Veronicaturbay

New Year's Superstitions and Resolutions

21 posts in this topic

Almost the end of 2017, some great things happened, some sad, lots of lessons learned... 

Me being a latina; we have lots of superstitions for the new years eve. Few are:

Do not wash clothes or dishes on New Year's Day as you'll be washing for the dead in the new year.

Do not take anything out of the house on New Year's Day

Work a little bit (but not too much).

Keep lentils on your pockets at midnight (for money luck) 

You have to be awake at midnight

this one is funny **yellow panties**  for good fortune $$  and **red panties** for good luck in love. 

ate 12 grapes at mid nite 

Cleaning your house—especially dusting—on December 31st

Another funny is at mid nite go around the block with a suitcase or a bag *for traveling thru the next year* 

LOL!!!

anyone else? 

Only Superstition I have is to have roast pork sauerkraut mashed potatoes crab bisque and creme brulee for dinner on New Year's Day I guess I could also add make a New Year's resolutions that very seldom get kept LOL 

My parents had one about wrapping a small piece of cabbage in tin foil to carry in your wallet/pocketbook. Supposed to mean you will not ever go broke in the new year. So far so good lol.

Always had to eat at least one of these at the New Years Dinner. For good luck. 

See the source image

1 hour ago, Veronicaturbay said:

Me being a latina; we have lots of superstitions for the new years eve. Few are:

Keep lentils on your pockets at midnight (for money luck) 

My family, fish scales in the wallet for financial good-luck. Must be an Eastern European thing.

The sauerkraut and pork thing, is new to me. First I heard about that was a couple of weeks ago from my bartendress who is from PA: east coast thing? Germans?

Have heard of the eating beans.

7 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

My family, fish scales in the wallet for financial good-luck. Must be an Eastern European thing.

The sauerkraut and pork thing, is new to me. First I heard about that was a couple of weeks ago from my bartendress who is from PA: east coast thing? Germans?

Have heard of the eating beans.

I'm half German and half Irish from guess where?...PA. 

1 hour ago, geecue2 said:

Always had to eat at least one of these at the New Years Dinner. For good luck. 

See the source image

For me it's Black Eyed Peas. 

Another ritual is to sharpen my planes & chisels. 

Edited by Bit Banger
Added sharpening

Ham, blackened peas , collard greens and cornbread guess where in the departure south I'm from.

29 minutes ago, pointymoustache said:

Ham, blackened peas , collard greens and cornbread guess where in the departure south I'm from.

Sounds like a Texas New Year's to me😂

My new years tradition is to wake up New Years morning 😁

17 hours ago, ilovewomen said:

My new years tradition is to wake up New Years morning 😁

DItto, early, and without a hangover, so I can watch the sun rise on a new year.  Thanking God for all of my blessings, among which are a cup of hot coffee.

Started the tradition with my dad when I was 3 (yep, including the coffee).

Being of Scandinavian heritage, it has always been marinated herring for the first thing you eat on New Years day.

I'm with Jack Nicholson. At my age, I'll "NEVER WASTE A HARD ON TRUST A FART"  ;)

Hey folks, Happy New Years Day.  I managed to stay sober last night, and was up in time to watch the sunrise - it was spectacular, this is going to be a very good year.  I wish all of you the best possible year.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

Hey folks, Happy New Years Day.  I managed to stay sober last night, and was up in time to watch the sunrise - it was spectacular, this is going to be a very good year.  I wish all of you the best possible year.

Sunrise? What's that?

i thought it was supposed to be warm down here in the RGV. Currently 34 w/rain. Haven't see the sun for days. 

Gettin mixed up the Country Sweet Cornbread, have soft butter and honey for that later. Black Eyed Peas with Apple smoked bacon and diced pork shoulder, unyawn and garlic, greens with maple smoked bacon unyawn and garlic. That's always New Years dinner. Gonna have a ribs from last night's herb encrusted rack of lamb for those that don't totally like the peas too. I really need to get a wife...errrr I mean life lol.