Raine-7379

Tis the season for giving.

18 posts in this topic

There are so many wonderful charities to give to, and some really bad ones.  I do not want to give when only 0.001 % goes to the cause, but the CEO makes  a 12 million Christmas bonus. 

I like toys for tots.  I think it is run by the military, so the toys may not show up until April.

St Jude's.

Local food banks.

I hope to find all the amazing ones, and stop giving to these disingenuous non profits.

I wish this charity had a Colorado chapter.  https://www.comfortcases.org/

I've been involved with the foster care system in CO and these poor kids have such poor lives.  It's true just how much having some real personal luggage can help them transition from home to home instead of living out of a damn garbage bag.

That leads into Adoptex https://www.adoptex.org/get-involved/donate/online-donations/

They're the organization that connects potential adoptive parents with the kids in the foster care system here and in a few neighboring states.  I think they do more to get kids into permanent stable homes than just about anyone else around.   

Look into TAPS.  It is a great cause and .90 of every dollar goes to the victims.  

Actually, I know a lot of providers struggling real hard this Christmas season, and a lot of them are single moms or moms with kids. Give to a provider...donate to the smaller people, not the corporations rolling in millions of dollars not giving a shit in their fancy mansions eating at 5 star eateries and buying frivolities we can only dream of ever having. When you help out the poor, it takes care of the economy. If you are uncomfortable doing that, then support the smaller local charities that provide food, housing, clothes, and jobs to people in need.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

4 minutes ago, SultryKitten said:

Actually, I know a lot of providers struggling real hard this Christmas season, and a lot of them are single moms or moms with kids. Give to a provider...donate to the smaller people, not the corporations rolling in millions of dollars not giving a shit in their fancy mansions eating at 5 star eateries and buying frivolities we can only dream of ever having. When you help out the poor, it takes care of the economy. If you are uncomfortable doing that, then support the smaller local charities that provide food, housing, clothes, and jobs to people in need.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

A RW world friend lost his job, so instead of putting my toys in the Walmart box, I will be buying his son toys this Christmas.  I agree, Sam, I will not give to any corporate charity.  

So a bunch of my friends and I from school are going out to various corners and malls with signs that read...

I have a home and food in my belly, I’m collecting for someone who doesn’t.

My kids have warm coats and toys, I’m collecting for someone who needs them 

well be collecting $ and tents and socks and sleeping bags, portable stoves, etc. 

FYI...after Dec 8, WRHS will be taking donations at the school up untill Christmas break and begin again in January. 

For my fact finders... 20% is much higher than what I have heard the good will gives.  I have heard less than 1% for them.

Is it true that Susan G. Komen, the huge breast cancer organization gives only 20 percent of its donations to cancer research and pays its CEO $684,000 per year? 

We all know someone battling or lost the fight.  I have never done those walks, and never will!!

3 hours ago, Raine-7379 said:

For my fact finders... 20% is much higher than what I have heard the good will gives.  I have heard less than 1% for them.

Is it true that Susan G. Komen, the huge breast cancer organization gives only 20 percent of its donations to cancer research and pays its CEO $684,000 per year? 

We all know someone battling or lost the fight.  I have never done those walks, and never will!!

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4509

CEO makes $496k.  Supposedly they spend about 80% on "program expenses" which research and such falls under, and about 20% on overhead.  So better than it used to be.  However, there are several others that do much better.

There are many wonderful Charities to give to and Toys for Tots is certainly one of them I chose to put money into the education of teachers for children by creating a endowed scholarship we're 100% of the proceeds goes to support a student working to learn early childhood education

Toys.... Looking for help from the parents with kids around 5 to 10. 

I bought all the marvel mini figures, candy land, a few Barbie's.  Are there any must have toys this year?? 

1 hour ago, Raine-7379 said:

I bought all the marvel mini figures, candy land, a few Barbie's.  Are there any must have toys this year?? 

Hatchimals!

2 hours ago, Raine-7379 said:

Anything Paw Patrol or PJ Masks.

Max  Fund and Dumb Friends League can always use help. And so can the wide variety of no-kill shelters.

Can someone tell me what the hot toys are for children 10 and under? I too will be contributing. A list of hottest toys would be awesome. Especially from a mom or GMA on TOB who knows!

I am so out of touch! Slinky and Pokey are probably no longer cool. I remember those easy bake ovens. They baked tiny cakes with a light bulb. Pretty dangerious back in the day! Yikes instant fire!

This is a great thread Raine. Thank you!