Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishndude57

Who's Got a Good...

18 posts in this topic

I'm cooking a Pedimont prime rib for a couple of our friends on Christmas Day. Who's got a GOOD SLOW COOK recipe? I'll be going 4 bone so probably 6-8lb roast. I will be making my own horseradish, and beef soup bone au jus as well. Crab is also on the menu per request. Of course smashed spuds, gravy, and green beans with bacon and almond slivers. I want to slow cook it this year. Will be doing in a roaster as to keep oven fresh. Thanks and please please, BE SAFE!

Best standing rip roast recipe: don't f with it.  Take your horseradish, a stick of butter and pulse to a paste with thyme, a lot of garlic, sage and rosemary (in whatever proportions float your boat) to a paste.  Rub all over your roast. Salt.  Oven to 325 and for gods sake use a meat thermometer.  130 is on the rare side of medium rare.  No canned French fried onion rings? 

Here's a little trick that works for me.  You want to cook the roast with the bones intact, but want them gone when it is time to slice. It can be a tricky step to remove the bones once you've finished cooking, and also a chore the slice the roast with the bomes intact. I cut along the line of the bones separating them from the meat before I cook, but don't cut them all the way off.  You're basically creating a bone flap that is still attached at the bottom of the four bones you're talking about.  When you season the meat prior to cooking, season the area between the meat and the bones, then use twine to tie the bones firmly back in place for cooking.  After cooking it is easier to remove the bone flap prior to cutting. It is important to let the roast rest for 30 minutes after being removed from the roaster before doing anything to it. Remember it will continue to cook through one doneness level while it is resting.  It you want to serve it at medium rare, you have to remove it from the roaster at rare.  A good meat therometer is your best friend. 

I think the secret to a great prime rib (and we are having one for Christmas as well, good choice) is to heat your oven up to 550 and let it sit at that temperature for about 10-15 minutes empty  (to make sure it really is at 550).  Rub a little salt and pepper on the outside of the roast along with any other herbs and spices you want to use (no sauce at this point), and put the roast in the oven in an uncovered glass cooking dish, fat side up, no water or other liquids in the pan.  After 10 minutes at that temperature, reduce the temperature to 325, but don't open the oven door, and let the temperature slowly drop while the roast is cooking until the meat thermometer tells you the center of the roast is at your desired temperature.  I prefer 130, but that is pretty rare.

The high heat sears the outside, trapping all juices inside, and gives a lovely light crust to the fat and meat.  This is the high-end restaurant trick, but it is easy to accomplish at home.

The meat thermometer really is an absolute must.  If you literally don't have a meat thermometer you can approximate at 15 minutes per pound, but you risk ruining the cut.

Happy cooking and Merry Christmas! 

Edited by BadBoy

1 hour ago, Happymon said:

Best standing rip roast recipe: don't f with it.  Take your horseradish, a stick of butter and pulse to a paste with thyme, a lot of garlic, sage and rosemary (in whatever proportions float your boat) to a paste.  Rub all over your roast. Salt.  Oven to 325 and for gods sake use a meat thermometer.  130 is on the rare side of medium rare.  No canned French fried onion rings? 

Ummm what the onion rings for? 

5 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

I think the secret to a great prime rib (and we are having one for Christmas as well, good choice) is to heat your oven up to 550 and let it sit at that temperature for about 10-15 minutes empty  (to make sure it really is at 550).  Rub a little salt and pepper on the outside of the roast along with any other herbs and spices you want to use (no sauce at this point), and put the roast in the oven in an uncovered glass cooking dish, fat side up, no water or other liquids in the pan.  After 10 minutes at that temperature, reduce the temperature to 325, but don't open the oven door, and let the temperature slowly drop while the roast is cooking until the meat thermometer tells you the center of the roast is at your desired temperature.  I prefer 130, but that is pretty rare.

The high heat sears the outside, trapping all juices inside, and gives a lovely light crust to the fat and meat.  This is the high-end restaurant trick, but it is easy to accomplish at home.

The meat thermometer really is an absolute must.  If you literally don't have a meat thermometer you can approximate at 15 minutes per pound, but you risk ruining the cut.

Happy cooking and Merry Christmas! 

