Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnboy#1

Mel Tillis

18 posts in this topic

T T T T Too Too Too B B B B Bad Bad.  R R R Really L L L Liked Him.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

T T T T Too Too Too B B B B Bad Bad.  R R R Really L L L Liked Him.

In my opinion, making fun of someone's disability, after they have passed, when a thread was started to honor them, is in pretty poor taste.

I always thought Mel was funny, and extremely talented. RIP

Mel turned that so called disability into an asset and at times poked fun at it himself. yes, he will be missed.

Loved the duets album that Mel Tillis recorded with Nancy Sinatra . Agree that he was a good entertainer,songwriter ,musician,singer...and by all accounts..a nice guy.  He also gave us Pam Tillis !!   Saw Mel and his daughter in concert together, very enjoyable. Pam is touring/recording with Lorrie Morgan these days. Read Pam's heartbreaking tribute to her dad on facebook today.

3 hours ago, pfunk said:

In my opinion, making fun of someone's disability, after they have passed, when a thread was started to honor them, is in pretty poor taste.

I agree making fun of someone’s disability is poor taste, he did a lot for country music and will be missed

He was  a great talent. My grandparents loved him!  

Bless them all! 

21 hours ago, pfunk said:

Mel's stutter was a part of his act, it was his schtick.  When he was in the movies, he stuttered in character - actors with a stutter never stutter in character (because they have memorized the part - same reason Mel never stuttered when he sang). To send him off with a stuttered goodbye is a form of homage.  Sorry to offend, I am sure Mel was fine with it.

Edited by BadBoy

Mel's stuttering was caused by a childhood illness.

He adapted to his stuttering and used it to his advantage in his career. 

However, he never made fun of it.

I have had a stutter most of my life, but not as bad as Mel.  He did make it a big part of his act and a big part of who he was.  Not unlike Dolly Parton uses certain assets she has as part of her act.  I don't think Mel would take offense to people pointing it out now. 

Edited by Mustang87
typos

43 minutes ago, ilovewomen said:

Mel's stuttering was caused by a childhood illness.

He adapted to his stuttering and used it to his advantage in his career. 

However, he never made fun of it.

Really?

4 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Mel's stutter was a part of his act, it was his schtick.  When he was in the movies, he stuttered in character - actors with a stutter never stutter in character (because they have memorized the part - same reason Mel never stuttered when he sang). To send him off with a stuttered goodbye is a form of homage.  Sorry to offend, I am sure Mel was fine with it.

Memorization is part of it, but a major part is that music uses different parts of the brain.

7 minutes ago, Bit Banger said:

Memorization is part of it, but a major part is that music uses different parts of the brain.

One of my favorite current singers stutters, she did a talk on it a few years back.

1 hour ago, FuriousWeasel said:

One of my favorite current singers stutters, she did a talk on it a few years back.

I may have found a new artist to listen too!  Good Stuff! :)

Hey, lighten up!  In the real world I am a professional disability advocate and do more for the benefit of disabled people in a week than most people do in their entire lives.  I spend much of each day with people in wheelchairs, on prosthetics, in mental fogs, dragging oxygen bottles, you name it.  So maybe I'm just a little more comfortable joking about life and it's array of challenges than most people are, since the one thing that all disabled people can joke about is their disability.

I loved Mel Tillis (yes, I am that old), and like I said earlier, my stuttered good bye was a homage to not only the man, but the character he created and fruitfully exploited.  I said goodbye to him the same way he would have said it to me, with a stutter.

So there, it's how I feel and f f f f fuck you if you don't like it.

Jeeze, everybody is so damned judgmental around here.

Bad Boy- No need to feel like you need to defend yourself. The video you posted painted Mel in a very golden light. Highly talented entertaining man and very good looking! 

I have Retinitus Pigmatosis as well as cataracts in both my eyes. I refuse to give up on myself. I know me and what I am made of.  And ya that's all that matters! 😀😀

BTW, Mel Tillis was a great CW artist in his day