Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bora Bora

Protected Texts

3 posts in this topic

I found a very, very simple and yet super safe website to keep notes. Sometimes I want to keep private and encrypted notes about things or names, etc.

It's called Protectedtext.com

Another good thing: it's not connected to your email address in any way, because you don't have to sign up, therefore not connected to you.

Screen_Shot_2018_09_03_at_6_55_11_PM.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018_09_03_at_6_55_21_PM.jpg

Edited by Bora Bora

Looks pretty cool. I already have a (more complicated) solution, but this looks like it could be handy.

Usual disclaimer: solution is only as secure as your password is. If using something easy (eg. "baloney1"), not really secure is site is compromised.

Looks promising. Appears to have been around for a number of years now, first I've heard o it.

If one has an iPhone/iPad, the Notes app is a nice option. You can encrypt notes with a strong passcode, and then use your fingerprint to unlock the notes. Notes are encrypted on the device before being uploaded to iCloud, so, even though stored on Apple's servers, you are in control of the key to the data.

Also, lots of apps out there that do locally encrypted notes/files, and can sync to other devices via a cloud service (ie. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google, iCloud). And again, since the encryption is done locally, and you have a strong key, the other services would not be able to decrypt. The cloud services also have encryption at rest, so a hacker would need to defeat that to just get to the encrypted file.

Big thing I like about not using a service for these type of things is that it's in my control, not relying on some admin configuring the backend database, credentials, etc correctly (see: Equifax breach and every other major breach ever). In this example, appears that encryption is done locally, so, not as vulnerable as other services, but see above re: strong keys/passwords.