Cato

Top 10 Must Have vinyl albums to own

44 posts in this topic

Recently I have gotten into collecting vinyl records.  Here is a recommendation of Must Have vinyl:

1.  Blue Train by John Coltrane

2.  Random Access Memories by Daft Punk

3.  Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan

4.  Nighthawks at the Diner by Tom Waits

5.  The Band by The Band

6.  Beethoven:. Symphonies No's. 5&7  Carlos Kleiber conductor

7.  Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen

8.  Black Messiah by D'Angelo

9. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest

10. Thriller by Michael Jackson

These all have a quality of sound that compliments the snap crackle and pop from a vinyl record.

What vinyl albums do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, CandiO said:

You forgot Dark Side of the Moon

And "Wish You Were Here". A fave of mine from the vinyl days and in a certain "mind set".

Having been on the planet at the height of vinyl and CDs (and eight track... oy!), not missing vinyl. I have listened to outstandingly mastered digital music, have had really nice audio gear, but in my old age, appreciating the convenience of digital and not getting snooty about audio quality anymore. Degraded hearing with age, listening while working out or in the car, cheap earbuds (but still with decent reproduction), it's not like I am in concert hall like situations.

What is heartening is that the younger generations are embracing better sounding audio via vinyl. Last few decades have had some really poorly mastered music (read: max loudness, over pronounced bass, muddled middles) and the vinyl resurrection has turned out music that has been mastered much better. Then again, nothing really new: Beatles snobs say you need to listen to the mono releases as those were the ones the Beatles cared about vs stereo which were an after thought and pretty much ignored by the Beatles.

Anything Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Santana. When I got divorced in 2005 I let my ex keep our 3000+ album collection. She had to sell off when she was diagnosed with cancer. She got a fair penny for the entire collection, no idea how much we tied up in it. 

OK, OK Just could not stop at ten

LA Woman – The Doors

Surrealistic Pillow – Jefferson Airplane

Aqualung – Jethro Tull

Full House Live – J Geils Band

Dream Boat Annie – Heart

II and IV – Led Zeppelin

Eliminator – ZZ Top

Snaz Live – Nazareth

Disraeli Gears – Cream

Ssssh – Ten Years After

Child of the Novelty – Mahogany Rush

Machine Head – Deep Purple

Are you Experienced –  The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Heros Are Hard to Find – Fleetwood Mac

Heaven in This Hell – Orianthi

Force It – UFO

Calling Card – Rory Gallagher

Grateful Dead – Grateful  Dead

Live at the Fillmore – Lucinda Williams

Paranoid – Black Sabbath

Appetite for Destruction – Guns N’ Roses

On a related note, reissued turntable costs are significantly higher these days, due to missing plans, tooling, etc. Have not priced to see if they have come down, so this might be a bit out-of-date.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/technics-explains-sl-1200-turntable-price/

This sucker was about $400-500 back in the day, though not as high tech as this version.

I agree anything Doors...duh The Beatles, band or solo. 

led zep 1 thru 4 + Physical Graffiti...well shoot any led zep works!  but Kashmir is an ATF l-z song of mine.

I have a pristeen vinyl first-issue of Janis Joplin and the Holding Company's first record (with the flawless R. Crumb cover).  I only take it out of it's stainless steel sleeve in the fireproof safe to play it when I get really hammered.  Give me a piece of your heart.....

Boston’s first was my first vinyl record.  I think I went through 3 of those things!  I also have the original lynyrd skynrd album where the band was in flames and they recalled and reissued after their plane crash.

14 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

And "Wish You Were Here". A fave of mine from the vinyl days and in a certain "mind set".

Having been on the planet at the height of vinyl and CDs (and eight track... oy!), not missing vinyl. I have listened to outstandingly mastered digital music, have had really nice audio gear, but in my old age, appreciating the convenience of digital and not getting snooty about audio quality anymore. Degraded hearing with age, listening while working out or in the car, cheap earbuds (but still with decent reproduction), it's not like I am in concert hall like situations.

