Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkey600

Is it just me? Probably!

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking today......I know not a very good idea for a person like me, but anyway...Here goes it....

I have to ask the question in regards to all the social media out there...A lot it is good, however... I wonder about all of the people that seem to think it happens to be God's Truth...(a huge embellishment I know! lol ) At what point did everybody think that it was a good idea to be offended by any other thought other than their own? Different thoughts are what makes us a better community of thinkers and doers! A good thing indeed! I'm getting tired of all the hate out there, it's really serving no purpose. Negative energy is draining to all of us and it gets very old in a shot fashion.

Forgive me if this offends about 2% of the total population right now but really? PLEASE GET OVER YOURSELVES!!  Me? I try to truly understand topics that maybe I'm not active in or maybe I don't have all the facts, and there are LOTS of them! And if I spend a few minutes of THINKING... I kind of get both sides of the argument and can kind of find some "common ground" and let it go as such. I have to admit sometimes I go off as an asshole and for that I truly apologize, but It seems that I happen to be in the minority on this subject. I know this and am truly trying to be a better person for it. However, I'm wondering why so many people choose to hate first, ask questions a distance second, and be offended first and foremost.Life is too short to be hating, please be more thoughtful in your understanding of other's views and as a result, you will be a happier person. When it comes down to it, playing it forward and being happy is all we as humans have. Rant over, thanks so much for reading this, and thanks even more for responding to this. Maybe I will learn a few things from your replies, I hope so! Blesses to all!

It's late, got a couple of bourbons in me, and since a discussion board, won't go into a big treatise: it's complicated and not black/white imo. People have a tough time with grey.

Pay it forward: heck yeah.

We live in an echo chamber era, and few folks will bother with reading up on both sides of an issue. A really "truthiness" era ala Colbert's O'Reilly character, "1984", and Gulliani's "truth isn't truth" statement of late (aka Clinton "what is is").

Some reading re: we are pretty much the same relatively "dumb" people coming from different side of things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolt_of_the_Masses

Title was mistranslated. Read this as part of a modern politcal philosophy class in college. My take on this was a bit off from the prof, but was able to rationalize my take and got an A. Old Steve Martin joke re: remember enough of your college philosophy courses to f you up for the rest of your life.

Lots of other books since (including some recent ones that can't recall titles now) cover similar territory but updated for current times. Not recent, but, covers relatively recent USA life and tracks similar to above.

https://www.amazon.com/Cities-Hill-Brilliant-Exploration-Communities/dp/0671645617

Bottom line, we are the same hairless monkeys (monkey boys ["MiB"] or sacks of water ["STNG"]).

(and to take this in a different tangent, re: monkeys, if you can, get to an IMAX next couple of days to see "2001" in widescreen scanned from the new 70mm prints, to see as Kubrick intended; if you are in a city with the 70mm film, do that [jonesing for that myself]).

A couple of quick thoughts in the middle of the night:

• I remember in the early 60s Time had an article about the PC culture in colleges. There was a big uproar in the Ivy League and UW Madison about ‘offensive’ language.
  • People are offended because they are taught to be offended, often at an early age.
  • The echo chambers began when we stopped mixing Society.   Bring back compulsory service (not limited to the military).  Not only do we owe our country, but the mixing of different strata of society in an environment where you depend on each other for success/survival is a huge education for young people.  You learn that They aren’t so different after all, and to put aside your differences for a common goal.
  • Technology has allowed echo chambers to grow. It used to be that the echo chamber was confined to your immediate neighborhood, perhaps the distribution are of your local newspaper or AM broadcast station. With the Internet cliques now have International scope.

Just a few ramblings.

I find it humorous, that we have this thread, started by the OP complaining about other people complaining. 

Image result for complaining about complaining

On 8/28/2018 at 4:33 AM, Bit Banger said:

A couple of quick thoughts in the middle of the night:

• I remember in the early 60s Time had an article about the PC culture in colleges. There was a big uproar in the Ivy League and UW Madison about ‘offensive’ language.
  • People are offended because they are taught to be offended, often at an early age.
  • The echo chambers began when we stopped mixing Society.   Bring back compulsory service (not limited to the military).  Not only do we owe our country, but the mixing of different strata of society in an environment where you depend on each other for success/survival is a huge education for young people.  You learn that They aren’t so different after all, and to put aside your differences for a common goal.
  • Technology has allowed echo chambers to grow. It used to be that the echo chamber was confined to your immediate neighborhood, perhaps the distribution are of your local newspaper or AM broadcast station. With the Internet cliques now have International scope.

Just a few ramblings.

Spot on IMHO.

Too bad most to many don't recognize truth when the "hear" it.

I guess they are busy being offended because of something they read on the internet.

Give back to your neighborhood, or to any charity or organization you might think is a good thing, but PLEASE stop wasting your time being offended because someone somewhere thinks different that you do. It's a waste of time and energy that could be better spent else ware... Try to do a good thing for another person that has much less that you have. Even if it means adding a dollar to your grocery bill for the needy, it all helps. It all adds up!

I have a suggestion: I'd like everyone to look at ST Josephs Indian School and tell me if your problems with society rival what they are trying to do for children. I think NOT.

If this post gets me in trouble, that's the way it goes. I'll take it.

Thanks everyone for reading this, I appreciate it!

On 8/28/2018 at 7:04 AM, pfunk said:

I find it humorous, that we have this thread, started by the OP complaining about other people complaining. 

Image result for complaining about complaining

You missed the point.

Like most other people.

Read my latest post.

Nice graphic though! Made m laugh!

Right now, there are a couple of news stories about Trumps wife wearing a white pith helmet on her tour of Africa. Apparently it's a symbol of imperialism and people are offended.  Blah blah blah.

On the other hand, it's just a fucking hat.

<rant over>

56 minutes ago, Just Another Guy said:

Right now, there are a couple of news stories about Trumps wife wearing a white pith helmet on her tour of Africa. Apparently it's a symbol of imperialism and people are offended.  Blah blah blah.

On the other hand, it's just a fucking hat.

<rant over>

It’s also a lit cooler (temperature) than a black hat.  Pith helmets also let the air circulate around your head. I’d say it was a wise choice on her part.  

Hey, maybe there’s a reason those d**m imperialist wore white pith helmets.

Edited by Bit Banger

Unfortunately with the anonymity of the internet, people find it easier to start an argument than to engage in some civil discourse. Even perusing some blogs that interest me, i.e. cars, photography, sports, it’s difficult to read through the comment section without it somehow getting politically involved. Some of the commentators sound like they are arguing against someone else in an extreme case of road rage. I mean we all have different views, while I may disagree with another’s point of view, I see no reason to assasinate the other’s character or demean them in order to get my point across.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, amcbl1 said:

Unfortunately with the anonymity of the internet, people find it easier to start an argument than to engage in some civil discourse. Even perusing some blogs that interest me, i.e. cars, photography, sports, it’s difficult to read through the comment section without it somehow getting politically involved. Some of the commentators sound like they are arguing against someone else in an extreme case of road rage. I mean we all have different views, while I may disagree with another’s point of view, I see no reason to assasinate the other’s character or demean them in order to get my point across.

Hence the reason for my original post.

People just can't wait for something to offend them, might I say "piss them off" and get on social media to "spread the wealth"

I'm sick and tired of it. I liked your response about demeaning an other person to get one's point across. Very well thought out, much to my original point. 

Totally agree with you, people are about themselves.

We have went down a rabbit hole and if we don't change how we treat each other our society as we know it will be gone.

America was built on dreams and the idea of freedom.

Whatever happened to pledging alligence to our flag.... and each other!