Bora Bora

Your GPS location on your selfies

19 posts in this topic

A recent thread, where requesting a picture for verification purposes was mentioned, brought to my attention that not too many people are aware that most iPhones, Android phones and digital cameras embed the GPS information of where the picture was taking in the digital information of the picture. It's just there hidden, along with your beautiful smile :)

The digital information that comes with the pictures is called EXIF. It contains a lot of information about the picture itself, including Geolocation. There are many EXIF free readers on the web. You just upload a picture and it will give you the GPS coordinates that you can locate on google maps.

If you ever have to send a picture taken with your phone, there are also free web services that erase all the EXIF information from the picture.

Just a little piece of information that might be useful if a picture is ever requested.

Edited by Bora Bora

This was very very helpful, thank you for all of the great information.  I knew there was a reason I don't send out selfies.  Very scary!  Stay safe my beautiful friends...

Thanks for sharing.  Makes me wonder what  intentions “pic collectors” have when they ask for pics to prove I’m the same girl in the ad and they are ncns.  I stopped sending pics out because of that. 

It’s also a bad idea to click on a link someone sends.  There are tools that can mask a real link to a real website, enabling the sender to get your IP address and get the geo coordinates which can be used to find exact location. 

I can really see a safety concern here for the Ladies. I've never ever asked for a pic, I've never been asked for one of me. Don't know how to take a selfie anyway. I've never been burnt by anyone yet. That being said, I choose to do my due diligence and supply same if requested, i.e., filling out the info sheet they require on their website. I really don't see the need to make this any more difficult than it already is, especially in this atmosphere right now. There have been more than a few that have taken a chance on me, so far no issues both sides, at least I like to think so. 

This is spooky.  Wish we could put all the bad apples on an island. 

Thanks for sharing. 

5 hours ago, Laci French said:

This is spooky.  Wish we could put all the bad apples on an island. 

Thanks for sharing. 

At one time we did, the island was called BackPage. :D

13 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

. Don't know how to take a selfie anyway.

Aim camera at yourself...then click.

This is why the selfie I send out (yeah, right) was taken overlooking the Coliseum in Rome 😁

It's almost more fun to edit the exif data and see if it's noticed.  Take a selfie, holding a rifle, out on a grassy knoll somewhere.  Edit the GPS to Dallas, and the date to Nov 22, 1963.  

Even in this capacity,it seems to hint at narcism with all the selfie pics  that one sees on social media daily. I prefer to see you in pictures that are the real you. Instead of one that you have staged .  ☘️

The location question got me to thinking about trackability so I did a little experiment. I opened a fresh private browser session and went to duckduckgo and searched my TOB handle (I also searched a couple of others just to make sure there wasn't some remnant of cache info available). Guess what, everything we type in the forums is readable on the interwebs. If you find a handle, you can see all they post in the forums without signing in to TOB. Also, your avatar is also there.

28 minutes ago, eatu55 said:

The location question got me to thinking about trackability so I did a little experiment. I opened a fresh private browser session and went to duckduckgo and searched my TOB handle (I also searched a couple of others just to make sure there wasn't some remnant of cache info available). Guess what, everything we type in the forums is readable on the interwebs. If you find a handle, you can see all they post in the forums without signing in to TOB. Also, your avatar is also there.

Wow, I wish sites like these would be accessible to members only.  P411 just recently made it private so you have to be signed on to view the ads.  I so appreciate that. 

11 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

Aim camera at yourself...then click.

:eek:

3 hours ago, eatu55 said:

I had to search my handle plus the website name, because there were thousands of other references to my handle :)

But good to know, thanks for the tip!

Its information that a lot of people either don't know about or forget about.

The GPS data in a pic is what helped the FBI nab a hacker.

His calling card was an image of his girlfriend's boobs.

FBI surveyed the location which was his GFs home, eventually catching him.

2 hours ago, Coloseeker said:

Its information that a lot of people either don't know about or forget about.

The GPS data in a pic is what helped the FBI nab a hacker.

His calling card was an image of his girlfriend's boobs.

FBI surveyed the location which was his GFs home, eventually catching him.

Them fucking stalkers and FBI (aka professional licensed stalkers) lol

Interesting topic.  I looked at my new phone and it was already set to no location.   As I opened up and installed apps when it asked me if I wanted to share my location I always answered no except to the few likes.  I did a good thing I guess with out even knowing it.   I appreciated the insight from everyone.