What is heartening is that the younger generations are embracing better sounding audio via vinyl. Last few decades have had some really poorly mastered music (read: max loudness, over pronounced bass, muddled middles) and the vinyl resurrection has turned out music that has been mastered much better. Then again, nothing really new: Beatles snobs say you need to listen to the mono releases as those were the ones the Beatles cared about vs stereo which were an after thought and pretty much ignored by the Beatles.

Do you remember 4 track tapes?

15 hours ago, CandiO said:

The wall was better that’s my opinion 

3 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

Do you remember 4 track tapes?

Seen them in cars, but thankfully, not that old that I actually owned one.

Buckingham Nicks! Pre- FleetwodMac.

BUCKINGHAM NICKS-BUCKINGH

Jimmy Hendrix are you experienced I trade my quite riot lp to my friend for jimmy Hendrix album found out it was his parents album they were pissed 😂

E09A80A1-6EC9-49BB-AB66-A779CDAB1120.jpeg

3 hours ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Seen them in cars, but thankfully, not that old that I actually owned one.

I had a 4 track tape player in my 56 Chevy.  Went to 8 track after my 4 track was stolen.

1 hour ago, jonnyboy2112 said:

Jimmy Hendrix are you experienced I trade my quite riot lp to my friend for jimmy Hendrix album found out it was his parents album they were pissed 😂

E09A80A1-6EC9-49BB-AB66-A779CDAB1120.jpeg

Love Jimi Hendrix and Janis.

There are so many great albums.

This thread brings back many memories.

2 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

I had a 4 track tape player in my 56 Chevy.  Went to 8 track after my 4 track was stolen.

Joe Dirt’s 1969 Dodge  Daytona with 8 Track 

5486310A-0FD3-4DEA-BC5E-1EBC80C77EEC.jpeg

c8988cce70705fb9ab26171bd4178552.jpg

19 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

An 8 track was my first for the car.  Record player for the house and a reel to reel that I inherited from my brother.  First album I purchased was "Meet the Beatles" and one I bought after looking forward to it was "Rubber Soul".  This reminds me that I am very old.  It's interesting when my mind tells me I am in my 30's or 40's and then my body reminds me I am much older than that.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:18 PM, CandiO said:

Oh ya!!! And I thought of Thriller too.

Credence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country

Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Derek and the Dominos - Layla

The Eagles - Hotel California

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

On 5/4/2018 at 6:54 PM, gr8owl said:

OK, OK Just could not stop at ten

LA Woman – The Doors

Surrealistic Pillow – Jefferson Airplane

Aqualung – Jethro Tull

Full House Live – J Geils Band

Dream Boat Annie – Heart

II and IV – Led Zeppelin

Eliminator – ZZ Top

Snaz Live – Nazareth

Disraeli Gears – Cream

Ssssh – Ten Years After

Child of the Novelty – Mahogany Rush

Machine Head – Deep Purple

Are you Experienced –  The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Heros Are Hard to Find – Fleetwood Mac

Heaven in This Hell – Orianthi

Force It – UFO

Calling Card – Rory Gallagher

Grateful Dead – Grateful  Dead

Live at the Fillmore – Lucinda Williams

Paranoid – Black Sabbath

Appetite for Destruction – Guns N’ Roses

I have some of those albums Gr8owl! I also LOVE The Band, Yes, ELP,   Neil Young-Comes a time- makes me cry. When Greg Lake died I cried. I could go on and on about music. I have a retro soul to old classic rock/folk big time!😍

so kinda off topic...but I have a turntable that i bought in the 70's and is in need of repair / refurb...do that our buy a new one?  it's a techniques...don't remember what i paid for it but since i was a college student...prob not a lot.

what do y'all think? 

Stepenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad, The Who, Bread, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Joe Cocker, CCR, Deep Purple, Doobie Brothers and on and on.

4 hours ago, tide32 said:

Stepenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad, The Who, Bread, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Joe Cocker, CCR, Deep Purple, Doobie Brothers and on and on.

Hey Tide, the 60s called, they want their bong back.

4 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

Hey Tide, the 60s called, they want their bong back.

No fing way. :rolleyes: It's a collectors item dood!!! :P