Bora Bora

Marathon and pre-race sex

13 posts in this topic

For men and women who like marathons and abstain from sex the day before:

In a study conducted at California State University, San Marcos, researchers had 12 men do tests of leg muscle strength on two occasions: once after having had sex in the previous 12 hours, and once after having abstained from sex in the previous 12 hours. Whether the subjects’ recent past included coupling didn’t matter. Their peak and average performance in a five-set series of knee extension and knee flexion exercises didn’t differ between the sex and no-sex trials...

Full article on Runnersworld.com here

Never thought sex interfered with life's fun and Adventures in fact always thought it enhanced things. Glad to hear actual confirmation of my experiences

This is good news and backs up what I have always thought. I find sex the night before a race helps burn the nervous energy that keeps me from going to sleep. A good nights sleep is critical to a good race. 

No sex before a event is what you tell kids so they don't stay up all night before a game trying to get laid. The sex isn't the bad part, it's missing the rest you need that is the mistake. So Hobby the night before your race and race better!

Becoming blind, growing hair on your palms or ending up in hell, were too long range to deter 13 year old boys, so we came up with Achilles, Sampson and sapping your athletic performance....

LMAO, why would anyone ever abstain from sex before a race? It's a great way to relax and fall asleep on time before the big morning race. 

4 hours ago, Zelda Runner said:

LMAO, why would anyone ever abstain from sex before a race? It's a great way to relax and fall asleep on time before the big morning race. 

I wouldn't know, but maybe some people put extra wear on their leg's muscles because of the positions they like? :) 

12 minutes ago, Bora Bora said:

I wouldn't know, but maybe some people put extra wear on their leg's muscles because of the positions they like? :) 

LOL, most can't sleep the night before due to excitement. So it's a fun way to wear out some energy and attempt to get some sleep. Trail races are that exciting to those of us crazies who love to compete. And perhaps those positions can warm up the muscles in the wee hours before heading to the starting line. 

If TOB had a race what would it look like?

If it was up to me it would be a trail race on as much single track as possible with a LOT of climbing and milage. My morning run tomorrow before work will be 9+ miles almost 2500 of climbing and descending each. I know, I'm not right in the head. Somehow I think pain and suffering are fun if self inflicted in the right situations. YMMV, right?

Edited by funallnigjt
left a word out.

3 hours ago, mountainrider33 said:

It was one of those false theories that have been passed down from one generation of coaches to the next.  Hell, watch the Rocky movie again, the trainer tells him no women because it weakens the legs before a fight.

Maybe Rocky was fond of the standing 69 position . . . 

Most of those examples in the article are only based on endurance type activities. Which are know to cause a drop in resting testosterone levels. Power type sports or those requiring increased aggression levels may fair differently.

Fyi, the second part of my comment, isn't directed at mountainrider.

But just the general subject.

If you thinking boxing does not require endurance, you are very mistaken. Try going even 3 rounds sparring (not fighting) in the ring and you will quickly understand the level of training it takes to even do that. I've seen ultra runners struggle. And no, I would not have sex before a fight for a number of reasons, one being that you are usually trying to drop weight, and dehydrated. Not enjoyable...I'm sure the wrestling crowd gets this. Maybe for running it is good, not boxing.

With a shattered ankle & torn MCL, running is out for me. And to think that I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes 😁

Airplane landings are over rated, always jump out when you have the chance.