oldertruckguy-9225

Favorite Hiking trails

21 posts in this topic

I would bet lots of members of TOB are like me and love a good hike. Living in Colorado affords a myriad of opportunities. Everything from a leisurely stroll around the park to a planned weekend, backpack required. I would love to hear about suggestions for a great hike, favorite hiking trails, hiking stories, adventures. The Colorado Springs area has numerous great trails. One of my fav's is 7 Bridges. I also like Royal Arch Trail out of Boulder. Problem is that trail is very popular and can be heavily trafficked at times.

Anyway, love to hear suggestions for a great hike. Happy Trails to you. And there is a fun question as well, who's theme song was Happy Trails to you.

Time for a second cup of coffee

One of the best things about Colorado is you can find good trails everywhere, pick a trail head and start walking. There is a nice little trail in Golden along the river,  many good trails in Boulder in the Flat Irons,  head up to the mountains and they are everywhere.

Walker Ranch Loop Trail in Boulder is a good one that's close. Diamond Lake Trail in Nederland is absolutely beautiful. 

Anywhere I can hike with my sheps is my favorite place to be!

3 hours ago, oldertruckguy-9225 said:

I would bet lots of members of TOB are like me and love a good hike. Living in Colorado affords a myriad of opportunities. Everything from a leisurely stroll around the park to a planned weekend, backpack required. I would love to hear about suggestions for a great hike, favorite hiking trails, hiking stories, adventures. The Colorado Springs area has numerous great trails. One of my fav's is 7 Bridges. I also like Royal Arch Trail out of Boulder. Problem is that trail is very popular and can be heavily trafficked at times.

Anyway, love to hear suggestions for a great hike. Happy Trails to you. And there is a fun question as well, who's theme song was Happy Trails to you.

Time for a second cup of coffee

Depends on what you are looking for in the hike. Golden Gate State Canyon park has so many great trails for hiking. Green Mountain in Golden has many trails and views with some good climbs. White Ranch is fun, Mount Falcon, and Green Mountain in Boulder is always a great hike. Top can be crowded on weekends but if you start early it's fine. 

Hunter, I have hiked Walker Ranch Loop Trail but not Diamond Lake Trail. Zelda, you are so right about Golden Gate State Canyon Park. Lots of great trails. I have hiked Mount Falcon. Had a friend ask me to Green Mountain but my schedule did not allow. If anyone does have a chance to come south I highly recommend 7 bridges. St Mary's Falls is also great and has just enough challenge. If you really want a challenge with spectacular views try Barr Trail up to Barr Camp. Spending the night at Barr Camp and having their power breakfast the next morning is lots of fun.

The Happy Trails song is Roy Rogers.   And jag is correct unless your are with friends.  

5 hours ago, Just Another Guy said:

Favorite trail: any trail that no one else is on... ;)

Now that it is past Labor Day and the crowds have died down, I love fall hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park.  Another great hike, with wonderful Autumn color along the way, is to park at Echo Lake picnic area, hike around the lake and up the mountains from there.  A bonus is that you can eat a great hamburger and get some home-made pie at the Mount Evans souvenir shop and restaurant which is between Echo Lake and the road up Mount Evans.  If you want to see what Colorado looked like in the 1950s and 1960s, go in that place for lunch.  You might even want to pick up a pair of "Colorado" salt and pepper shakers :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, mountainrider33 said:

I have multiple trails that I love but if you want to find great trails around you then download the All Trails app(https://www.alltrails.com/mobile).  It has reviews, pics, and difficulty of each trail around you.

beat me to it ..... decent free site at least to find trails

I am quite fond of the Rainbow Trail and its extensions along the north face of the Sange de Cristo range.   I believe the part from Twin Lakes to roughly Poncha Springs got re-named but this link shows the part from Poncha south.  There are many, many side trails to numerous lakes with fair to great fishing.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/rainbow-trail

You can actually go all the way to Music Pass southwest of Westcliffe and from there my all time fave (better hurry before first snow!!) the trails up to Upper and Lower Sand Lakes.  If you are a beast from Music Pass trailhead to Upper Sand, spend some time fishing and hike back down can be done in a day.  If you are getting a touch older, ahem, best to plan to camp overnight at the lake.  Come to think of it why would you not camp overnight?  Take someone with to keep you warm - even July nights are crisp!

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/upper-sand-creek-lake-trail

Edited by gr8owl

7 minutes ago, Just Another Guy said:

I've known AllTrails to contain a lot of bad data and directions. I prefer locally sourced information. Down in Colorado Springs, the local weekly has this guy https://www.csindy.com/author/bob-falcone, and there are others down there who have good info.

very good point.  One is best off getting decent maps of forest service, USGS etc.

Has anyone ever done any part of the Continental Divide trail?  I’ve always wanted to do it horseback,   Laci?

I recently tried out an app called Hiking Project. Also has a website. Crowd sourced, with REI backing. Seems pretty good at first glance. Will be trying other trails in their database.

Boulder, always liked Gregory Canyon trailhead to the top of Green Mountain. Been a few years, but, past Chataqua(sp) so a little less traffic if early. Short-ish with decent elevation gain to get some good cardio.

Continental Divide trail: been on stretches of it, but have not done long dedicated Divide hikes/backpacks. There is a cool stretch of it outside of Leadville where you have old mining charcoal ovens.

Heck, just about any town backing to or in the mountains has some great day hikes.

Lot's of hiking in Denver, Boulder, Wyoming, I love Sloan's and Belmar park for a fast pace easy walk on the weekend or middle of the week and I can't leave town. I also love the very short but wildlife trails close to water be a river or a lake we don't have much in Colorado.  Mostly, we have man made reservoirs 

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/manitou-lake-pavilion/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72085

This is a fun not much of a work out for walking but if you wish to immerse yourself into wilderness? It is wonderful. 

Edited by Kali Sensual Reiki

I second Rocky Mountain National Park. Pack a nice picnic, and make is as relaxing or exerting as you like. You can take the pups too! There are great photo ops there as well.

For me the best trail  is whatever one the hound and I are on at that moment. There are not any "bad" trails in Colorado.  And for those who want to enjoy hiking in the nude- join AANR and  visit Or become  a member of Mountain Air Ranch . Which is here in Colorado and has various trails that are well laid out  and maintained for maximum scenic views of Colorado's mountains. Skill level of those particular trails are from easy to moderate.  You do need to wear appropriate foot gear.🍀

Edited by Jez UaBriain

My favorite trails are the ones with waterfalls ,that are also secluded  enough to ......

My favorite trails are mostly in southern Utah The Narrows in Zion trail to the bottom in Bryce Canyon any of the slot canyons in Escalante but Colorado also has fantastic trails none of which Miss the scenic beauty of the state especially at this time of year. Right now hiking Vail Mountain headed to Aspen for a hike to the Maroon Bells. A great time to see Mother Nature at her best.

I'm in Grand Junction this weekend and a few of us hiked some trails on the Grand Mesa.   They were short trails, but several hundred feet of elevation changes.  Breathtaking views too!