Jenniferxj6

Meteors Stare show all weekend!

13 posts in this topic

Where is a great place to watch star shooting meteors show all weekend around Denver or even Co in a 60 mile radius? Should be unforgettable. 

The further east you go the better. 

A bit more than 60 miles away, Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument is a great night sky viewing spot since it's far from city lights.

These are further than 60 miles from Denver but they are great places to look at the sky.

1. South Park (Park County) There are only a couple small towns in Southpark so there isn't much light pollution. The worst is looking back East toward Denver and Colorado Springs. I saw a meteor the size of a silver dollar rip across the sky in southpark. It turned night into day for about 4 seconds.

2. San Luis Valley. More small towns but you loose most of the Denver and Colorado Springs light pollution. 

3. Wet Mountain valley, Westcliff Colorado. Westcliff has been certified as a dark sky community. They have made the effort to reduce the light pollution the town produces, they did this to attract astronomy tourists. It would still be about 2 hours from Denver I think. 

4. This would be way outside your time and effort parameters but the summits of Mount Huron or San Lois peak would be a great places to watch from. Also, about anywhere in the Weminuche or South San Jaun wilderness would be good. I wish I was in one of these spots right now. (incert sigh here)

11 hours ago, Jenniferxj6 said:

Where is a great place to watch star shooting meteors show all weekend around Denver or even Co in a 60 mile radius? Should be unforgettable. 

Thanks for the reminder.  Not sure if I will go anywhere, but if I did, it would be probably be Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

Just anywhere away from city lights trouble is the smoke in the air is possibly going to ruin any viewing 

Back in the day, 20 miles east was enough. But now that built up, gotta agree with heading well east. 

Make a camping trip and head somewhere in the mountains: not only great meteor show, but just getting the general star views and Milky Way, great time.

That said, have got great view in NoCo, even with the urban lights over the years.

I know the perfect place, but I can't give directions. I'd have to show you how to get there, just where to be, exactly where to look, and what to do to maximize enjoyment of the experience.

The farther from big cities the better, the higher in elevation the better.  Dipping a line in water (or pole in wetness hehe) is good too.  Lake DeWeese near the previously mentioned Westcliffe, Twin Lakes or Turquoise (careful trees not in way) near Leadville, Taylor Res. all would work splendidly.

Good recommendation’s from others on prime viewing spots for meteor showers. Good rule of thumb: the further from major cities and the higher in elevation, the better for nighttime celestial viewing. OP: my recommendation would be to head to Estes Park (1.5 hr drive from Denver), and head up into Rocky Mountain National Park. Trail Ridge Road winds up and over the continental divide, climbing to 12,000 feet. There are multiple parking lots and pull offs right of the road with great views of the night sky. Happy viewing.