Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaisyMeetsDallas

Best fishing spots!

35 posts in this topic

I went to Breckenridge this weekend, and fishing was great, but what's closer to the springs? 

Pueblo reservoir and the Arkansas river down in Pueblo is about 45-50 minutes away.  You have Deckers, and 11 mile too.

My favorite places are Terryal, Skaguay and Monumemt lake.  Monument geta incredibly busy since its in town but it can be very fun.  You can also pay the money to hit Pikes Peak and fish the Catamount lakes which ive always wanted to do.

For stream fishing I recommend:

1. Deckers

2. Arkansas River upstream from Canon City to Salida area

3. 11 Mile Canyon, below the dam

For lake fishing your best and closest bet will be 11 Mile Reservoir. A boat will be best, but I have caught quite a few nice trout from the bank, especially in the fall, early morning or late afternoon.

Be sure to review the Colorado fishing regulations. Some of these waters are restricted (no bait fishing, artificial flies and lures only), some have size restrictions, some are strictly catch & release.

I would offer to guide you, but I'm sure that would be seen as an overt attempt to take advantage of an attractive young lady, so I'll let you work out your own arrangements!

I’ve been to Deckers but honestly it’s waaay overcrowded. I hear Leadville this time of year is good. Best time of year for me though is early April. I do it once a year every year. I go with a guide. This year I fished a private section near Bailey. It’s not the Springs but then if you want to fish the wilds of this beautiful state, you need to travel just a little bit

Anyone fished Quail Lake? I'm more so on the side of going to the super private places! There's one I went to years ago, but you need 4 wheel drive, and my little car is anything but! It's near Marble! 

Nowhere close to Colorado Springs, but the San Juan River gold medal and lower waters are always productive  IF you can match the hatch and do a proper presentation.  That last part is why I often hire a guide.

Lots of spots along the south platte near spinney/ 11 mile/ fairplay, Dream stream (section between 11 and spinney) has great fishing, it gets crowded but not like Deckers.

Go through Canon City on Highway 50. Take a left (west) just past town. The gravel road goes through a tunnel where Cat Ballou was filmed. You can fish for miles uninterrupted along the railroad tracks on the Arkansas River. Excellent stream fishing. Only way to get there is walk. Fishing is excellent now.

The Leadville area is also excellent for fishing.  I was there Friday morning. The fishing was so good, I had to stand behind a tree to bait my hook. No kidding. 

But honestly fishing isn’t the weight plate. It’s a journey. Nothing on this earth = your  imagination of the fight. This earth is majestically gorgeous. You’re a fisherman when you watch her gasp for breath. When you see her rainbows and she is more beautiful than you in all your tattoos. Pretend like you’ve met her before. Put your hands under her belly. You in all your wildest dreams will never be so pure. 

Thats why I fish.

Tight lines.

7 minutes ago, Vassago said:

But honestly fishing isn’t the weight plate. It’s a journey. Nothing on this earth = your  imagination of the fight. This earth is majestically gorgeous. You’re a fisherman when you watch her gasp for breath. When you see her rainbows and she is more beautiful than you in all your tattoos. Pretend like you’ve met her before. Put your hands under her belly. You in all your wildest dreams will never be so pure. 

Thats why I fish.

Tight lines.

It is a lot more fun when you catch fish.

3 hours ago, inkspot said:

Go through Canon City on Highway 50. Take a left (west) just past town. The gravel road goes through a tunnel where Cat Ballou was filmed. You can fish for miles uninterrupted along the railroad tracks on the Arkansas River. Excellent stream fishing. Only way to get there is walk. Fishing is excellent now.

A very nice and scenic two mile hike in to trail end, but not until the second mile before it is not more of a climb down than I care for anymore.  Also be aware that you have to trespass on railroad property and tracks to get to the river or to continue up past trail end.  They have been known to call le and press charges.  Some nice fish though.  Oh, yeah, watch for falling rocks - the big horns seem to enjoy knocking them lose from way above lol.

