OpheliaMoreau

Hot Springs

27 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm new to CO and have heard of the mystical hot springs!
Do you have a favorite? 
Have you brought a provider?

I want to hear where you like!  Maybe even throw in a story for me.

Well, back when I lived in Glenwood Springs all of us young folks used to float down the Colorado River west of Glenwood, and just past the "South Canyon Rapids" and the bridge, we would tie up on the far side of the river (away from the highway), hike up a narrow canyon, to the natural hot springs about 3/4 mile up.  It was just a hand-made dam, made up of piled up rocks (feel free to pick  up a few on the way up to improve the pool) that people have carried up and gathered up over the years.  It's about 12 x 20 feet, of varying depths, and on a weekend summer afternoon it was the grooviest :rolleyes: place to get naked with a bunch of total river-rat strangers (bathing suits and cutoffs were also quite welcome, for the demure).  A heavy flowing hot spring kept it about 100 degrees, and always crystal clear clean.  Bring all beverages in cans, not bottles, and carry it out.

Hope it's still there, haven't been there in 30 years, but it sure was a bundle of fun at the time.  I know that Mom Nature still provides the springs and it would be hard to patrol, so it's probably still fun.

There are probably three or four dozen of these secret local hideaways out there - now you have mine.  Do you folks have any?

I second Ouray, but love the springs above Snowmass. Its a 3.5 hour hike, but its at high altitude, and the people you meet all camp there. 

Conundrum Creek, is its name, above Aspen Each way is almost 9 miles. You have to pack everyrhing out you bring. Its altitude is above 10,000, so the stars and the Milky Way are phenomenal. Meteors galore beneath a waterfall. I would take a provider in a heartbeat, if she were truly into it, lol. (Many years ago, I guided a group from S Africa into the Rawah Wilderness, and one girl brought her hair dryer...true story!)

4 hours ago, Sexy Francesca said:

I have been to every hot springs in Co, a favorite of mine is relaxing in the hot springs and they are all great in my opinion. But I particularly like Mt Princeton outside of Buena Vista for their stream of small natural pools and Hooper Hot Springs by Sand Dunes for the adult only section. Or Strawberry Hot Springs outside of Steamboat Springs for there after 10 naked soaking! 

Last on my list (as if it actually ends) is the Hot Sulpher Hot Springs that has like 20 different small hot springs tubs and waterfall! Most of these all offer lodging as well..!

I have never visited any of these  while on the job exactly, just leisurely!! 

Enjoy 😊 

Hi Ophelia

Here is a link to Mt. Princeton!

it is one of my favs. And in fact I am going there in august. It's a bit pricey but you can stay all day.

https://mtprinceton.com/

15 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

Swiss Alps of the Rockies, nothing compares Ouray, and if youre into fishing, 4 wheeling you can drive over Imogene Pass to Telluride, oh my, https://www.ouraycolorado.com/hot-springs

Agree completely.  If you are not into 4 wheeling highway 550 from Ouray to Silverton - aka million dollar highway - is paved but spectacular.

An overnight to Idaho Springs. There are a few well-reviewed food places and the heated pool is nice. Plus choose between private or gender-specific hot springs caverns. 

No one has put in a bid for:

Orvis Hot Springs, near Ridgeway

Orient Land Trust, in the San Luis valley 

Oo these all sound lovely

*googles away furiously*

I'm going to make a list of all these for my to-dos!  I'm particularly fond of going to a nude one and very interested in trying to find hidden ones (BadBoy thank you!  I'm not too far from there).

Are these okay to go to when it's warm?  Or is it too muggy?  More of a chilly treat.

1 hour ago, Bit Banger said:

No one has put in a bid for:

Orvis Hot Springs, near Ridgeway

Orient Land Trust, in the San Luis valley 

I kinda assumed that is what fishndude had in mind when saying Ouray, since Orvis is also on highway 550 but just north of Ouray instead of the section I mentioned which is south.  Definitely where I had in mind as far as hot springs.  Awesome.  All saying go to the same area as best as I know it.

1 hour ago, gr8owl said:

I kinda assumed that is what fishndude had in mind when saying Ouray, since Orvis is also on highway 550 but just north of Ouray instead of the section I mentioned which is south.  

I didn’t make that assumption since Ouray has a large public pool, similar to Glenwood Springs, on the N edge of town. Orvis, on the other hand, has a collection of various sized pools and more of a spa feel to it, complete with massage therapists (LMT, not FBSM).

