MeganMarie4u

Good vibes...

39 posts in this topic

Here's my update.... so I just found out that my surgery only consisted of stent placement.... no lythotripsy.... so I'm just chillin with this 7mm stone and that's why I'm still in the same amount of pain... I'm waiting on lythotripsy scheduling then have to wait another week for stent removal... thanks for all the care and concern TOB! The community here has really shown me love over the past few days!!

Get well soon, had a buddy that was up hunting one year, no hospitals for miles. Had an acute kidney stone flair up. He said he was in so much pain, he thought he was going to die or wished he would. Finally after around 3 or 4 hours he made it to the nearest hospital. 

It seems like they always flare up at the worst time, so here is a bit of a funny story:

My first set of stones started to hurt when I was flying my hang-glider at 10,000 feet above ground level on a hot July day in Southern Arizona.  For those who do not know, flying a hang glider is a very physical activity that requires you to move and contort your body in lots of different ways, which becomes nearly impossible when you are all cramped up and hurting like hell.  I managed to spiral down to near the landing zone in a modified fetal position, crying like a baby. I had no idea what was going on, I actually thought that my appendix had burst and I was going to die.  I just knew the pain was crippling.

Landing a hang glider is a very coordinated matter that involves standing up straight and running the landing out (your legs are the landing gear), which I could not do, so the landing was more of a semi-controlled crash, which meant that in addition to the kidney stones, I was covered with cuts, scrapes, bruises, and with lots of cactus spines in my chest and arms.  The stones hurt way more than all of the injuries put together.

So there I was (all great stories contain that line), crashed in the desert under a pile of cloth and aluminum, beat to shit, bleeding everywhere, with kidney stones, sweating like a pig in the 115 degree heat, all by myself.

When my buddies finally got over to the scene, they packed up the glider for me, poured beer on all of my external wounds (our usual desert first aid) and tossed me into the back of the Suburban so that I could curl up in my fetal position for the two-hour drive to the hospital.  Since I wasn't dead, we all decided that it wasn't a burst appendix, and the consensus of the group was that a few good beers and a Percocet was just what I needed (this was our general cure for all ills, and one of the guys had a prescription for Percocets that he kept for emergency purposes).  Well, the Percocet was a really good idea, but let me tell you:

WHEN YOU HAVE KIDNEY STONES BLOCKING YOUR URETHRA, THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS DRINK A LOT OF BEER ON THE WAY TO THE HOSPITAL!

I learned that one the hard way, especially since I was pretty thirsty to begin with, so I chugged three beers before my bladder and kidneys sent back the message to my brain to knock it off.  The only thing that hurts worse than kidney stones is kidney stones and having to go to the bathroom really bad (but you can't, you see, because your friends don't want to stop and the damn stones are blocking your pee-pee--tubes).

At any rate, I survived the most painful three hours of my life with the help of another Percocet and finally arrived at the hospital emergency room door in a fog of opiates and pain.  My buddies, like all manly men, have only so much time for sympathy and concern, so they told me they would put my equipment in my garage, tossed me out and drove off, leaving me kneeling there at the door of the Emergency Room, stoned on alcohol and Percocets, bleeding from everywhere, looking like a cactus pin-cushion, bent over in the fetal position that all kidney stone survivors are familiar with and, as it turns out, with no ID, money or insurance card, because that was all in my duffle bag, speeding away in the Suburban.

Well, the emergency room staff was great, thank God.  By great, I mean they took my word for who I was and that I had insurance, laid me on a gurney and stuck a needle in my arm that immediately put me to sleep and stopped the pain.

I woke up a few hours later in an air-conditioned room with a drained bladder, bandaged wounds, no more cactus spines, and an on-demand Demerol pump.  Life only got better from that point.  They broke the stones with ultrasound and I passed them a couple days later.  Thanks to the on-demand Demerol pump, I recall nothing of those days.  I now have a lot of sympathy for folks who get hooked on Opiates, it would be very easy.

See - I told you it was a funny story, especially the part about how my buddies threw my poor injured body out the door of the Suburban without even really slowing down at the hospital.  Golly gee, we had fun laughing about that for years.  The bastards.

9 hours ago, BadBoy said:

It seems like they always flare up at the worst time, so here is a bit of a funny story:

My first set of stones started to hurt when I was flying my hang-glider at 10,000 feet above ground level on a hot July day in Southern Arizona.  For those who do not know, flying a hang glider is a very physical activity that requires you to move and contort your body in lots of different ways, which becomes nearly impossible when you are all cramped up and hurting like hell.  I managed to spiral down to near the landing zone in a modified fetal position, crying like a baby. I had no idea what was going on, I actually thought that my appendix had burst and I was going to die.  I just knew the pain was crippling.

Landing a hang glider is a very coordinated matter that involves standing up straight and running the landing out (your legs are the landing gear), which I could not do, so the landing was more of a semi-controlled crash, which meant that in addition to the kidney stones, I was covered with cuts, scrapes, bruises, and with lots of cactus spines in my chest and arms.  The stones hurt way more than all of the injuries put together.

