Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldertruckguy-9225

GABF

9 posts in this topic

I am going for the first time!! WhooHoo. A friend surprised me with tickets this afternoon. Anyone else going? NOT looking to hook up or meet. Board anonymity is paramount.  I was thinking of maybe sharing notes on a must try brew someone discovered. Anyway I am looking forward to it. I hear the GABF in Denver is one of the primer craft brewers gatherings in the entire country. 

I hope folks who attend have a great time.  There was a time in my life when I would have enjoyed it.  But now (and for many years) a GACF (Great America Coffee Festival) is my choice. And for coffee I am grateful (would also like a GAICF - Great America Ice Cream Fesitval).  From drinking coffee I've never been asked, "Sir, could you step out of the car...you smell like you've been drinking."  I've never been put in handcuffs for eating ice cream.  I've never spent time in jail for either drinking coffee or eating ice cream.  So I'm sticking with ice cream and coffee.  From an old Dirty Harry line..."Sometimes a man has to know his limitations."

And really, I hope those who go to the GABF enjoy some fine craft beer.  

5 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I am going for the first time!! WhooHoo. A friend surprised me with tickets this afternoon. Anyone else going? NOT looking to hook up or meet. Board anonymity is paramount.  I was thinking of maybe sharing notes on a must try brew someone discovered. Anyway I am looking forward to it. I hear the GABF in Denver is one of the primer craft brewers gatherings in the entire country. 

The list below will at least give you some direction if you don't know where you want to hit. Some of these will be popular spots but that's how it goes sometimes. If you don't have the app on your phone get it beforehand. It's a bit overwhelming and chaotic especially the first time. Do not go on a bender with the first tables you pass. I think the glasses are 4oz pours so you can easily overdo it. Lastly, don't be afraid to pour a beer you don't' like. There are buckets all around for that. 

Allagash, Dogfish Head, Dionysus Brewing Co, Firestone Walker, Green Flash, The Bruery, New Glarus, Russian River, Three Floyds, Short's Brewing Co, Stone Brewing, Wicked Weed 

A friend of mine went several year ago.   He quickly determined that you could not sample everything.  He switched to only sampling 1 style of beer.  For that, he chose to sample stouts.   

^^^^This. First time I went, back when it was at the Elvis Hotel (the round tower off I-25, now student housing for CU Denver), overwhelmed and tried to hit as many breweries I could with no plan on what to try. 

Once it moved to Merchandise Mart, and it becoming an even bigger zoo, narrowed to styles. And once to Convention Center, stopped going, alas. Too nutty for me.

Good morning. Not going to get even the slightest bit tipsy. Not the point.  The friend I am going with has been numerous times and knows her way around. Her method is to first go to the area of last years winners. She said it is usually not nearly as crowded. We can taste some great beers, find a style or brew we like and then go out into the floor and find different breweries making that style of beer. She said the same thing about dumping a beer I don't like. I know what style I like and while I am certainly willing to try new brews, that is after all, the point of going, a lot of the beers I have no interest in so won't waste my time sampling them. JoDoe27 thank you for the suggestions.

This has been around since the 80s long time for any kind of Celebration must be pretty good have fun take advantage of the free lift drives

I like

Avery - Rumpkin tapping (yum)

Hit shorts Brewery early and often

Funky Buddah (FL) and their peanut butter beer

I would focus on a style. . .and just hit it

this year breweries are in alphabetical order. . .so they will be mixed by region.  

don't drop your glass!

Wear your food (pretzle necklace)

If you like that, you should try the Winter Park Beer, wine and food festival.  No where near the variety of beer, but, hey, it's in a tent in the mountains!  I take a few side hikes to clear my palate and spend hours and hours wandering about.  Plus the souvenir glasses are really rugged, still have most of them.