Vassago

California into three different states?

27 posts in this topic

What would have been the reason for doing this? More electoral votes? Bankruptcy issues? Strange.

18 minutes ago, Vassago said:

What would have been the reason for doing this? More electoral votes? Bankruptcy issues? Strange.

What bit I know it’s a distribution of wealth disguised as making the state more manageable. At the heart is annexing the San Joaquin Valley which is tech magnet and one of, if not the wealthiest part of the state. The guy proposing the bill is a tech giant with a lot to gain should it be broken off and allowed to do its own thing. 

It is the Ludacris plan of a state full of idiots there are no more electoral votes to gain only redistributed and perhaps lose some. The cost to each individual area to develop a state government and pay for all of the services within that area would bankrupt each one of them. But it would be fun to watch them try.

Identity crisis: Which part will be Fruits, which part Flakes, and which part Nutz?

Because outside of LA and San Fran, California is starting to become more Conservative and no one wants to be a Democrat anymore. 

32 minutes ago, airamericavet65 said:

It is the Ludacris plan of a state full of idiots there are no more electoral votes to gain only redistributed and perhaps lose some. The cost to each individual area to develop a state government and pay for all of the services within that area would bankrupt each one of them. But it would be fun to watch them try.

Not exactly true. With 2 additional states, there will be 4 new senators and therefore, 4 additional Electoral votes.

Just chalk it up to the state being California and leave it at that.

50 minutes ago, madapples said:

Because outside of LA and San Fran, California is starting to become more Conservative and no one wants to be a Democrat anymore. 

Just like if you look at a map of Illinois.  Chicago carries the rest of the State to vote for a Democrat in the Presidential elections. 

22 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Just chalk it up to the state being California and leave it at that.

It’s literally not the state though. The state’s Supreme Court removed the measure from ballots because it would do more harm than good. I get there’s general hate for the state but at least reserve it for when it’s actually warranted.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/3-Californias-Tech-Billionaires-Plan-to-Split-California-into-3-Separate-States-Clears-First-Hurdle-453712033.html

47 minutes ago, eatu55 said:

Not exactly true. With 2 additional states, there will be 4 new senators and therefore, 4 additional Electoral votes.

Electoral votes work by population and distribution new Senators would only be if the areas were admitted as States

6 minutes ago, airamericavet65 said:

Electoral votes work by population and distribution new Senators would only be if the areas were admitted as States

Each state gets a minimum of 3 electoral votes. 2 based on the number of senators and the remainder based on the number of congressional districts, which is determined by population. All of this is conditional to the rest of the states (specifically Congress; Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1, authorizes the Congress to admit new states into the United States) agreeing to it.

2 hours ago, Vassago said:

Besides California just being California as ILW pointed out, I have read some about disaffection with current state policies an politics and the feeling that their voices would never be heard.  Colorado went through the same. I believe it was the 2016 election that the Eastern counties had a ballot initiative to secede from Colorado and form a new state.  There was also some talk about seceding from Colorado and petitioning Nebraska to join them.   That talk seems to come up every so often.  Speaking as a native Eastern Wastelander, us Rednecks often look at the Front Range and say WTF?

I am a native Californian [though I moved away after I retired]. Most of the state is conservative, but the liberal cities along the coast have controlled state politics for the past 20 years. the conservatives want to get away from liberal rule. The Liberals on the other hand, hate that the conservatives have been sticks in the mud that they have had to drag behind them. This ballot question would allow the progressive coastal cities to finally be free. So both sides want it.

I have friends and relatives who live in all three of these segments. So I get to hear all of their arguments.

Virginia did it, so why not let California do it too?

1 hour ago, SubmarineNavigator said:

I am a native Californian [though I moved away after I retired]. Most of the state is conservative, but the liberal cities along the coast have controlled state politics for the past 20 years. the conservatives want to get away from liberal rule. The Liberals on the other hand, hate that the conservatives have been sticks in the mud that they have had to drag behind them. This ballot question would allow the progressive coastal cities to finally be free. So both sides want it.

I have friends and relatives who live in all three of these segments. So I get to hear all of their arguments.

