Mr.Pink

BP advertising techniques that need to go away.

71 posts in this topic

Ransom note typography is the worst artifact of bad BP ads in my opinion.

Our Megan here made a good point some time back.  Ads, pictures, styles, they all must be tailored to the wants and needs of the target audience.  While many of us here are not understanding or liking the bunny ears, big eyes, new slang, etc., there is still a target market that would look at that and go "Damn, thats my shizzle" or some such and book an appt.    It's all marketing for the lady.  

Makes me think of car marketing sometimes too.  A new car comes out, is marketed towards the young, hip crowd.  All the buyers however are in their 40s, 50s.  Are the car marketers surprised by this, or was it just part of their plan?

53 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Our Megan here made a good point some time back.  Ads, pictures, styles, they all must be tailored to the wants and needs of the target audience.  While many of us here are not understanding or liking the bunny ears, big eyes, new slang, etc., there is still a target market that would look at that and go "Damn, thats my shizzle" or some such and book an appt.    It's all marketing for the lady.  

Makes me think of car marketing sometimes too.  A new car comes out, is marketed towards the young, hip crowd.  All the buyers however are in their 40s, 50s.  Are the car marketers surprised by this, or was it just part of their plan?

If only they spent a minute on that. Too many are just lifting their ads and dropping them where the guys are. I like to think that the TOB gents are a bit discriminating (you know how I'm using the word).

1 hour ago, mountainrider33 said:

I'm going to hijack your car analogy.  I would think that women here would try to reach two markets, the general population(having an ad like a Toyota Camry) or high end(like a BMW 720i).  If you go with a bunch of Snapchat photos then it's like advertising a Scion XB, which means you're only looking for the younger crowd.  I've never seen a 40 or 50 something in one of those.  I have a history of going after the sports car girls, young and fast but usually has horrible reliability.  I'm in my 40's, so maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis.

One thing I learned though is, how they market is their business, not mine, unless they ask.  My initial thought is yeah, I agree, things like having a mix of pro photos/selfies, an ad that promises the best experience for everyone!  Having an ad that reaches out to all markets makes sense right?  

The feedback has been nope... no way.  There's a target market that each reaches for, because that's what they feel comfortable with, and are best at.

1 hour ago, mountainrider33 said:

I'll also throw in that many of the Sports car girls look absolutely amazing, would expect great performance, and look fun to ride.  The problem is that they end up being like a Mitsubishi 3000GT, beautiful and fast looking but no options and the performance is horrible.  Sometimes you run into a "sleeper", one that looks pedestrian but the moment you get in you realize that you better hold on for dear life.

Hehheh, a buddy has 2 3000GTs.  One is a daily driver that's plenty fast as is, the other is a sleeper but he's constantly having to fuss with it to keep it running right.  But to the untrained eye, they both look pretty much the same car....

1 hour ago, eatu55 said:

If only they spent a minute on that. Too many are just lifting their ads and dropping them where the guys are. I like to think that the TOB gents are a bit discriminating (you know how I'm using the word).

You're right when you refer to TOB gents as those that mostly frequent the forums. 

Remember though, in the new modern reality, this is now the go-to place for not just "us" but every guy around, from crusty old miners and cowboys up to us gentrified cattle ranch owners...

1 minute ago, FuriousWeasel said:

You're right when you refer to TOB gents as those that mostly frequent the forums. 

Remember though, in the new modern reality, this is now the go-to place for not just "us" but every guy around, from crusty old miners and cowboys up to us gentrified cattle ranch owners...

I have definitely felt a better connection with the ladies since I got more active on the forums. Any FNG can learn a ton and help the hobby by taking good advice.

8 minutes ago, eatu55 said:

I have definitely felt a better connection with the ladies since I got more active on the forums. Any FNG can learn a ton and help the hobby by taking good advice.

My buddy who also has hobbied on and off over the years, he knows what he's doing, but he's just not the kind that would ever participate on a forum.  Just not his style.... He'd go right for the listings and make a decision in like 2 minutes.  Then wouldn't come back to the website for a month or so.

3 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

My buddy who also has hobbied on and off over the years, he knows what he's doing, but he's just not the kind that would ever participate on a forum.  Just not his style.... He'd go right for the listings and make a decision in like 2 minutes.  Then wouldn't come back to the website for a month or so.

If he's confident in himself and his reputation and knows the ladies he wants to see, that's totally legit. 

SESTA/FOSTA and the risk of looking other ways of connecting caused me to be more proactive in the community. I'm happy with my decision to engage more. I feel I know the guys more and can trust them to give good info. It's hard to know what you can say to someone you have no knowledge of. 

On 7/9/2018 at 3:50 PM, gr8owl said:

Especially if there is a floater present - an all time classic! 

Damn..You brought up a repressed memory right there, thanks a lot! HAHA