Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alicat

Hello, kinda new here!

17 posts in this topic

So, I've had a profile on here for a bit, but am really just discovering the depths of the Forum! I've been doing some reading, and even made a comment or 2, so thought it was appropriate that I said hello, if that's allowed!

Home is actually in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, but I love Denver and am drawn to the mountains about every 3 months or so. [snip] I still find something to cleanse my spirit every time I'm here! One of the things I like to ask people I meet here is, do you ever take the beauty of the mountains for granted? Do you wake up and go to work and go about your life without thinking of them or seeing them? I wonder, do you become immune to their beauty if you're exposed to it every day? What say you?

Oh, and Hi!! :)

Ali

Welcome :D
Everything you see on a daily basis becomes normal sooner or later. Doesn't mean you can't still appreciate it.

I don’t know if I’m going east or west without the mountains!  To answer your question for me I always see their beauty they have not become part of the landscape and I’ve been seeing them for 5 decades now.

1 hour ago, JAGCS said:

I don’t know if I’m going east or west without the mountains! 

TRUTH !

Try finding your direction in middle Tennessee on a cloudy day.

I am still hooked on our mountain views,  just hate how crowded the towns up there have become, let alone the campgrounds. 

I don't think about the mountains often. However, about once a month I'll notice them (sitting at a light, walking outside, eating somewhere with a view) and I'll thank mother nature.

They are pretty magnificent! :)

Your pictures make me appreciate mother nature too! :D

Fourth generation Coloradoan here :rolleyes: and every day when I drive westbound to my office I crest over a high hill and take in the whole front range, totally unobstructed.  I never take it for granted, I check the snowpack, read the clouds, take in the beauty, and think to myself, "why the hell don't I ever get up into the mountains any more?"

Typical Denverite. B)

Edited by BadBoy

I grew up in Aurora, so i was able to see Rocky Mountain National Park to Pikes Peak and everything in between.  Now, I live in the foothills and see the front range mountains.  

To answer your question, I never tire of the beauty this State has to offer.  Welcome to colorful Colorado!

Clear days are always awe inspiring for me when I look West to the mountains.  Almost every afternoon in the summertime also blows my mind.   The skies here are always beautiful in the afternoon and early evening.

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes! 

Welcome to Colorado, BTW.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:33 AM, Alicat said:

So, I've had a profile on here for a bit, but am really just discovering the depths of the Forum! I've been doing some reading, and even made a comment or 2, so thought it was appropriate that I said hello, if that's allowed!

Home is actually in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, but I love Denver and am drawn to the mountains about every 3 months or so. [snip] I still find something to cleanse my spirit every time I'm here! One of the things I like to ask people I meet here is, do you ever take the beauty of the mountains for granted? Do you wake up and go to work and go about your life without thinking of them or seeing them? I wonder, do you become immune to their beauty if you're exposed to it every day? What say you?

Oh, and Hi!! :)

Ali

I'm a Denver native born and raised and I would have to admit that I actually do take this wonderful state for granted, every once in a while I look up and see it as if for the first time and realize (wow, that is beautiful)... As well as other things, growing up I was always an athlete and spent half my childhood in the mountains, and I didn't realize just how much I took our altitude for granted until I was in San Diego for basic training (USMC) and felt just how easy it was to breathe. But it wasn't until I came back home after a year away at see level that it really set in how hard it is on your body to breathe and "be in shape" here.... It's pretty easy to miss the beauty and big things that seem so small when you've lived somewhere pretty much your whole life

3rd generation native.  I moved to Ohio for awhile many years ago,  realized I was taking the mountains for granted.  Got back here as soon as I could.  Have lived in Buena Vista and Salida,  where you have mountains all around and can not do the famous west is towards the mountains thing. Guess I was taking the mountains for granted again and not appreciating where I wasn't.  Personal things brought me back to the front range.  Now I wish I was back in the mountains.  Does not look promising now.  Guess I just need to start this hobby in earnest,  and enjoy the ladies!

Cedar Rapids!! That's a fun little college town! Twice driving through there in my younger days, I had to stop and party too much. Tell me, do you go all MILF on those College boys?

On 3/20/2018 at 7:03 PM, BadBoy said:

Fourth generation Coloradoan here :rolleyes: and every day when I drive westbound to my office I crest over a high hill and take in the whole front range, totally unobstructed.  I never take it for granted, I check the snowpack, read the clouds, take in the beauty, and think to myself, "why the hell don't I ever get up into the mountains any more?"

Typical Denverite. B)

Not me, I hike, ski, sail, and fish them every day, every way  and everywhere. Got in my blood in my 20’s and while I’ve given up most things (except beautiful women), not given up exploring the mountains. Most of my peers seem to like the golf course or the beach, and for a while so do I, but I still come back. Except for the vastness of the oceans, there is no comparison with the mountains....

I live high in the mountains outside Durango and I take the mountains for granted. I rarely even notice them until they present a problem (like snow too deep to get to work) I don't even notice the wildlife anymore unless they piss me off like deer in the road and Bears trying to get in my truck. But as soon as I go back packing I fall in love all over again and remember why I left Denver in the first place