ReadySetGoForIt

DiGiorno and Wine Selection

46 posts in this topic

Random thought of the evening while browsing TOB.  Some frozen pizza instructions specify "bottom rack" while others state "middle rack".  I haven't noticed remarkably different results between the two settings so I'm experimenting now like any good chef.  And the wine pairing - certainly red, but is an $8 bottle the best choice for a $6 frozen pizza?  Or will a better wine enhance the overall experience?  (Yes, I know there are decent $8 wines - let's assume any wine in the discussion is drinkable).  Deep thoughts here.  Very deep.

Jeez splurge, save your pennies fro $10 tuesdays. I do lol. 

I was going to say spend 5 more bucks and get a Papa Murphy’s. Any wine that costs more than 30 bucks is a waste to me. Then again I’m not really a wine kind of guy. I think under your circumstances, no wine on this planet will sluice away the cardboard taste of DiGiorno

The best wine for pizza like that is Lambrusco. You can occasionally find a 1.5L bottle of Riunite Lambrusco for under $10. That's like two standard bottles at $5 a piece. Sweet, bubbly, it's the perfect instant Italian pairing!

Good wine choices for pizza that won't break the bank really depend on your palate. But a nice Chianti or Nero D'Avola pair well with pizza and Italian dishes. Options for both can keep you under $15 and be a nice quality wine. If California is your thing, a Pinot Noir can work well too. 

In my youth I have worked at two pizza parlors, as a result, I am a bit of a pizza snob. As a retiree I am also an organic gardener, I have beds of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, mints, garlic, etc. I tend to keep a couple $3 grocery store frozen pizzas in my freezer. I also keep a bunch of small containers of thin sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, garlic, in the freezer. So whenever I bake a frozen pizza I put on additional layers of stuff [along with fresh herbs and cheese].

6 hours ago, Zelda Runner said:

Good wine choices for pizza that won't break the bank really depend on your palate. But a nice Chianti or Nero D'Avola pair well with pizza and Italian dishes. Options for both can keep you under $15 and be a nice quality wine. If California is your thing, a Pinot Noir can work well too. 

Haha!!  Isn’t this what Hannibal Lector drank on silence of the lambs!??  Never had any but always think of that movie when I hear or see it.  Never fails!

Since you seem to be on a budget..I recommend a dry red from Charles Shaw Blend (aka, Two-Buck Chuck) from Trader Joe's!:D  (Tuxedo cat optional)

TWOBUCKCHUCKREVIEW0217_reds-copy.jpg

42 minutes ago, inkspot said:

Jesus, wine with pizza???

No kidding!

Beer, beer, and more beer. I can abide with a Coke (NOT that abomination Pepsi). Stopped into  Blaze Pizza the other day, and though the agua fresca was nice and refreshing, just didn't work with pizza.

7 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

No kidding!

Beer, beer, and more beer. I can abide with a Coke (NOT that abomination Pepsi). Stopped into  Blaze Pizza the other day, and though the agua fresca was nice and refreshing, just didn't work with pizza.

Wine with pizza is delicious!! Don't cut it until you try it ;) and I blame Italian friends for the influence. 

4 hours ago, SubmarineNavigator said:

In my youth I have worked at two pizza parlors, as a result, I am a bit of a pizza snob. As a retiree I am also an organic gardener, I have beds of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, mints, garlic, etc. I tend to keep a couple $3 grocery store frozen pizzas in my freezer. I also keep a bunch of small containers of thin sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, garlic, in the freezer. So whenever I bake a frozen pizza I put on additional layers of stuff [along with fresh herbs and cheese].

Ha! I also worked at a pizza place in high school. You Boulder folks, does Roman Village Pizza ring a bell? The one on Baseline is where I tossed pizza dough. 

2 minutes ago, a_happycamper_12 said:

I tossed pizza dough. 

Is that a sex thing...?

4 minutes ago, a_happycamper_12 said:

Ha! I also worked at a pizza place in high school. You Boulder folks, does Roman Village Pizza ring a bell? The one on Baseline is where I tossed pizza dough. 

Yup. Was good pizza. Used to work at a company that was in Boulder and we had it often when pulling long hours at the office.

9 minutes ago, Kaduk said:

Is that a sex thing...?

No, lol it is the process of enlarging pizza dough by imparting a spin on it while tossing it in the air. Then catching it as it comes back down, then repeating that until the dough is the correct size, Small, medium or large. The spinning motion stretches the dough somewha concentrically . It’s a lost practice I believe!

Edited by a_happycamper_12
Spelling

5 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Yup. Was good pizza. Used to work at a company that was in Boulder and we had it often when pulling long hours at the office.

We’re showing our age.lol

21 hours ago, ReadySetGoForIt said:

Random thought of the evening while browsing TOB.  Some frozen pizza instructions specify "bottom rack" while others state "middle rack".  I haven't noticed remarkably different results between the two settings so I'm experimenting now like any good chef.  And the wine pairing - certainly red, but is an $8 bottle the best choice for a $6 frozen pizza?  Or will a better wine enhance the overall experience?  (Yes, I know there are decent $8 wines - let's assume any wine in the discussion is drinkable).  Deep thoughts here.  Very deep.

What a great first post, I like your style! Welcome to the board. 😘

1 hour ago, Kaduk said:

Is that a sex thing...?

No, no - that's salad, not pizza.

22 hours ago, ReadySetGoForIt said:

$6 frozen pizza definitely pairs well with a gallon jug of TJ Swann. I'm not that swanky in real life but we can all dream. :D

Trust me....be it frozen pizza, or delivery....Get a bottle of Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel.

10 hours ago, a_happycamper_12 said:

OMG, I was the first employee of Roman Village Pizza. I helped the owner build out the interior (we made all the tables from scratch), and was the first cook they hired after opening. Learned to hand toss a pizza, create the signature blend of cheeses, etc. The owner was a plumber from Detroit, made the best pizza ever!

Small world, eh?

7 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

OMG, I was the first employee of Roman Village Pizza. I helped the owner build out the interior (we made all the tables from scratch), and was the first cook they hired after opening. Learned to hand toss a pizza, create the signature blend of cheeses, etc. The owner was a plumber from Detroit, made the best pizza ever!

Small world, eh?

Shit! I probably worked with you. I worked there like 1972’ 1973 ish?( Damn, I feel old.lol) Yes it was the best pizza at that time. 

Remember the arched windows where guests could watch the pizza being made? 

71 or 72, yep. By late 72, I had left to manage the Pizza Hut at 30th and Arapahoe (I was going to CU).

Perhaps our paths have crossed, you wouldn't recognize me, I've changed a bit 😎

5 minutes ago, a_happycamper_12 said:

Shit! I probably worked with you. I worked there like 1972’ 1973 ish?( Damn, I feel old.lol) Yes it was the best pizza at that time. 

Remember the arched windows where guests could watch the pizza being made? 

I built the arches!

20 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

I built the arches!

I bet we’ve met waaaaayyyyyyy back then . Too funny! 

22 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

I've changed a bit 😎

Not me! I still have that 70’s hippy ish haircut lol

And of course DON’T look ANY older than I did in high school LMAO

24 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

I built the arches!

Damn, so you’re not just another pretty face. 😎

49 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

71 or 72, yep. By late 72, I had left to manage the Pizza Hut at 30th and Arapahoe (I was going to CU).

Perhaps our paths have crossed, you wouldn't recognize me, I've changed a bit 😎

I worked at that Pizza Hut in '75 (I wasted 8 months at CU).

1 hour ago, geecue2 said:

See the source image

Now that would be the perfect pairing