Yes, I have a meat thermometer. I'm torn between this method and slow cook. I guess I can warm or finish up in the roaster. I'm also making Yorkshire pudding. "How can you have any pudding if you don't beat your meat" :rolleyes:

Also, if someone is alone and prefers not to be I have room at my table for 2 more, yes it's eating with strangers, and none stranger than me, just PM me. No reason to be alone or shy. 

5 minutes ago, fishndude57 said:

Ummm what the onion rings for? 

Your green beans silly.....

2 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

Also, if someone is alone and prefers not to be I have room at my table for 2 more, yes it's eating with strangers, and none stranger than me, just PM me. No reason to be alone or shy. 

You are just so damned sweet!  I really enjoy your posts, etc.  Merry Christmas, fishndude, maybe some day we can go wet a fly (that is, if you are willing to fish standing up in a river) :rolleyes:

As to the recipe at hand:  If your roaster will go up to 550, I think it would still work, just reduce the temperature to 250 after 10 minutes.  There is no magic in the 325 temperature, it just gets it done faster.  That is why the thermometer is so important, so no matter what the oven temperature is, the roast will be perfect.

21 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

You are just so damned sweet!  I really enjoy your posts, etc.  Merry Christmas, fishndude, maybe some day we can go wet a fly (that is, if you are willing to fish standing up in a river) :rolleyes:

As to the recipe at hand:  If your roaster will go up to 550, I think it would still work, just reduce the temperature to 250 after 10 minutes.  There is no magic in the 325 temperature, it just gets it done faster.  That is why the thermometer is so important, so no matter what the oven temperature is, the roast will be perfect.

Merry Christmas to you and to all too Bad Boy. My fly fishing gear might be worth more than my boat, I'm not opposed to any kind of fishing actually. I used to be a purist till I got a float tube, still fly fishing only, then a pontoon with electric motor and bottom bouncing then lures. Then a boat, although really a boat is a royal pain in the ass. Depends on the river, and obviously time of year. I got tired, I mean tired of trout fishing, lil bassturds are slimy, therefore I call them slimers, Still tasty lil critters tho. I'd take you up on that. Roaster don't push 550 and I don't wan't to sear this roast. While I could of got the same roast at King Stoopids for $50, 3x that for my Peidimont roast. I shop at Carmine Lenardo's Deli. Their Italian sausage is IMO the best in town. I do hear there's getter up around Federal & 38th tho, just gotta remember who. 

Fish let's make it a threesome and hit the streams next year.  Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday season.  

9 minutes ago, petey-9950 said:

Fish let's make it a threesome and hit the streams next year.  Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday season.  

Yup after Brook put us in touch with each other this should have already been done. LOL all I've done is use your business resources for my benefit..so far that has worked well, thank you!

Colorado Cache cookbook has the BEST recipe for slow cooked beef. As follows:

Start at 3 o"clock

pre heat over to 400 degrees

put in roast with smal amounts of salt, pepper anda bit of Tyme

let roast for 45 minutes

turn off over

DO NOT OPEN DOOR

1 hour before you want to eat s restart oven at 375 degrees cook 45 monutes

take out and let rest for 15 minutes

carve and serve

5 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

Ugghhhh I just found out I have to work :( Eat Some for me!

9 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Ugghhhh I just found out I have to work :( Eat Some for me!

Dinners not till 5 

6 hours ago, fishndude57 said:

Dinners not till 5 

Muah !! I will even settle for leftovers the next day 😁..

Fish, you need to get on Pinterest...it’s an app. Otherwise go with happymons recipe and adjust for a slow cooker.

btw the French fried onions are for green bean casserole...staple food for any holiday dinner. The key is one can of milk to 3 cans cream of mushroom soup. Yummy! 

If you've never made homemade horseradish, DON'T, this shit is for the strong only, WOW, POW!

Roast came out perfect. Used everyone's advice but did it backwards. I did the high heat sear at the end because I cooked it slow in the roaster 1st. I can't believe how popular something as simple as Yorkshire pudding. My ex would have been proud of me as that's the only other time I had it in 2002. The ladies were all cool and got along just fine. Would I do it again...yes. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year All!