NoCoGeezer

RIP: Bustop

27 posts in this topic

Let's see here, it was about 40 years ago, I was young and naive, and working as a carpenter in Boulder. After a particularly brutally hot day, a friend suggested we grab a beer at the Bustop. It was my first time in a strip club .

it was heaven on Earth: air conditioned, cold beer, and gorgeous women dancing about, AND THEY LET ME PUT DOLLAR BILLS IN THEIR GSTRING WITH MY TEETH, SO THAT I GOT THEIR SWEAT ON MY NOSE!

That was the day the boy became bad. I went back many a time.

I'll never forget the Bustop, every time I hear "Rock the Kasbah" it takes me back to that hot July afternoon.B)

Nooooooooo!! I started and Learned about The Hobby There. Sad day :(

Sad day indeed !    Now what is Boulder going to do for a strip club ?

Edited by JRWolfe
an oops

25 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

Now what is Boulder going to do for a strip club ?

Nitro. Right on Pearl. Entrance in the alley.

4 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Didn't know about Nitro . Hey,maybe you remember "Uncle Grumps " ?? It was a strip club in Boulder,I worked their all  of its 5 years as a DJ.

16 minutes ago, JRWolfe said:

Hey,maybe you remember "Uncle Grumps " ?? It was a strip club in Boulder

Was this the club in the bowling alley at 30th & Canyon/Araphoe? Where the Best Buy is in now? If so, before my time. Got to CO a couple of years after that closed.

Harpo's on Arapahoe between 28th/US36 and 30th was for a week or two a strip club. A Big Boy when I first knew of it. Became a Hooters (late 80s-early/mid 90s). After that, owner of Nitro (who owned a club in Longmont that I cannot remember the name of now: north Main [Bella's?]), tried to sneak a club into town past city council there ("artistic" dancing/entertainment). That was shut down quick. But he managed to get Nitro into town as it originally was opened as a pop shop, so no need to get to city council approval . Pissed them off that there was no recourse to close, and once PD said they were one of the better businesses on the block re: number of police calls, nail in the council's coffin re: trying to shut it down. Year or two later, successfully obtained their liquor license. Sneaky opening: was out watching football on a Sunday and people talking about the strip club down the alley. Called BS on it, but for giggles, went down the alley: sho nuf.

Long timers mention the "brothel" that was on Canyon and 7th-ish, across from the current courthouse in the 70s-early 80s.

Heard of Flamingo "brothel" in the quanset(sp) hut off Broadway in N Boulder by Lucky's. From  the sound of things, a rub-tug place. And eventually moved to Broadway and Violet, where an auto repair shop was/is (last I looked; know that that parcel is up for demo and having condos put in). 

Holy shit, the busstop is no more??!!  When I first moved to Boulder 11 years ago, I went there for the first time with a few friends  and I met a girl dancing there that was impressed by my drunken charm. She gave me her phone number and was making out with me outside within 20 minutes of being there. She came over to my friend's place after close and I took her to the apartment pool where we proceeded to have hot, crazy water sex. First time sex in a pool and with a stripper. Another time, I went there late after my bartending shift and met a girl that was into me right away. Took me to the very back private booth for a lap dance where she made out with me and stuck my fingers in her pussy. Never had that kind of luck at Nitro or any other strip club for that matter. RIP, Busstop. I will remember you fondly.

8 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Was this the club in the bowling alley at 30th & Canyon/Araphoe? Where the Best Buy is in now? If so, before my time. Got to CO a couple of years after that closed.

Harpo's on Arapahoe between 28th/US36 and 30th was for a week or two a strip club.

Yes, you know your Boulder strip club history. Correct on both locations. However the one on Arapahoe was open at least a month. I was a DJ at both, Uncle Grumpys..full time day shift DJ. The other, I played DJ their opening week at night,while training their DJ staff. Recall that the owner of the Arapahoe club building took the owners of the strip club business to court for misrepresenting their intentions for leasing his building and won.

Scooter put Uncle Grumpy's profits into personal partying.They closed owing me two paychecks.

