There is a great family owned Mexican restaurant here in Colorado Springs; La Caretta on Iowa. Small place but Hollo Molly they serve such good food. Great Menudo soup served with warm home made tortillas...good stuff Manard!!  

10 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Good thoughts I hope! 😘

Actually most thoughts/mental images of women sayings balls are tasty are better than good, thier gggrrrreeeaattt!!!!!!😂😂😂

I’ve had good Rocky Mountain Oysters and I’ve had bad Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Its all in how they are prepared.

8 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

I’ve had good Rocky Mountain Oysters and I’ve had bad Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Its all in how they are prepared.

Are oysters prepared any other way besides fried? If so, where?

OK, now that you are a fan and gourmet of Rocky Mountain Oysters, you need to go to Bruce's Bar on First Street in Severance, Colorado (just about six miles east of Fort Collins), which is the world capital of Rocky Mountain Oysters and Turkey Fries (same thing, but from Tom Turkeys).  Besides having a lot of good beer on tap (you will like that, Hunter), they will fill you right up, and at about 1/10 of the price of the Buckhorn Exchange since they benefit from being so close to all the Greeley cattle feed yards.  It's a fun atmosphere, kinda redneck, but friendly.  Used to go there when I was in college a ton, but I just checked and it is still there, and apparently all of the cool murals are there too.  Worth the drive if you are up in FoCo or Greeley.

More information:  http://www.brucesbar123.com/our-story.html

7 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

OK, now that you are a fan and gourmet of Rocky Mountain Oysters, you need to go to Bruce's Bar on First Street in Severance, Colorado (just about six miles east of Fort Collins), which is the world capital of Rocky Mountain Oysters and Turkey Fries (same thing, but from Tom Turkeys).  Besides having a lot of good beer on tap (you will like that, Hunter), they will fill you right up, and at about 1/10 of the price of the Buckhorn Exchange since they benefit from being so close to all the Greeley cattle feed yards.  It's a fun atmosphere, kinda redneck, but friendly.  Used to go there when I was in college a ton, but I just checked and it is still there, and apparently all of the cool murals are there too.  Worth the drive if you are up in FoCo or Greeley.

More information:  http://www.brucesbar123.com/our-story.html

Thank you BB! Someone just messaged me this link too. I checked out their menu, and they have a combo plate of beef, buffalo, and lamb balls! What more can a girl ask for? Lol. 

And who can pass up going to a place called Severence, CO? Sounds like a place out of a Stephen King novel.

2 minutes ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Thank you BB! Someone just messaged me this link too. I checked out their menu, and they have a combo plate of beef, buffalo, and lamb balls! What more can a girl ask for? Lol. 

And who can pass up going to a place called Severence, CO? Sounds like a place out of a Stephen King novel.

I dont know if we can be friends anymore if your dedicating so much time to  these balls.....😂

5 minutes ago, MeganMarie4u said:

I dont know if we can be friends anymore if your dedicating so much time to  these balls.....😂

Girl, stop lying. You always have balls in your mouth. 🤣

Just now, Hunter VanDyke said:

Girl, stop lying. You always have balls in your mouth. 🤣

😂😂😂😂 dont try to make this about my habits!!

4 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

So sorry sweetheart. I thought about you when I posted this. You are the least adventurous eater I know. Lol. 

I guess  monkey brains are off the menu as well.:o

3 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Oh gawd.....🙄🙄

Just now, tide32 said:

Hmm....don't tempt me. Lol. The only thing I haven't been able to try so far, that I thought I could, is a fish eyeball. I just couldn't do it. I heard they burst in your mouth. 😳

1 minute ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Hmm....don't tempt me. Lol. The only thing I haven't been able to try so far, that I thought I could, is a fish eyeball. I just couldn't do it. I heard they burst in your mouth. 😳

Omg the visuals of my imagination on this thread are killing me....😂😂😂

I used to watch a lot of Andrew Zimmern, and he inspired me to try unconventional foods. Still, I'm not afraid to walk away from a dish! I do try to keep an open mind though. 

I worked my way through college on a cattle ranch in south east Colorado,   Every fall we would round up the 500 - 600 head of cattle, with about 100 calves.  We branded all and castrated the males.  We kept the balls in a wash tub and at the end of the day we cooked several on shovels over the branding fire.  WE split up the remainder for personal consumption.  I enjoyed them most filleted, breaded with buttermilk and crackers.  Great with horseradish or dip of your choice.  I can't fine fresh, uncooked oysters anymore.

2 hours ago, Hunter VanDyke said:

Yes sounds delicious! Taking my mom out tomorrow for her birthday! We are going to the Acorn Restaurant. Have any of you been there? I am like Hunter we both are adventurous with food!😋😋