Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old_Timer

Connect to TOB from outside the US

15 posts in this topic

The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things.

Now would be a good time for all TOB members to connect via a VPN service.

A VPN service allows anonymous access to all network services, and provides a connection that circumvents the nanny-state.

These days using a VPN is very simple. It requires no special understanding of the IP stack. All the networking is magically transparent. Just login using your preferred provider's application, choose a connection via a Canadian or Mexican server, and browse using your favorite web browser.

Google 'VPN service provider' for more information.

Keep things UTR and stay safe TOB friends.

-- OT

I kind of agree with you, and kind of do not. Certainly a VPN could be handy, and the march towards a "ninny state" inexorable. That said, with the changes in TOB, it hardly needs to be accessed via a global re-rout. It's not like that will access extra info.I suppose if it makes someone sleep better maybe. Another fact is the fact of globalization. Governments are far less separate and independent than we are led to believe....such actions may not help at all.....and could be overcome in a second. Anonymity and privacy on the web have a lot in common with Santa and the Easter Bunny.

It’s true a VPN will do a pretty good job of masking what you browse and where. However, it is by no means perfect by itself. This is why most privacy advocates highly suggest that you use your VPN in conjunction with an anonymous browser like TOR. 

For example, TER has begun blocking access to its site from the United States, in just using a VPN might not be enough to overcome this IP blocker. However, add TOR to your VPN and you can view TER EASILY all day long. 

Remember, the way most people get identified and or tracked on the internet is because they failed to use the above mentioned tools, or they used them improperly. If you’re not sure how to use these things, GO TO YOUTUBE, it has everything you need to know!

3 minutes ago, Melissa Sterling said:

It’s true a VPN will do a pretty good job of masking what you browse and where. However, it is by no means perfect by itself. This is why most privacy advocates highly suggest that you use your VPN in conjunction with an anonymous browser like TOR. 

For example, TER has begun blocking access to its site from the United States, in just using a VPN might not be enough to overcome this IP blocker. However, add TOR to your VPN and you can view TER EASILY all day long. 

Remember, the way most people get identified and or tracked on the internet is because they failed to use the above mentioned tools, or they used them improperly. If you’re not sure how to use these things, GO TO YOUTUBE, it has everything you need to know!

Thank you Melissa 😙

Happily, our best defense is the fact that we are small fries. Individual guys and ladies in the hobby are just not important enough, nor the activity illegal enough to merit much effort to lasso. Big fish like Backpage.....sure. If you are careless and basically make it effortless to get grabbed, that will take it. End of day however, we can all relax a bit and be happy that we are just not that important to the Poppers.......we are minnows in the ocean.....for now anyway.

2 hours ago, Admiral C said:

Happily, our best defense is the fact that we are small fries. Individual guys and ladies in the hobby are just not important enough, nor the activity illegal enough to merit much effort to lasso. Big fish like Backpage.....sure. If you are careless and basically make it effortless to get grabbed, that will take it. End of day however, we can all relax a bit and be happy that we are just not that important to the Poppers.......we are minnows in the ocean.....for now anyway.

There's truth here, but security by obscurity only gets you so far.  It's still wise to research the various layers of protection available, and determine how far down that path you're willing to go.

3 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

A paid VPN will normally allow you to connect to different servers around the world. Using ExpressVPN I can read TER using a server in Canada.

23 minutes ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Yes but TOR is FREE

Yep. Can't beat that price. :)

Pretty easy to download, install and run TOR, then go to www.whatismyipaddress.com and see where you are.

The slow speed eventually got to me, though.

2 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Yes but TOR is FREE

Hi MS.

I was stalked by a Usenet troll who didn't like what I had to say many years ago, and have been interested in masking my internet ID ever since. Using a proxy server has never been easier.

I pay $2.75/month to my VPN provider, which gives me access to thousands of servers in dozens of countries. I can also connect to onion sites when needed.

Speed is always a function of distance and server activity. Most of the time I don't notice a lag. I'm using the proxy only part-time at home, but 100% of the time when I'm out on public WiFi servers -- Starbucks for instance. Public servers will block access to sites like TOB -- but never when using the VPN. TER users -- this is how you access that site.

I'm beginning to sound like a salesman so I'll stop now, but wanted to share that the advantages to using a good VPN service are many in today's hostile networking environment.

Peace.

--OT

1 hour ago, Old_Timer said:

Hi MS.

I was stalked by a Usenet troll who didn't like what I had to say many years ago, and have been interested in masking my internet ID ever since. Using a proxy server has never been easier.

I pay $2.75/month to my VPN provider, which gives me access to thousands of servers in dozens of countries. I can also connect to onion sites when needed.

Speed is always a function of distance and server activity. Most of the time I don't notice a lag. I'm using the proxy only part-time at home, but 100% of the time when I'm out on public WiFi servers -- Starbucks for instance. Public servers will block access to sites like TOB -- but never when using the VPN. TER users -- this is how you access that site.

I'm beginning to sound like a salesman so I'll stop now, but wanted to share that the advantages to using a good VPN service are many in today's hostile networking environment.

Peace.

--OT

What is an onion site?

18 hours ago, cefrey said:

What is an onion site?

It's "the dark web".  The addresses aren't actual DNS names, so there is no DNS lookup, the sites aren't indexed by search engines, and they're only accessible via the Tor browser.  The's a ton of shady shit on the dark web, but there's also quite a bit of useful resources depending on your needs.

On 4/14/2018 at 2:26 PM, Melissa Sterling said:

Great thread overall, but thank you Melissa for the fyi on Tor. Using TorBrowser now. :)

On 4/14/2018 at 5:18 PM, cefrey said:

What is an onion site?

cefrey, onion is the protocol used by the TOR program. (TOR is an acronym for "the onion router".)

Onion is a encrypted networking transport protocol. It is used for networking services where privacy is desired.

Darknet is a little different. It operates under onion, but utilizes so-called "hidden services" that are not available through public name servers.

I am so very intrigued about these websites. Dark web I don’t think I want anything to do with.