Edited by JRWolfe
spelling

On 9/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, JRWolfe said:

Sad day indeed !    Now what is Boulder going to do for a strip club ?

Nitro

10 hours ago, LightningP said:

Nitro

Wasn't aware of Nitro,but will check it out Thank you.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:43 AM, JRWolfe said:

Yes, you know your Boulder strip club history. Correct on both locations. However the one on Arapahoe was open at least a month. I was a DJ at both, Uncle Grumpys..full time day shift DJ. The other, I played DJ their opening week at night,while training their DJ staff. Recall that the owner of the Arapahoe club building took the owners of the strip club business to court for misrepresenting their intentions for leasing his building and won.

Scooter put Uncle Grumpy's profits into personal partying.They closed owing me two paychecks.

Hey i remember all if those,  i was Bridget , did the Grand opener for Colorado's coal company. 

On 9/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, NoCoGeezer said:

Harpo's on Arapahoe between 28th/US36 and 30th was for a week or two a strip club. A Big Boy when I first knew of it. Became a Hooters (late 80s-early/mid 90s). After that, owner of Nitro (who owned a club in Longmont that I cannot remember the name of now: north Main [Bella's?]), tried to sneak a club into town past city council there ("artistic" dancing/entertainment). That was shut down quick. But he managed to get Nitro into town as it originally was opened as a pop shop, so no need to get to city council approval . Pissed them off that there was no recourse to close, and once PD said they were one of the better businesses on the block re: number of police calls, nail in the council's coffin re: trying to shut it down. Year or two later, successfully obtained their liquor license. Sneaky opening: was out watching football on a Sunday and people talking about the strip club down the alley. Called BS on it, but for giggles, went down the alley: sho nuf.

Long timers mention the "brothel" that was on Canyon and 7th-ish, across from the current courthouse in the 70s-early 80s.

Heard of Flamingo "brothel" in the quanset(sp) hut off Broadway in N Boulder by Lucky's. From  the sound of things, a rub-tug place. And eventually moved to Broadway and Violet, where an auto repair shop was/is (last I looked; know that that parcel is up for demo and having condos put in). 

I remember all of those places it was a bath house across from courthouse.  1981! Using my friends account!  Lol but made a lot of money back in the days

7 hours ago, Mikeylikes720 said:

Hey I remember all if those,  i was Bridget , did the Grand opener for Colorado's Coal Company. 

Wasn't that the club that was raided and closed down for  what was in the owners' safe ??  I had just written an article about a Boulder strip club that was shut down the issue before it was scheduled to run in the Oyster. Hmm, should check my archives for it.

Hey Folks,

This may be unorthodox, but I'm a journalist writing a feature story for Boulder Weekly about the closing of the Bustop (already wrote one shorter piece) and I've only been able to find one person who could tell me about how the place was in the early days (70's and 80's).

If anyone in this forum was around back then and would be willing to be interviewed--a fake name is fine to preserve your privacy, if you prefer--it would really round out the article and give readers a real picture of the history of this unique landmark.

You can contact me on this site or by sending an email to JoshSchlossberg [at] gmail. Here's the most recent piece I wrote about the place: https://www.boulderweekly.com/entertainment/what-new-beginnings/

Thanks!

Yessiree!  I used to put my fake i.d. in my worn out wallet, and walk there and back from my apartment on the Hill when I was a student - in the snow and cold with no coat and holes in my shoes....

Now the kids have scooters, and motorbikes, automobiles and mass transit!

Golly!  The times they are a changin'!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd have sold that chunk of property to the highest bidder too.  Any build-able space in Boulder is a goldmine.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, Chrissy said:

Nooooooooo!! I started and Learned about The Hobby There. Sad day :(

Me too! I was the first lady to dance on the nude side when they built it! I will miss that place and all the memories! :(

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

On 9/4/2018 at 0:11 PM, NoCoGeezer said:

Is this place open currently, or now.shut down?

