Ariel jadore

Best Local Denver restaurants

43 posts in this topic

I love little  hole in the wall type of restaurants that serve only local food, seasonal. 

Any denver natives have any recommendations 

Seasonal is a little tough this time of year.

That said, Black Cat/Bramble & Hare in Boulder has their own farm (veggies, meats), really nice food. Once summer hits, many Denver restaurants start to feature locally grown vegetables and fruits. There are a couple of other restaurants out there that have their own farms as well, just can't recall right now. Along those lines, the Oskar Blues brewing chain of restaurants also have their own farm where they raise cattle for burgers (Chubb Burger), they have their own taco joint/tasting room in Longmont.

Old Major in Denver makes their own charcuterie and butchering. 

The Kitchen locations (Denver, Boulder, Glendale) and Oak @ 14th restaurants (Oak in Boulder, Acorn at The Source) are farm to table. Hedgerow in Cherry Creek is part of the Kitchen empire, but have not had chance to try. These locations will source local as well as out-of-state.

Lots of restaurants in Denver area that do farm to table. No real "Colorado" cuisine, imo, as that can be pigeon holed into game meat, trout, beef (Buckhorn would be good for that or The Fort in Golden).

ADD: get a paper copy of "Westword" weekly newspaper and or scan their online copy to check out restaurant reviews. Generally pretty spot-on for where to go.

Edited by NoCoGeezer

14 hours ago, JYS2020 said:

Bucksnort Saloon!

I haven’t thought of the Bucksnort Saloon in years.  Used to go there when I lived up in the Pine Junction area.  Is it even still around?

I love the Buckhorn Exchange. The food and service has always been great.

Pete’s Kitchen:: 1962 E Colfax Ave,

Breakfast burritos to gyros in a classic, family-owned-&-operated diner open 24/7.

For something more breakfast (anytime) I grew up going to Swift's .... It's somewhat of a hole in the wall breakfast diner in the middle of 9th and 10th on Santa Fe, used to be THE spot when I was going to high school down the street....

Emil-Lene's Steakhouse in Aurora makes some pretty great food. Tony's Mexican restaurant off of Montview serves the closest to authentic Mexican food I have found in Denver(if anyone can lead me to a more authentic place...I am THERE). Then there is Wazee Supper Club in LoDo that makes phenomenal pizzas among other things. We can't forget the Blue Bonnet on Broadway. One that has been around at least twenty years is the Sushi Den(off of University), and I feel makes the best sushi compared to Sushi ZanMai in Boulder(which is good too).

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

2 hours ago, SultryKitten said:

Then there is Wazee Supper Club in LoDo that makes phenomenal pizzas among other things. We can't forget the Blue Bonnet on Broadway. One that has been around at least twenty years is the Sushi Den(off of University), and I feel makes the best sushi compared to Sushi ZanMai in Boulder(which is good too).

Didn't Wazee Supper Club just close? Seem to recall reading a story in the "Post" about that (changing up the concept).

Zanmai, meh. Sushi Leo in Longmont is better, especially when ordering their more unique fish (ie. Fish from Tokyo, not your standard rolls).

Emil Lenes is closed...dammit. I hear Blue Bonnet is good. 

Definitely have to eat at Pete’s Kitchen...one of the best in Denver 

14 hours ago, SultryKitten said:

Then there is Wazee Supper Club in LoDo .

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

WAS !     Wazee is now history. For a fine dining experience,there is also Casa Wolfe.

12 hours ago, JRWolfe said:

WAS !     Wazee is now history. For a fine dining experience,there is also Casa Wolfe.

Dammit! All of my favs closing! Urgh!

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

On 2/23/2018 at 11:41 PM, NoCoGeezer said:

Didn't Wazee Supper Club just close? Seem to recall reading a story in the "Post" about that (changing up the concept).

Zanmai, meh. Sushi Leo in Longmont is better, especially when ordering their more unique fish (ie. Fish from Tokyo, not your standard rolls).

It has been a few years since I have been to Zanmai, but it is because of location. I will have to try Sushi Leo. I am always for new, unique places.

Xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Back in the 70’s, Wazee Supper Club was named The Banjo Club....it was a strip joint back then 😎

for good sea food (not fried) you can't beet Cherry Crest On S University at Orchard. Not fancy but very good.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:35 AM, ilovewomen said:

Emil Lenes is closed...dammit. I hear Blue Bonnet is good. 

Definitely have to eat at Pete’s Kitchen...one of the best in Denver 

Hmm...blue bonnets alright. I had there mole it was alright.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:47 PM, Hunter VanDyke said:

Hmm...blue bonnets alright. I had there mole it was alright.

OMG, try their margarita flight, and don’t leave without their cheesecake sopapillas with raspberry sauce!

On 2/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, Ariel jadore said:

I love little  hole in the wall type of restaurants that serve only local food, seasonal. 

Any denver natives have any recommendations 

Bittersweet - 500 E Alameda Ave, Denver, CO 80209.   A little pricey, but outstanding food and hand-crafted cocktails.  Enjoy! 

Brewery Bar II on 1st and Kalamath or Brewery Bar in Park Meadows.

All these suggestions and nobody, I mean nobody, has mentioned casa Bonita. Come on people, nothing says Mexican food better than casa Bonita!! What's wrong with all you people anyway???? :D

3 minutes ago, Juanmotai said:

All these suggestions and nobody, I mean nobody, has mentioned casa Bonita. Come on people, nothing says Mexican food better than casa Bonita!! What's wrong with all you people anyway???? :D

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm. I hope so!

Casa Bonita is taco bell food, served in a very entertaining space.

4 minutes ago, pfunk said:

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm. I hope so!

Total sarcasm. That's the worst food in the freaking world. Lol 

27 minutes ago, pfunk said:

IIp3Cbs.jpg?1

Nobody has mentioned it...for a great burger and atmosphere go to My Brothers Bar at 15th St and Little Raven. 

They don’t have a sign out front. If you’re a little lost there, ask any shop clerk in the area. They’ll point you in the right direction.

I have been a UTR guy on here since the site beginings and had to re-register in 15 when the site changed enough I could not recall my PW etc.  Anyway in all the years I have never posted anything but reviews and those in limited numbers.  But this thread forced me out of my shell a bit because my ATF favorite restaurant has come up a couple of times.

I have been going to Blue Bonnet since the late 80s and have only had one thing on the menu all these years.  Beef Chimichanga  and that with the house chips and salsa is all I ever need or want.  Plus a Negra Modela of course.

Cosmo

Edited by cosmo
spelling

My fav Mexcan spots

Villa gran at Alameda and Raritan 

los carboncitos 7th andsheridan