edenver

Venmo--any experience? Any good things to say about it?

79 posts in this topic

So I contacted a provider a few days ago. We discussed everything and it seemed to be all good. She kept insisting that I Venmo her the donation that night. I told her I preferred to do cash. She was hesitant, but agreed. So the next day, we text back and forth again and she tells me to drive to her neighborhood and call her at 2:00, at which point she'd give me her address. So I drive 30 minutes all the way out there and call her. She answers, I tell her my name and that I'm in the neighborhood. She then proceeds to hang up on me. Hmmmm not sure what the deal is. I text her, "Is everything ok? I'm in your neighborhood." She replies, "Sorry hun, but I think you're a cop." I ask what I can do to prove it. She sends me a Venmo request. At this point my spidey senses are tingling. I think this may be a scam. Is she going to ghost me as soon as she gets the money? Also, my significant other will start asking questions if she sees that amount of money going out of our account, something I relayed to my provider the night before which she seemed to understand. I'm pissed, driving away. I tell her I drove all the way out there and I wish she would've just told me no last night! She replied, "I'm so sorry!" 

I guess my question is, is Venmo a thing in this industry or is it mostly cash? I was very hesitant to use an app to pay a provider because it's so easy for them to just stop responding as soon as they get the money. Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

1 hour ago, edenver said:

So I contacted a provider a few days ago. We discussed everything and it seemed to be all good. She kept insisting that I Venmo her the donation that night. I told her I preferred to do cash. She was hesitant, but agreed. So the next day, we text back and forth again and she tells me to drive to her neighborhood and call her at 2:00, at which point she'd give me her address. So I drive 30 minutes all the way out there and call her. She answers, I tell her my name and that I'm in the neighborhood. She then proceeds to hang up on me. Hmmmm not sure what the deal is. I text her, "Is everything ok? I'm in your neighborhood." She replies, "Sorry hun, but I think you're a cop." I ask what I can do to prove it. She sends me a Venmo request. At this point my spidey senses are tingling. I think this may be a scam. Is she going to ghost me as soon as she gets the money? Also, my significant other will start asking questions if she sees that amount of money going out of our account, something I relayed to my provider the night before which she seemed to understand. I'm pissed, driving away. I tell her I drove all the way out there and I wish she would've just told me no last night! She replied, "I'm so sorry!" 

I guess my question is, is Venmo a thing in this industry or is it mostly cash? I was very hesitant to use an app to pay a provider because it's so easy for them to just stop responding as soon as they get the money. Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

I think this is what would have happened.

1 hour ago, edenver said:

Theres no reason for any LEGIT provider to need the donation the day before.... that's crazy!! 

You had a firm time and date for the appointment.  Therefore it is a NCNS.  You should write a review.

As others have mentioned, scam. 

Some legit ladies require a deposit before meeting, but unless you can find lots of info out there proving she is real, do not send money. Legit lady will want partial payment, not full session fee.

Nor get a reloadable credit/debit card and read the number to the lady before meeting, "to prove you are real and have correct amount". Or sign-up for a dating or webcam site before meeting "to prove you are real. The fee will be put toward the session".

Once the money is gone into one of her accounts, done for. In the case of Venmo:

Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection.

And don't go to a motel/hotel and hand over the money to some random person who promises to give you the room number and the key to the room once money exchanged ("to protect the lady").

Lots of scams out there using "security/safety", "legitimacy" as an excuse.

Edited by NoCoGeezer

I took a continuing ed class today. WIRE FRAUD is prevalent, and ZI'm not talking $300 tabs, more like $300k. Good thread. 

Sorry but I don't think paying for anything ahead of time is a really good idea certainly not paying electronically. Fraud is rampant not to mention the fact that she might not even be at the address she gave you

4 hours ago, edenver said:

Review?

On rare occasions have I given a provider a deposit. I’ve been known to offer a check (50-60% of the total fee) to cover a traveling companion’s at-home expenses before we depart on a trip. Keep in mind - these are VERY trusted providers. We’ve seen each other before, several times, and have firmly established ground rules for the trip. 

As for payment systems (PayPal, Green Dot, etc.) with a “new” provider - no way Jose!  That’s just waiting for a scam to happen. 

This has less to do with Venmo or paying in advance or deposits than it does that it sounds like you didn't even pick a legit provider (or a very stupid one at that). The way you described all that went down sounds pretty shady.  

Payment apps are popular among traveling ladies, longer date appts to take deposits so that our time is not abused...(especially NOW with new legislation and lack of advertising venues) ...BUT...it takes a good amount of professionalism and discretion to pull it off and make a gent comfortable with it.  

What you described sounded more like a "scam" or a girl starting this who neither knows how to screen nor handle appts professionally.   You'll see more and more payment apps and methods in the future (Paypal is NOT provider friendly btw) amongst professionals and as the millennial crowd grows up (it's super common with my under 35 friends) but it will also yield ignorants and con artists. 

Sounds like you need to choose your providers better...

My spidey senses says scam all the way.

Was this an established lady?

Write a review...since an appointment with time, date and approximate place was set, this qualifies as a NCNS.

And never, ever give the donation until you walk in the door.