On 10/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, the scribe said:

Hey Folks,

This may be unorthodox, but I'm a journalist writing a feature story for Boulder Weekly about the closing of the Bustop (already wrote one shorter piece) and I've only been able to find one person who could tell me about how the place was in the early days (70's and 80's).

Thanks!

Before it was the Bus Stop,that building was Arts Bar & Grill,with live music.Saw the Zephyr reunion there with Tommy Bolin . Both Zephyr and Tommy Bolin (as a solo act ) went into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame in 2019. Lot of history was torn down in 2018.

Tommy Bolin was an incredible talent and another one who died way too young.  He was able to replace Joe Walsh in James Gang and Richie Blackmore in Deep Purple has some talent.  I'm glad Joe got his act and life together and is very vocal about his lifestyle change.

Edited by average1
Forgot something.

3 hours ago, average1 said:

Tommy Bolin was an incredible talent and another one who died way too young.  He was able to replace Joe Walsh in James Gang and Richie Blackmore in Deep Purple has some talent.  I'm glad Joe got his act and life together and is very vocal about his lifestyle change.

Agreed ! Had the good fortune of seeing Tommy Bolin in Zephyr,Deep Purple and as a solo act.saw him at the original Denver Folklore Center playing jazz on an acoustic guitar (he was trying it out as a customer ). Too bad he had that habit that ended his life so very young.   (Missed seeing him in James Gang,but like the two lps he did with them ).

Recall being in the Bus Stop when their DJ played "Teaser"...he probably didn't know Tommy played right where the DJ booth was.

9 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Agreed ! Had the good fortune of seeing Tommy Bolin in Zephyr,Deep Purple and as a solo act.saw him at the original Denver Folklore Center playing jazz on an acoustic guitar (he was trying it out as a customer ). Too bad he had that habit that ended his life so very young.   (Missed seeing him in James Gang,but like the two lps he did with them ).

Recall being in the Bus Stop when their DJ played "Teaser"...he probably didn't know Tommy played right where the DJ booth was.

Seeing him at Harry's playing jazz must have been a treat.  I'm jealous !!  :)

12 hours ago, average1 said:

Seeing him at Harry's playing jazz must have been a treat.  I'm jealous !!  :)

An unexpected treat. Like i said,he was trying out guitars as a customer. Played some insane music as he tried them out. This was before he recorded with Billy Cobham .

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:45 AM, average1 said:

Joe used to be my next-door-neighbor (up in the mountains above Boulder).  He wasn't home often, but what an animal.  I don't think his SUV was able to do lower than 90 miles per hour on our twisty dirt road.

Thanks NoCoGeezer for bringing back a lot of good memories. You are correct, there was a rub n tug place on Canyon, just up from the courthouse. That made me a little nervous when I was exiting the place. I'd bet a lot of attorneys and their clients got some high quality stress relief there.

There was indeed a brothel on north Broadway; it's now a Subaru repair shop. Very pretty ladies worked there as well.

There used to be a hotel up on Broadway with hot tubs in the back of the rooms. It was real fun to drop some MDMA, look at the stars and hang with my girlfriend at the time, a stripper from the Colorado Mining Company. Pre AIDS. Pre herpes. You youngins have no idea. 

I've been missing the Bustop for a while now. Construction has been underway for another architectural shit box where it used to be. I remember many fine nights there. The women were friendly and chatty, not totally about the hustle, and the drinks didn't cost much, for a strip club. Kinda like Friends, only with tits and ass. As another poster mentioned, you could get pretty lucky there. A lot of smart, adventurous women worked that stage.

Nitro is way more upscale, and the girls work ya pretty hard. The entertainers are all quite beautiful, though.  Some guy a while back posted about getting lucky with a dancer, so maybe I've been there on off-nights. Also, having the dancers at eye-level feels weird to me. But, not at all the same vibe. Still, the owners played a great game getting that place in town.

The last time I went to the Bustop, a hot entertainer seemed clearly, and so sincerely into me. That is, until I told her I didn't actually want to be her sugardaddy if that only meant holding her bags at the Cherry Creek Mall while she went shopping with my credit card. 

Age. It happens.

RIP Bustop.