BadBoy

Can The Mods Create a "Newbie" Forum?

18 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

OK, first off, I am very sympathetic to newcomers and understand their anxiety, fear, etc.  However, I can't imagine that I am the only one completely tired of getting asked the same old questions, listening to same old line of objections ("I don't want to share my identity, even with a company in Canada.."), etc. over and over, sometimes several times a week.  There have been a bunch of great newbie-education posts over the past year or so, some of which I have written, and yet it seems like every newcomer starts from scratch, and frankly, I am not going to spend 30 minutes writing out the how-to guide every damned week.  I have noticed that I am not alone, it seems like the newcomers are getting much more curt responses from everyone these days, I think we are all just sick of the same old, same old.

Possible solution:  Could the mods create a new Forum Category (like "General Discussion" or "Colorado") such as "Welcome Newcomers" and we could move/post some really good, long, deep answers to FAQs, and simply tell the newbies "go read everything in that forum before you ask another question." 

I'm sympathetic to the fact that the newbies don't know how to search the archives, and won't discover the earlier posts on their own.  It would be a great way to bring them up to speed on etiquite, procedures, manners, getting approved, etc. and really help them out without being such a repetitive pain in the ass to everyone else.  Seems like a win-win to me.

Thoughts?

Send yourself a private message with the links of all the "Hoe to guides" you have already posted. when a newbie posts asking "How to" you can copy the links from that PM and paste them in a reply.  

When I started in the “hobby” 30+ odd years ago, there was no internet, no written “how to” guides. I learned on my own.

It didn’t take long. At the end of my first appt, I asked the lady what I did right and what I did wrong.  I continually asked questions for a while until I had my own procedure established that worked for me.

Listen and learn. Read and learn.

A pinned post at the top of the forums would go a long way to helping all the new guys and ladies.

It does seem to me that several of the guys don’t want to give up personal information as they are afraid they will be found out.

33 minutes ago, boink36 said:

Send yourself a private message with the links of all the "Hoe to guides" you have already posted. when a newbie posts asking "How to" you can copy the links from that PM and paste them in a reply.  

Smart

52 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

OK, first off, I am very sympathetic to newcomers and understand their anxiety, fear, etc.  However, I can't imagine that I am the only one completely tired of getting asked the same old questions, listening to same old line of objections ("I don't want to share my identity, even with a company in Canada.."), etc. over and over, sometimes several times a week.  There have been a bunch of great newbie-education posts over the past year or so, some of which I have written, and yet it seems like every newcomer starts from scratch, and frankly, I am not going to spend 30 minutes writing out the how-to guide every damned week.  I have noticed that I am not alone, it seems like the newcomers are getting much more curt responses from everyone these days, I think we are all just sick of the same old, same old.

Possible solution:  Could the mods create a new Forum Category (like "General Discussion" or "Colorado") such as "Welcome Newcomers" and we could move/post some really good, long, deep answers to FAQs, and simply tell the newbies "go read everything in that forum before you ask another question." 

I'm sympathetic to the fact that the newbies don't know how to search the archives, and won't discover the earlier posts on their own.  It would be a great way to bring them up to speed on etiquite, procedures, manners, getting approved, etc. and really help them out without being such a repetitive pain in the ass to everyone else.  Seems like a win-win to me.

Thoughts?

amen!!!

1 hour ago, boink36 said:

My suggestion was to create a system that didn't require BadBoy to educate the newcomers every time they post the same old question.

15 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

My suggestion was to create a system that didn't require BadBoy to educate the newcomers every time they post the same old question.

You know very well that none of the new members are going to read a site info forum that we already have (because they don't), or a newbie forum, or even the site rules when they join. they will join and within five minutes will be posting in Colorado about, were is a good incall location, good places to eat, I'm a new provider call me at xxx-xxx-xxx,  finding providers who don't want personal info, how do I get references, how do I get reviews, etc etc............. The easy thing would be not reading the newbie threads. if I had that option I would take it. the only thing BadBoy is really required to do is leave the donation,wash his ass, and be a gentleman. :D

46 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

You're NOT the official welcome wagon ????

My suggestion would be to ignore the newbie threads if it bothers anyone. It’s pretty easy to do, just keep scrolling.

2 hours ago, PieluvinTexan said:

My suggestion would be to ignore the newbie threads if it bothers anyone. It’s pretty easy to do, just keep scrolling.

I think you all are missing my point.  I wanted to be as helpful as possible to newcomers as possible (both male and female), by having an easy-to-find place to go read common threads, not be unfriendly and ignore people.  If the newcomers had a place to go, we could simply reply to the first repetitive question with:  "Here is where you want to go - read the entire thread."

Edited by BadBoy

Well as one of the newbs that likely prompted this I’d certainly welcome an easily identifiable and accessible grouping of the best advice threads for new folks.  I would actually read it.  I have read as much as I could find. But sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know til you ask. 

I started asking questions because I wanted to confirm my independent research hadn’t missed something important. And sometimes you just want to hear someone who is not new to whatever your embarking on say “this is no big deal, not hard to navigate, and you’ll be glad you did it.”  Or “hey, it’s not hard, but here’s a couple pitfalls to watch out for that you might not be aware of.”  

I am as new as it gets as well, and I just want to say thanks for the forum in general!   Forums are only as good as the folks that support it, and I for one appreciate all you input BadBoy, as well as that from everyone that have helped contribute, both hobbiests, and especially providers.   I have moderated different car forums over the years, and a frequent response I always give new comers is "USE THE SEARCH"....  "Its located here, ....". Every forum I've been on has a search function and they all have they're quirks, just takes getting used too.   I'm doing my best to utilize the search function myself, but once again, still learning.   A newbie forum section or "sticky" would be fantastic, but I have to agree, they are always under utilized.     No matter whether or not a newbie section is started, thank you to everyone that tries to be helpful, I for one appreciate it.   

I believe I'm still a newbie but I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I agree it will be helpful ,    but also in this type of hobby you gotta get used to do your own damn research and be constantly learning.  For your own good.

7 hours ago, boink36 said:

You know very well that none of the new members are going to read a site info forum that we already have (because they don't), or a newbie forum, or even the site rules when they join.

This.

Hell, even relatively experienced folks dredge up age old topics/threads (rates, old pics, fantasy celebrity to spank one out to etc). Or post for 411 for a provider that had a 411 days ago, just that it dropped off the first page of threads.

Don't like the thread, skip over. Not like the thread subjects are covert.

4 hours ago, BadBoy said:

I think you all are missing my point.  I wanted to be as helpful as possible to newcomers as possible (both male and female), by having an easy-to-find place to go read common threads, not be unfriendly and ignore people.  If the newcomers had a place to go, we could simply reply to the first repetitive question with:  "Here is where you want to go - read the entire thread."

I think a link to the newbie forum would be nicer and easier than snarky comments because of all the built up irritation.

And BadBoy  if you do end up sending yourself a private message with newbie links and info, would you please send it to me also? I would love to have something to send to the super newbs who cluelessly reach out to me.

Edited by Cecilia
oops again

Most newbies are trolls or former members "reborn". You're not gonna tell me that in 2018 some dude never banged a hooker, finds this board, and then starts banging hookers, ... asking questions about how to bang hookers. Yarite.;)

I'd implement a simple requirement: post 3 verifiable reviews, then you get access to this board in the form of membership.

11 hours ago, 2Big said:

I'd implement a simple requirement: post 3 verifiable reviews, then you get access to this board in the form of membership.

I guess they'd have to take away your membership, eh?