Edited by ilovewomen

nothing like an electronic, traceable, database stored 411, trail for 'someone' to follow and lead them right back to you...

might as well smile at the camera and buy your hobby phone with your joint signature credit card...

if it ain't safe it ain't fun - holy crikeys this sounds like a recipe for disaster..

cash is king...

Thanks everybody! I was hesitant to write a review, since she seems to be fairly established and has a bunch of positive reviews, but after reading your replies, I've decided to post a NCNS review. Cheers!

I LOVE VENMO

but only for family and friends. 

Ive used it for biz and its been fine , but it can go wrong on both ends . So i  prefer good old fashion   CAKE THE GREEN KIND

Ryann has the way to go, cash in hand. For an outcall to a motel, just make sure it is not gonna be a cash and dash. once she has the cash, do not let her out of the room and "Pay her driver".

Thanks for the topic. Been seeing a lot of new Venmo friendly ads and have been wondering what that is about. Definitely write a review, the community would be very appreciative of the info.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:52 PM, edenver said:

Scary stuff and sorry this happened. Stick to cash or gift cards to stay under the radar and keep it easy when seeing a provider. Too much hassel over one type of payment is a red flag. 

On 6/28/2018 at 3:10 AM, satyr694u said:

Ryann has the way to go, cash in hand. For an outcall to a motel, just make sure it is not gonna be a cash and dash. once she has the cash, do not let her out of the room and "Pay her driver".

You nake tthis post sound like i cashed and dashed on you ? Which is 150% NOT TRUE!!!! So check yourself and your post !!!

WTH!

so anyone who took that from his post its NOT TRUE ID NEVER DO THAT AND THOSE THAT KNOW ME.....KNOW THAT!!

2nd rant for june

jeesh

I’ve never paid electronically. Also I would be suspicious of it if they asked me and I’ve never seen them before. 

2 hours ago, Ryann said:

You nake tthis post sound like i cashed and dashed on you ? Which is 150% NOT TRUE!!!! So check yourself and your post !!!

WTH!

so anyone who took that from his post its NOT TRUE ID NEVER DO THAT AND THOSE THAT KNOW ME.....KNOW THAT!!

2nd rant for june

jeesh

I didn’t take it that way either. He should have just put a paragraph after agreeing with you. I think he was making two separate statements. 

I have sometimes asked for a deposit depending on circumstances, but it's never more than 50% 

I want to make things completely clear to EVERYONE! When I mentioned a cash and dash I was in no way referring to Ryann in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER! I have seen Ryann on three occasions and was met each time with a wonderful woman. The cash and dash I have experienced was with a woman who is no longer in Colorado or just no longer in the biz because of her actions. I only mentioned this practice as a warning to others so they do not become a victim of said practice. If my post seemed to suggest that Ryann did this practice then I apologize to EVERYONE, I did not mean for the misunderstanding.

8 hours ago, Ryann said:

WTH!

2nd rant for june

jeesh

For additional peace of mind, it didn't seem like it to me either. It came across like he was agreeing with you. And then making a comment reinforcing his reason for agreeing with you.

Although grammatically his post was correct, here on the board an extra space after the period or even a new paragraph would have been nice. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cecilia

10 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

I don't think anyone took away that sentiment.  He was actually complimenting you, that you had the right idea.  Any guy who took that from his post would have to be the dullest tool in the shed.  Bad day?

I know im just sensitive

Decided to try Venmo, but I ended up getting ripped off as the client had cancelled the transaction when I clicked button to accept it. He says he will make.it right but I am going to go with "I got ripped off by not taking cash" and thinking that as many guys who ask if I take it, that some of y'all must be accepting it or they wouldn't always be trying to use it. Anyone here who is using Venmo and it's going ok, I would love to be reassured and advised on how to prevent any more non paying incidents. Until I know more, I will not be accepting anything but cash and PayPal(which I've figured out how to make sure I don't have this problem with...).

13 minutes ago, TrystinTrimble said:

Decided to try Venmo, but I ended up getting ripped off as the client had cancelled the transaction when I clicked button to accept it. He says he will make.it right but I am going to go with "I got ripped off by not taking cash" and thinking that as many guys who ask if I take it, that some of y'all must be accepting it or they wouldn't always be trying to use it. Anyone here who is using Venmo and it's going ok, I would love to be reassured and advised on how to prevent any more non paying incidents. Until I know more, I will not be accepting anything but cash and PayPal(which I've figured out how to make sure I don't have this problem with...).

Cash is King, my love. :wub:

I've only done Venmo a few times from EXTREMELY trustworthy client(s). Like have been here from the very beginning trustworthy clients. I've had my share of being ripped off in a few different ways, so I've learned who to trust, and trust is VERY hard to come by nowadays. 

My advice is that unless you have a legitimate business entity you should not use it because your personal information to include unless you change your settings are public on the app. Venmo is a sister company of PayPal and both give the sender the opportunity to retract payment or since PayPal has so many hacking issues senders can claim fraud and the funds will be deducted from your associated financial institution. Your best bet it to go thru the correct steps in Colorado or thru E-commerce and have a reliable merchant processor to protect your financial information and the payment received .