Leonalune

Making friends vs. being a loner

23 posts in this topic

I go back and forth on this. 

Hope u all are healthy and happy. I trust easily and then I am a skeptic. 

I've been used and abused.

Want to network but also want to be independent.

Definitely a control freak, but also respectful .

Sending kind and good vibes to you sweetheart.  If you ever need or want to talk please reach out.

At the end of middle age, I'm mostly a loner. I like to do what I want, when I want. I do have a few close friends who have my unquestioning support, when they need/ask.

I also enjoy group activities in small (2 to 6 hours) doses. 

Feel free.to talk to me also I think we all know what lonely feels like. Especially in this business. Ladies and men alike. We all have the need to connect for frienship to support each other. Give advise and just listen laugh and share what is going on. Even if it is boring. 

I'm definitely a relatively small circle of friends kind of person. Making it in the world as a complete loner it challenging.

Strange as it may seem, whore that I am, my wife of 30 years is still my best friend.  My only other real friends are my adult children.  I used to have some really good friends, but they all died on me. I'm friendly with lots of folks, and quite a few of the ladies, but I wouldn't call them to come get me in North Platte at 2 a.m. if my car died - that's the definition of a friend.  Four's enough, but I'm so glad that I have four.

Quoting Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) in one of my all-time favorite songs:

Yes I understand
That every life must end.
As we sit alone,
I know someday we must go.
Yeah I'm a lucky man
To count on both hands
The ones I love.
Some folks just have one,
Yeah others they got none.
Stay with me,
Let's just breathe.

The whole thing for those of you interested:

Nature of my job limits chances for friends & dates. I work a weird spiral shift from 1st through 3rd shift, with on call stints too. Hard to plan a night out when i'm stuck working super early or super late. So it's just me, some books, and our community. Been trying to make use of prebooks recently instead of hey who's posted right now that i'm used to. It's not going well. But maybe today it'll finally work out. 

I'd suggest a ToB meet up, but after Seattle...

Yes the folks on this Board will be glad to talk to you, reply to posts, and if you like you can call some of us just to talk.

I guess I'm a loner yet looking to connect, just don't know where to look. I'm married, have two children in in their 20's and feel I'm overlooked. I know it's mostly me and how I see myself and role I've played at home.  I've been thinking more about getting a divorce yet afraid of the unknowns. Not to be a downer, and have had so many amazingly good moments with some denver providers! 

I am a loner as I suspect that a lot of us that partake of this hobby are.  My job requires that I be away a lot on things that I cannot talk about.  My wife is deceased (early in life) and my children are grown and live in different states far away from here.  I am used to this life now but around the holidays it can get a bit lonely.  I have a lot of acquaintances and a few close friends and that is what makes things more bearable.  I would like to not be such a loner and when I retire I plan on correcting that aspect.  Best wishes to all you are alone especially this time of year.  Hang in There!

I’m all about trusting VERY few people on here...like 5 total. I’ve been effed over more times than I can count so while I am polite to everyone, I’m not trusting of everyone. My best friend will never again be a fellow provider. I trust 3 ladies on here....that’s it. I’m not looking to get together and braid hair and share our dreams. I vote for pretty much being a loner and having a BIG life outside of here. 

I'm a lone wolf. Tougher for people to hurt me or my reputation. I keep out of the gossip and negative vibes. I have no idea what rumors are flying around and I love it. Good luck. 

I might live alone, I might eat alone usually, but I am never alone. My friends always ask how I am. My family cares. Even my friends here stay in contact and ask if everything ok. No it not always is. This easily will be one of the roughest holidays I've experienced and I'm 60 years old. This year, I choose to not be alone, by being as good a friend as I can be to others that need a friend as much as I do. 

4 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

I’m all about trusting VERY few people on here...like 5 total. I’ve been effed over more times than I can count so while I am polite to everyone, I’m not trusting of everyone. My best friend will never again be a fellow provider. I trust 3 ladies on here....that’s it. I’m not looking to get together and braid hair and share our dreams. I vote for pretty much being a loner and having a BIG life outside of here. 

We've never met but I find you to be a class act. Always kind and non-judgmental, I imagine you to be quite the lady.

For me my circle of friends has slowly diminished over time.  A tight group that scattered to the winds after graduation, then career changes and I realize that my family is what is around me now.  I've been more a of loner most of my life, sometimes I regret that I don't have those buddies that I hang with all the time, maybe that's the appeal of this forum and related activities, easy to get involved yet keep an arm's length.  For me it boils down to comfort, I see others that find their comfort in having a large circle, I seem to find comfort in solace or a few close friends.  You have to do what feels good in your skin.

Your going to have to do what's comfortable for you.

True friendship. Is hard to find most people only have a couple of true friends in there life.

Hope you find yours.

On 12/21/2017 at 5:35 PM, SydneyCoxxx said:

I'm a lone wolf. Tougher for people to hurt me or my reputation. I keep out of the gossip and negative vibes. I have no idea what rumors are flying around and I love it. Good luck. 

Make sense. Just not so easy as you said.

I'm a loner and fiercly independent. I love being single, and most of my friends are people I've known for a very long time. They know all my bugaboos and I know theirs, its just easy. At 45, making new friends just seems to be on the bottom of my list of priorities. That being said, yes, I do get lonely from time to time. It would be nice to have someone to go see a movie with, or go workout with. As long as we don't have to talk all the time, or text back forth, wanting to know how my day is going, what I did that day. I'm not very good at all that stuff.  I don't know how you feel exactly, but for me, sometimes I just want someone physically there me without a whole lot of convo. It's a introvert/extrovert thing. 

Not knowing anyone and moving here I can definitely relate. Unfortunately life has DEF taught me to be very leery of trusting people. It seems when you do they pounce on you like prey.

Pretty much a loner even though I deal eith many people everyday. I am at peace with myself and love this life. I always want to be friends with the ladies here after we meet but know that's not appropriate. As I get older I suppose I am hard on myself for being on TOB as the physical and emotional contact can be addictive. I don't know how long I will be on this site but it's coming up two years now. I just try not to judge myself to harshly for being here.

I understand why providers would want to be loners. What do you do if someone asks if you “have a friend”?