Virginia did it, so why not let California do it too?

I think that happened smack in the middle of the Civil War. Let's hope we don't have to have a repeat of that.

6 hours ago, eatu55 said:

I think that happened smack in the middle of the Civil War. Let's hope we don't have to have a repeat of that.

California against the rest of the country? Somehow I don’t think that’s going to work out so well for California. Now if you’ll excuse me I have three giant cases of plastic straws to buy.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, Vassago said:

I guess they want all three states to fall into the ocean 😂

31 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

I guess they want all three states to fall into the ocean 😂

That’s a great Tool song btw. I actually don’t have issues with the majority of the state. It’s the coastal cities that seem to collect all the political garbage. NYC is similar but at least NY understands it actually needs the rest of the country. Californians (meaning the small political pockets mentioned above) believe they are the country. I’ll say this, California is proof that god does have a sense of humor. 

Reminds me of a bromide I heard when I worked in France in the 90s: "France is the big beautiful country; too bad it's wasted on the French.";)

10 minutes ago, Vassago said:

That’s a great Tool song btw. I actually don’t have issues with the majority of the state. It’s the coastal cities that seem to collect all the political garbage. NYC is similar but at least NY understands it actually needs the rest of the country. Californians (meaning the small political pockets mentioned above) believe they are the country. I’ll say this, California is proof that god does have a sense of humor. 

I’ll see you in Arizona Bay there buddy. 

States with proposed referenda to divide into two or more states, or states that have had such referenda in recent years, are plainly full of fruits, flakes, and nuts. That especially applies to the region(s) of the state that want to secede. Prime example: ***t******r* ******** in 201*. :)

4 hours ago, Kaduk said:

I’d be far more afraid of China than Russia. Politico is a bit liberally slanted, but GDP in Russia right now is not good. China has been a long growing force for 30 plus years now. They manufacture mediocre parts for dirt cheap. With many slow growing small businesses, to buy American parts would bankrupt them.

My case in point; I’m a prosumer metal craftsman that will sell ornamental metals, perhaps later knives, individually over internet sites. Not really a burgeoning business. It’s a hobby. However, someone in a similar situation who might be serious about forming a small business couldn’t possibly compete with giant conglomerate manufacturing companies now.

I my own personal example;

I purchased welding torch heads, a mig welder kit, helmet, grips, tongs, hoses, regulators, bla bla bla..,

I paid a fraction of what I would pay at say Airgas. All of these products were made in China. The end result of the subject produced is arguably the same as it would have been had I bought American. 

China has had a boner for the US for a really long time. 

I don’t need to mention all the cyber security issues going on. The Chinese government has all but endorsed specific attacks to steal American research data. 

I’m not really that worried about Russia. California wants to say bye, bye.

How’s those Mandarin lessons working out for you?

Edited by Vassago

Also secession is an entirely different animal than vivisection. To separate against the will of Congress smells like a declaration of war. With 30 some odd US military bases, and 50 ships in San Diego alone. There is no way the rest of America is going to let hostile communist nations get a foot hold by brute force. California also has one of lowest enlistment rates in the country. Good luck raising an army to defend yourselves. 

Most Californians are NOT the lunatic far left. As far as mister Draper is concerned, I think he would know better than to try and draft another Luxembourg. We’ll just shut off his fucking water supply. 

Edited by Vassago

The California Supreme Court quashed this possibility a few days ago. It's over for now.

Edited by pfunk
missed a word

I once heard someone say they wish California would break off from the mainland and float away completely. 

2 hours ago, Nina Rox said:

I once heard someone say they wish California would break off from the mainland and float away completely. 

“I’m praying for rain.

I’m praying for tidal waves

I want to see the ground give way...”

Aenema - Tool

You made me recall a gorgeous song from Dublin that makes no sense.

Orphan Girl. Most of them did not even survive the cross of the Atlantic. Such a very tiny percent of them left for Australia. How would they have ever survived? I guess sail me away to the America’s doesn’t possess the same vernacular ring even if it’s true.

fuck Brendan Graham. Still, pretty song. Has nothing to do with California.