Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaisyMeetsDallas

Best fishing spots!

35 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Bullseye73 said:

Awesome, thanks man!

I am not buying a word of it. No bass no crappie no frickin way water temp at 74, not at 9000 ft elevation. It is a very pretty but small lake. Stocker trout mainly rainbow, few brookies and cutthroat. Great place to take kids. If you are serious adult i would say lots better choices - twin, clear creek, turquoise, taylor, blue mesa all with potential for bigger fish and more elbow room.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, inkspot said:

Go through Canon City on Highway 50. Take a left (west) just past town. The gravel road goes through a tunnel where Cat Ballou was filmed. You can fish for miles uninterrupted along the railroad tracks on the Arkansas River. Excellent stream fishing. Only way to get there is walk. Fishing is excellent now.

The Leadville area is also excellent for fishing.  I was there Friday morning. The fishing was so good, I had to stand behind a tree to bait my hook. No kidding. 

The Arkansas provides some of the best fishing in the country, especially if you are looking for something close to the Springs.  Big fish, deep holes, and if you follow the advice above, lots of solitude.  No matter where you go, we all should be out of the water by noon these days, the fish get really stressed when the temps rise, and they are really rising these days by noon.  Be kind to the fish, we want them to be there for our kids too.

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

I am not buying a word of it. No bass no crappie no frickin way water temp at 74, not at 9000 ft elevation. It is a very pretty but small lake. Stocker trout mainly rainbow, few brookies and cutthroat. Great place to take kids. If you are serious adult i would say lots better choices - twin, clear creek, turquoise, taylor, blue mesa all with potential for bigger fish and more elbow room.

I was wondering that myself but being that I’ve never fished the area, I wasn’t going to argue.  Seems too high and cold for cats and bass and walleye.  I’m fine with stocker trout, wife and kids like quick action, not necessarily large fish, trophies or multiple species.  They’d rather pull out a baby rainbow every 5 minutes and throw them back.  Keep enough decent ones for a dinner while camping.  

On 7/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, DaisyMeetsDallas said:

I heard there's some good fishing spots closer to Denver Brighton area. Barr lake? I might try that one out this week for a few days.  My life revolves around fishing. Clearly bahahahhaha

I go fishing every week. If you don't mind the hr drive eleven mile reservoir is the best place to fish, it has rainbow, brown, cutthroat trout, norther pike, and kokanee salmon. Rampart reservoir in Woodland park has trout, same with Crystal creek lake, south and north Catamount which are before woodland park off pikes peak toll hey. If you don't want to go far from Colorado Springs you could go to monument they have palmer lake and monument lake for catfish, trout and sunfish. Pikeview reservoir off garden of the gods has catfish, carp and trout. Pueblo reservoir has walleye, catfish, bass, crappie, bluegill and rainbow trout. 

Edited by Osirus

It's been awhile, but when I wanted a change of pace and didn't want any competition, I used to sight cast to carp on the Platte right along the bike path in back of where REI is.  They are as tough and wary as any flats fish and will take a nymph/crawfishy pattern.