12 hours ago, DaisyMeetsDallas said:

Anyone fished Quail Lake? I'm more so on the side of going to the super private places! There's one I went to years ago, but you need 4 wheel drive, and my little car is anything but! It's near Marble! 

Places where there are NOT many people around are my favorite.  But you are getting here about 30 years too late to find many very easily.  Way too f'ing many people here anymore.  And a quiet place within hour of Springs ..... not likely. 

Since they started charging a daily fee for Twin Lakes (between Buena Vista and Leadville off Independence Pass road) the lakes can be almost deserted during the week,  You can drive your little car up to parking spots near DOW restrooms on the north side.  Or you can drive on the south side almost to the trail head that takes you after a good hike to the historic Interlaken Hotel - built in 1800's.  See link.  Fishing is for rainbow, brown and lake trout.  You have to release all lake trout between 22 and 34 inches. (Yes, there are some over 34 inches)  State record for brook trout came from these lakes and still stands.  Plus it is just damn gorgeous, and if fishing is slow it is a five minute drive up to the forebay (bay, not play!!! ..... but, why not both) and a short drive to Turquoise or Clear Creek Reservoirs.  Or fish the Arkansas River.  Campground by west lake, shoe box rentals in town of Twin Lakes.

If you REALLY want to get away from people take atv ride above Westcliffe to Hermit Lake, Horseshoe Lake, keep going to top of ridge and hike over to Eureka.  Rarely anyone there.  Go very early before thunderstorms roll in - not good to be on the ridge when one crops up.

http://www.hikingwalking.com/index.php/destinations/co/co_cent/buena_vista/interlaken

As to favorite spots, I don't tell - I only show a select few hehe.

24 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

Places where there are NOT many people around are my favorite.  

As to favorite spots, I don't tell - I only show a select few hehe.

Would I be able to put my boat on it....

2C8B2B3F-6C9B-49CF-84A0-622A86632E51.jpeg

I heard there's some good fishing spots closer to Denver Brighton area. Barr lake? I might try that one out this week for a few days.  My life revolves around fishing. Clearly bahahahhaha

Rio Grande has very little water especially up by Creede. Last I saw it was running 83 cfs. Record low levels

Not good for the fish. 

Courtesy of Laci via text...I love it. If you've never met a grizzly in the wild don't, I have. It's their fish...not yours. 

QCE9YKC.jpg?1

After what one of those things did to Leonardo DiCaprio, I understand exactly. Grizzlies scare the shit out of me. Not real keen on mother Mountain Lions either.

Big foot on the other hand is fucking hilarious.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:07 PM, fishndude57 said:

Courtesy of Laci via text...I love it. If you've never met a grizzly in the wild don't, I have. It's their fish...not yours. 

QCE9YKC.jpg?1

When I briefly lived in Alaska, we went salmon fishing nearly every night, and usually caught our limit within an hour or two.  The locals advised us to carry our main stringer in one hand, and the two worst fish in the other.  That way, if a bear starts to chase you, you can drop the two fish and he will stop to eat them while you get to the car with the main catch.  Never had to do it, but did watch it work like a charm with another fisherman.  The bears in Alaska have a pretty nice protection racket going.

Quail Lake is good for early season stocker trout. From July on good for carp, catfish at night.

Best fishing spot I know is off the coast of Santa Barbara caught a world record halibut there but unfortunately it got away before I could get it in the boat

Does anyone here fish lake O’Haver?  I’m looking at heading down there in the next couple weeks.  Wondering if anyone has any info on it before I go down and test my 1st timer luck!  I’m not looking for a specific honey hole or anything, just maybe a few tips and pointers on what the trout look at. 

49 minutes ago, Bullseye73 said:

Does anyone here fish lake O’Haver?  I’m looking at heading down there in the next couple weeks.  Wondering if anyone has any info on it before I go down and test my 1st timer luck!  I’m not looking for a specific honey hole or anything, just maybe a few tips and pointers on what the trout look at. 

https://www.fishingnotes.com/fishing-report/co/O-Haver-Lake