Heidi the Housewife aka The Maui Muse

SESTA / FOSTA to be signed Wednesday

18 posts in this topic

per WH diary of coming events for the week

Wednesday: Trump to sign H.R. 1865 — “The Allow States and Victims To Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act.”

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-f78d890b-7cd7-4e06-afe7-0bda568d6e9e.html?chunk=4&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic#story4

8 minutes ago, Heidi the Housewife aka The Maui Muse said:

per WH diary of coming events for the week

Wednesday: Trump to sign H.R. 1865 — “The Allow States and Victims To Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act.”

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-f78d890b-7cd7-4e06-afe7-0bda568d6e9e.html?chunk=4&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic#story4

Boooooooooo!!!

My understanding of the new law is that reviews and provider ads will expose website owners and individual reviewers to risks. So, as long as there are no reviews or provider ads, a website should be safe. Say a provider represents herself instead as a model, and posts PG or R-rated pictures of herself at the website, perhaps selling her modeling services. A hobbyist who saw her could then vouch for the provider. True, there would be no explicit reviews or explicit provider ads--but in the late 1990s to mid-2000s, the hobby communities thrived without them.

Edited by Diamond John

Anyone know what the ACLU is doing if anything. A friend of mine in Austin said this is also effecting his gaming company. Stand up for our freedom of speech.

I’m not sure why anyone is surprised by this. Also that petition won’t do anything. They ignore it just like they ignored all the other petitions on that site. 

14 hours ago, Diamond John said:

My understanding of the new law is that reviews and provider ads will expose website owners and individual reviewers to risks. So, as long as there are no reviews or provider ads, a website should be safe. Say a provider represents herself instead as a model, and posts PG or R-rated pictures of herself at the website, perhaps selling her modeling services. A hobbyist who saw her could then vouch for the provider. True, there would be no explicit reviews or explicit provider ads--but in the late 1990s to mid-2000s, the hobby communities thrived without them.

This is probably exactly what needs to be done and probably what should have been going on all along.

There are a good percentage of hobbyists out there who push for more though. They want details. They want to know exactly what they’re getting. They have no sense of the word "discreet" except when it comes to themselves. They want providers to post all and reviews to reveal all. 

Now, nobody has a choice.

17 hours ago, Janine said:

Anyone know what the ACLU is doing if anything. A friend of mine in Austin said this is also effecting his gaming company. Stand up for our freedom of speech.

ACLU hasn't say anything yet... last post I saw on their twitter was couple months ago (ONE SINGLE POST) 

12 hours ago, MissHolly said:

This is probably exactly what needs to be done and probably what should have been going on all along.

There are a good percentage of hobbyists out there who push for more though. They want details. They want to know exactly what they’re getting. They have no sense of the word "discreet" except when it comes to themselves. They want providers to post all and reviews to reveal all. 

Now, nobody has a choice.

That is the entire meaning of an adult review board, for providers to place ads and do what they advertise and for guys to do honest reviews of their sessions, to not only hold the provider accountable, but also instead of just a pretty set of pics that can be photoshopped,  when a hobbyist chooses to contact a provider and hire her for her service, he wants to know what he is getting for his money.  

Edited by Wile E Coyote

On 4/9/2018 at 5:54 AM, Diamond John said:

If that is what it takes to keep us afloat, I would have no problem with the site going to this format, but, IMO, it would require much more behind the scenes work and sharing of info.

1 hour ago, Wile E Coyote said:

That is the entire meaning of an adult review board, for providers to place ads and do what they advertise and for guys to do honest reviews of their sessions, to not only hold the provider accountable, but also instead of just a pretty set of pics that can be photoshopped,  when a hobbyist chooses to contact a provider and hire her for her service, he wants to know what he is getting for his money.  

I get that hobbyists want to know that they're getting for their money, but services and rates should not be discussed for legal concerns. That's the issue here.

1 minute ago, MissHolly said:

I get that hobbyists want to know that they're getting for their money, but services and rates should not be discussed for legal concerns. That's the issue here.

From a legal standpoint, I agree, but as you know, this is the oldest profession in the world and has always been illegal. Adaptation of adult boards on the internet allowed  to screen better fro both the providers and the clients. The issues that SESTA/FOSTA are concerned with is more sex trafficking of minors and/or ladies against their will and using internet adult boards as platforms for doing so, holding the site owners and its employees legally responsible. Now, because of those new laws, an indirect consequence is that the shot in the dark mentality is about to return and all a guy can hope for is the service matches the pretty pictures since there will be nothing to research when seeking a provider he has not seen BCD before.  

As a consequence, classified advertising on the ‘Net may take a hit.

We need to get some big money into fighting this by making their websites accountable for 3rd party content. Start posting reviews on Angie’s List, Facebook, and Yelp. Let them play wacky-a-mole until the Feds come looking at them with a dangerous eye. 

{only partly tongue in cheek}

Here's a link to the Fosta bill at the US Congress site... I was bored and took the time to read the bill instead of relying on so many confusing (to me) news reports.

H.R. 1865 "FOSTA"

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1865/text?q={"search"%3A["chamberActionDateCode%3A\"2018-03-21|115|17000\"+AND+billIsReserved%3A\"N\""]}&r=1

They wanted Backpage and the got them it's the whole reason this law exist the same congresswoman who chased them around in court I'm hoping they got who they wanted and can back off but it's so scary for me right now weird calls not enough good guys just praying Tob holds in there 

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

As a consequence, classified advertising on the ‘Net may take a hit.

We need to get some big money into fighting this by making their websites accountable for 3rd party content. Start posting reviews on Angie’s List, Facebook, and Yelp. Let them play wacky-a-mole until the Feds come looking at them with a dangerous eye. 

{only partly tongue in cheek}

Yes!  My reviews can now be found on yelp😂😂