So there I was (all great stories contain that line), crashed in the desert under a pile of cloth and aluminum, beat to shit, bleeding everywhere, with kidney stones, sweating like a pig in the 115 degree heat, all by myself.

When my buddies finally got over to the scene, they packed up the glider for me, poured beer on all of my external wounds (our usual desert first aid) and tossed me into the back of the Suburban so that I could curl up in my fetal position for the two-hour drive to the hospital.  Since I wasn't dead, we all decided that it wasn't a burst appendix, and the consensus of the group was that a few good beers and a Percocet was just what I needed (this was our general cure for all ills, and one of the guys had a prescription for Percocets that he kept for emergency purposes).  Well, the Percocet was a really good idea, but let me tell you:

WHEN YOU HAVE KIDNEY STONES BLOCKING YOUR URETHRA, THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS DRINK A LOT OF BEER ON THE WAY TO THE HOSPITAL!

I learned that one the hard way, especially since I was pretty thirsty to begin with, so I chugged three beers before my bladder and kidneys sent back the message to my brain to knock it off.  The only thing that hurts worse than kidney stones is kidney stones and having to go to the bathroom really bad (but you can't, you see, because your friends don't want to stop and the damn stones are blocking your pee-pee--tubes).

At any rate, I survived the most painful three hours of my life with the help of another Percocet and finally arrived at the hospital emergency room door in a fog of opiates and pain.  My buddies, like all manly men, have only so much time for sympathy and concern, so they told me they would put my equipment in my garage, tossed me out and drove off, leaving me kneeling there at the door of the Emergency Room, stoned on alcohol and Percocets, bleeding from everywhere, looking like a cactus pin-cushion, bent over in the fetal position that all kidney stone survivors are familiar with and, as it turns out, with no ID, money or insurance card, because that was all in my duffle bag, speeding away in the Suburban.

Well, the emergency room staff was great, thank God.  By great, I mean they took my word for who I was and that I had insurance, laid me on a gurney and stuck a needle in my arm that immediately put me to sleep and stopped the pain.

I woke up a few hours later in an air-conditioned room with a drained bladder, bandaged wounds, no more cactus spines, and an on-demand Demerol pump.  Life only got better from that point.  They broke the stones with ultrasound and I passed them a couple days later.  Thanks to the on-demand Demerol pump, I recall nothing of those days.  I now have a lot of sympathy for folks who get hooked on Opiates, it would be very easy.

See - I told you it was a funny story, especially the part about how my buddies threw my poor injured body out the door of the Suburban without even really slowing down at the hospital.  Golly gee, we had fun laughing about that for years.  The bastards.

Your story made my day... people who have never felt that pain have no idea what its like!! Lucky for you it seems your process was way shorter than mine is going to be... 😫

Hey sweetheart. I just got back in town, and playing catch up. I've been reading this thread, and I also had some kidney issues back when I was a teenager. It was a very bad kidney infection, but because of the pain, they thought I was passing stones. Kidney pain is no joke. It had me on my hands and knees crawling for help, screaming in pain, and throwing up profusely. To this day, I haven't felt anything more painful...including labor. I just want you to know if you need someone to be there with you when you have your sugery, I volunteer. I definitely DO NOT want you to be alone. I'm a great hand holder, pillow fluffer, food and water getter, forehead kisser, nurse getter, whatever you need. I have books to read and blankets to finish, and I love quiet time.  That was super cool of Francesca to drive you. When I read that, I was not the least bit surprised. 

Shout out to everybody mixed up in taking care of me! I'm headed to my 2nd procedure!!! Hopefully they take the stent out today also and I can get back to all my lovely friends!!!

It's been a miserable 10 days so far....

2 weeks without cigarettes

And I'm starving 

9 hours ago, MeganMarie4u said:

2 weeks without cigarettes

Perfect time to quit. 😊 I had surgery a couple years ago, and was in the hospital for a few days, so popped the patch on before the surgery, and finally bit the bullet. After 30 yrs of smoking,  I've never felt better. Good luck sweetheart. There are better days coming. ❤❤❤

Best wishes for you.  I know what you are going through been there and done that and don't care to go that route again.  One thing make sure that you find out what the make up of the stone is so that the doctors can tell you how to prevent the next one.  Very Important!!!!!

On 3/20/2018 at 9:34 AM, Hunter VanDyke said:

Hey sweetheart. I just got back in town, and playing catch up. I've been reading this thread, and I also had some kidney issues back when I was a teenager. It was a very bad kidney infection, but because of the pain, they thought I was passing stones. Kidney pain is no joke. It had me on my hands and knees crawling for help, screaming in pain, and throwing up profusely. To this day, I haven't felt anything more painful...including labor. I just want you to know if you need someone to be there with you when you have your sugery, I volunteer. I definitely DO NOT want you to be alone. I'm a great hand holder, pillow fluffer, food and water getter, forehead kisser, nurse getter, whatever you need. I have books to read and blankets to finish, and I love quiet time.  That was super cool of Francesca to drive you. When I read that, I was not the least bit surprised. 

I just saw this 😍 luckily I'm over the hump....with a giant burn on my side to prove it! Thanks for offering :)