Barbi

This was posted in Florida Section, Seem Rather Important

17 posts in this topic

Not sure if everyone is aware of this or not but seems important as it could be happening to some here as we chat about it....

On 4/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, milehijas said:

Please be aware of this scam to hack emails that I just reported and confirmed with Google:

Text message from # 949 522-7288 saying that Gmail just received a request to reset your password from another device. In my case it actually said 'will's iphone'. Asks for a Y or N reply if you made the request. When you say N, it says it will send you a verification code which you should copy and paste into this text to proceed. The verification code comes from another number: 22000. This all looks very legit. When you send the code it asks you to reply with your account password. BIG RED FLAG! I immediately changed my password, check my security and recovery settings, checked devices that accessed my account recently, checked my recovery email for notifications because I believed this was a scam, so...

I just got off the phone w/ Google and wanted to share this info. That text message was not from Google. It was a scam to collect passwords. Google customer support confirmed that they will NEVER ask for a password via a text message, and they will always email first via your recovery account if someone has tried to hack your account. They only text you when you request it, and their texts would come from an 800 number. NEVER share your email password with anyone. Google and other email providers will NEVER ask you to. I know of one provider who has already fallen for this scam. I am naturally skeptical b/c I worked in technology most of my life.

These are crazy times. Be aware and stay safe!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, in general with anyone you have an online presence with, the legit ones will not ask for your password, account number, etc (eg. Bank/credit card company will not be contacting to verify your card number, user id, password). If you have doubts go directly to the company's website or call their 800 number vs. clicking the handy link they provided.

How I work this: I have 2-factor authentication turned on and use a 2FA app to generate keys (so if bad guy has password, still need to get a code from MY app to enter). Password is random and really long as generally only need to enter it once. Password manager app so I don't have to remember the really long password (and can copy/paste the password from the app on the rare occassion I need to enter it).

I'm an IT geek here's the advice I always give to people when they get a message like this:

1. NEVER click the link! 
  2. NEVER respond to it the way they ask you to

If you're concerned that the message may be legitimate, call the company via a different phone number that you either have because of your relationship with them or you've found on their official website.  A chat window from their official website is often ok as well.

Thanks for the heads up! There seem to be many scams happening via text messaging. Delete anything that doesn't make sense. Never click links. Sad there are so many bored criminals in this world. 

27 minutes ago, CountryGentleman said:

I'm an IT geek here's the advice I always give to people when they get a message like this:

1. NEVER click the link! 

If you're concerned that the message may be legitimate, call the company via a different phone number that you either have because of your relationship with them or you've found on their official website.  A chat window from their official website is often ok as well.

Happens at least 2x daily but from Apple scammers. I never punched the link or pdf but googled Apple scams. Let me know to forward those emails to reportphishing@apple.com and I just move to junk, then check my account to make sure there's no funny transactions. So many scammers. 

43 minutes ago, CountryGentleman said:

1. NEVER click the link! 

SO TRUE....Holy mackerel never click the link...

My take on what is being said is that someone is requesting a google code to recover a gmail account and then sending a text message saying that they are google and they will receive a code and they need to fill in the code  and send it....The code arrives and if you type it into the message they hacker the gains control of your gmail account....

Thanks for the info. 

24 minutes ago, Barbi said:

My take on what is being said is that someone is requesting a google code to recover a gmail account and then sending a text message saying that they are google and they will receive a code and they need to fill in the code  and send it....The code arrives and if you type it into the message they hacker the gains control of your gmail account....

The way I read it:

• Hacker sends a text message: Hi, this is Google. Someone is trying to reset your password. Respond Y/N if this was you (to know they have a live one)
  • Send back a message: here is an (fake) authentication code, please click on this link to verify your identity
  • Click link, get a form with a box to enter the code they sent you, and to "make sure you really are you", a box to enter your password
Edited by NoCoGeezer

Never ever click on those links.

They can steal your passwords or maybe even install a keystroke logger in your computer without your knowledge.

For example, this morning I woke up, checked my emails and had and email from an engineer that works for me that said invoice.

I was able to view the email and it had a file attached asking me to review the "invoice" before he submitted it, his actual name and a phone number...a number that was not his number.

Obviously a hack attempt and immediately deleted the email.

21 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Never ever click on those links.

They can steal your passwords or maybe even install a keystroke logger in your computer without your knowledge.

For example, this morning I woke up, checked my emails and had and email from an engineer that works for me that said invoice.

I was able to view the email and it had a file attached asking me to review the "invoice" before he submitted it, his actual name and a phone number...a number that was not his number.

Obviously a hack attempt and immediately deleted the email.

That’s why I always ask you first😂😂😂

Very important....and very wise to remember to ask first....Your the best Lacy....:cool:

12 hours ago, Barbi said:

Not sure if everyone is aware of this or not but seems important as it could be happening to some here as we chat about it....

Barbi, thanks for sharing this.  I try to take care with my on-line life and am very security conscious (some might say overly cautious).  But I've had my identity hacked twice.  Luckily, the financial institutions involved made everything whole again, but what a pain in the tush and a lot of personal stress until they were each resolved.

ugh...as posted above...never...and i mean NEVER click on a link in an email or text.  period end of story.   If you think the message might be legit, either log onto the company website and look for the same content or call...

phishing scams look very real...almost identical content to the source company.   only the link will be off...might even be just slightly off to the point of looking legit.  

just don't...like drunk dialing...just don't!  lol

I have my google set up to ask me certain things if I ever use a different device as it recognizes the two that I use because I made them accessible. I do this so if I ever get anything like this, I won't be duped because if they see anything weird they notify me immediately of suspicious activity. I love that extra security. It also shows me my weekly activity so I can see where it was used. I would know very quickly if I was hacked due to that. It is always good to go into their privacy settings and familiarize yourself with how they work so you don't get scammed with anything.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

25 minutes ago, SultryKitten said:

I have my google set up to ask me certain things if I ever use a different device as it recognizes the two that I use because I made them accessible. I do this so if I ever get anything like this, I won't be duped because if they see anything weird they notify me immediately of suspicious activity. I love that extra security. It also shows me my weekly activity so I can see where it was used. I would know very quickly if I was hacked due to that. It is always good to go into their privacy settings and familiarize yourself with how they work so you don't get scammed with anything.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Exactly the smart thing to do, 

Excellent advise Samantha....Thanks