11 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

I didn’t make that assumption since Ouray has a large public pool, similar to Glenwood Springs, on the N edge of town. Orvis, on the other hand, has a collection of various sized pools and more of a spa feel to it, complete with massage therapists (LMT, not FBSM).

Ya Ouray, the 15 years I was married had a free place to stay. Kicked the meanie to the curb and her friends still let me up there till they passed. I did Imogene alone. Beer in one hand, and screaming like a girl the whole time. Damn those were the days. 8 mile trip over the pass, 5 hours if I remember rightly, that last switchback into Telluride...PRICELESS, what a beautiful part of our state. 

15 hours ago, Leonalune said:

An overnight to Idaho Springs. There are a few well-reviewed food places and the heated pool is nice. Plus choose between private or gender-specific hot springs caverns. 

Oh wow! I totally forgot. Indian Hot Springs in Idaho Springs!

yes a great venue and plenty of eateries!

good call Leona

😎

16 hours ago, Leonalune said:

I didn't know they had private hot spring caverns.  I knew about the gender specific caverns from their web site and the private outdoor hot tubs.

I don't like wearing a swimsuit in a hot tub or hot spring so only want to go to ones wear nudity is accepted and encouraged.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, ilovewomen said:

I didn't know they had private hot spring caverns.  I knew about the gender specific caverns from their web site and the private outdoor hot tubs.

I don't like wearing a swimsuit in a hot tub or hot spring so only want to go to ones wear nudity is accepted and encouraged.

Yes they do, and they’re awesome. They’re actually pretty romantic. I think there are showers in there as well.;)

Valley View/Orient Land Trust is the best in my humble opinion.  Clothing optional, and expect a wide variety of ages and body types.  A variety of pools of various temperatures.  Some are completely natural, and require a short hike.  Other pools are built up, but still very nice.  

Very laid back vibe, more so than the more developed hot springs.  You can rent cabins, rooms, camping spots, or just day-trip.  Call ahead to make reservations, as they do fill up.  

If you stop by the Enterprise Bar & Grill in Rico they might tell you where the secret hot springs are, there are also some pools right on the CO River. I'll make it adventure, now that you know a little I'm sure you can find them!

On 3/8/2018 at 9:42 AM, OpheliaMoreau said:

Oo these all sound lovely

*googles away furiously*

I'm going to make a list of all these for my to-dos!  I'm particularly fond of going to a nude one and very interested in trying to find hidden ones (BadBoy thank you!  I'm not too far from there).

Are these okay to go to when it's warm?  Or is it too muggy?  More of a chilly treat.

Never to muggy to go to hot springs here :) If you go to Conundrum do yourself a favor and avoid weekends.

Couple helpful sites.  There are LOTS of hot springs in Colorado.

https://www.colorado.com/articles/30-colorado-hot-springs-quick-guide

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/gallery/colorado-hot-springs/

handy at a glance map, developed and primitive with links for many:

http://www.oriconline.org/what_to_do/hotsprings/hot_springs.htm

Amazing!  All of this feedback is super appreciated!  I'll have to update you to where I end up and what I think of it.

Strawberry hot springs I think in steamboat. After a certain time it’s adults only. No lights. So use your cell phone to get around. Super quiet and you can see every freaking star surrounded by mountains. Clothing optional. 

My vote is Rainbow hot springs out side Pagosa. It's a 7 mile hike one way to get there so it's not crowded and people don't usually hike in a ton of beer cans to litter about. ots a great reward for a beautiful hike

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, Denver303 said:

Strawberry hot springs I think in steamboat. After a certain time it’s adults only. No lights. So use your cell phone to get around. Super quiet and you can see every freaking star surrounded by mountains. Clothing optional. 

However, anyone who actually leaves the cell phone on once he/she arrives at the natural hot spring does so at the risk of causing a community watertightness test on the phone.

If you go to valley view, be sure to also check out the orientation Land trust mine. But also, probably not so known to most who didn't grow up in that area, if you drive past the valley view entrance and a half to 3/4 of a mile you'll come up on a hiking trail. Park and hike the trail and you will run into some naturally running hot springs that haven't been claimed by any private organization and turned into a resort. You do run the risk of being busted by a random hiker, but the risk is small compared to the reward of not being crowded by scores of other people..