Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

One of my favorite holidays is coming up and I'm not ready.

11 posts in this topic

I absolutely love july 4th for the obvious reasons fireworks, BBQ, parties and its in summer. I've been busy the past few weeks and have not gotten anything. I really wanna make it to our Wyoming neighbors for fireworks as its tradition and need some 4th of July food. What's everyone make for this fun holiday need some new ideas and where do you all watch. I found a place year's ago that I can watch 5-6 shows from one spot.  But don't think I'll make it over there. I need ideas for recipes and places to watch with not a big crowd. O only 3 days can't wait. Happy 4th week everyone hope ur enjoying the end of the weekend.  🎇🎆😘 VIOLET❤

I usually just find a rooftop downtown to watch. It's also great for catching the rockies show too. 

This time of year, I don't go too far off the grid re: food. It's hot out, lots of food is heavy in the heat. So, I stick to usual things like smoke some ribs, pulled pork, burgers, sausages. Stuff you don't really need plates to eat. Can smoke on an ordinary grill. 

Where you can change things up is things like the slaw: bbq place I go to does a great horseradish slaw (been meaning to try coming up with that recipe on my own). Broccoli slaw vs traditional. Soopers/City Market does a summer slaw which is a nice change. Various lighter salad sides. 

Pork green chile, I'll use tomatillos this time of year: get a more lemony/tart flavor to it (but still too heavy imo, but a bit lighter).

Take smoked pork and make a black bean chile from that (KT's does a great one).

Make/get some fried chicken.

Sausages, Whole Foods does some really good ones. Continental Deli on Steele St in Cherry Creek has some of the best I've had east of the Missippi.

Maybe easy to just get alot of this done ahead and setup buffet style. Stuff to easily pull from the cooler and enjoy.

One thing I do do on car camping trips for day one is to prep margs. Fresh lime and oj in Nalgenes and the mix at the site.

If you can get downtown like jj25 said, you can see lots of different shows. It's great. 

Food wise, I'm a whole foods kind of person lol. Good hamburger and real hot dogs from there. Oh gosh if some corn is out, grilled corn with spices or olive oil, butter and salt :) 

3 minutes ago, BeachTimeTraveler said:

Oh gosh if some corn is out, grilled corn with spices or olive oil, butter and salt :) 

Yes! This time of year, going full on corn. On the cob, grilled corn salads, creamed with bourbon and roasted green chiles. Corn breads.

I’m seeing a lot of great food options, so I’m going to suggest a festive drink, instead.

I like watermelon lemonade! You would make it just like regular fresh squeezed lemonade, just purée some watermelon and  push the juices through a strainer over the lemonade pitcher. You can try making it with agave syrup and a sprig of mint, if you’re feeling fancy. If you’re feeling EXTRA fancy, you could garnish with a slice of watermelon, or freeze watermelon cubes to act as non diluting icy cubes of deliciousness. 

Watermelon lemonade sounds amazing and the corn on the cob sounds stellar. I dunno where I'm going to end up but I do know that fireworks, BBQ and fun are in my future.  

Go to king Soopers to the deli and ask for their Red white and blue potato salad....it’s incredible! 

Otherwise fruit salad is always good, macaroni salad or pasta salad.....bbq ribs etc! 

Sorry everyone, normally that would have been my day off so I could also have my own fun. Unfortunately  I have to do mandatory overtime that night.

My sister's family tradition is to hit a water park every July 4th.  I think they've done that every year for 10-15 years now. 

Now that I'm in Wyoming I don't know that I can join that plan but it was fun when we lived near one.