Audrey Astor

Are any of you...

57 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Minimalists, or interested in becoming one?

Hmmm.....not really.

No, she who dies with the most toys wins! 😂

ok seriouly, in what context are you referring? Art, philosophy, survivalist? 

31 minutes ago, Melissa Sterling said:

... ok seriouly, in what context are you referring? Art, philosophy, survivalist? 

^^ this ^^ was my thought. 

BTW: I'm in favor of minimum clothing. 😁

An area of minimal-ism that some women have evolved to over the years.. (I'm a fan of both, btw)

Related image

Edited by outlaw1

10 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I started down the path of becoming a minimalist the fist time I measured my dick. :D

38 minutes ago, boink36 said:

I started down the path of becoming a minimalist the fist time I measured my dick. :D

This made me spit my coffee out! Thanks Boink36 😂

Well now let's see......I have a 2000 square foot house and live alone. I have two Tuff Sheds, massive closet and shelf space, use all the rooms. I guess that would be a NO!

Edited by Admiral C
It's Miss Splellings fault

3 hours ago, outlaw1 said:

An area of minimal-ism that some women have evolved to over the years.. (I'm a fan of both, btw)

Related image

That is fucking hysterical. lol

Here's the context I meant. Nothing to do with bush or penis size. lol

I watched another documentary on Netflix regarding how we have become such HUGE over consumers. I have been guilty of that. I guess the context I meant is reducing the amount of stuff that we have, and only having what we need. There was a guy on there, that had everything he owned in 2 duffle bags. He wasn't a bum, he just got tired of all of the crap. There was a family with a little that moved into a 400sf tiny house. I'm not sure I could do that, but have been in the process of reducing stuff to only what I need. The issue for me, and probably many others are family heirlooms and history. Will the next generation even care about that stuff? They probably won't, but I can't dispose of it. I have a friend that has at least 50 tshirts, and wall to wall lined with shelves, decor, collectibles. etc. All of that stuff makes me anxious. We can only wear 7 tshirts in a week if we wear one every day. My philosophy is pick out your 5 favorites, get rid of the rest. Have you noticed how many storage facilities have been built? How the dumps are overflowing? Oh no, a bigger, better newer one came out, I better dispose of my perfectly good one to get the new one. The idea of the show (and these go out and give lectures), is to only keep what you use, and what makes you happy. If we are not so busy trying to acquire more stuff, we can spend more time living life. Maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy.

2 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I watched another documentary on Netflix regarding how we have become such HUGE over consumers. I have been guilty of that. I guess the context I meant is reducing the amount of stuff that we have, and only having what we need. There was a guy on there, that had everything he owned in 2 duffle bags. He wasn't a bum, he just got tired of all of the crap. There was a family with a little that moved into a 400sf tiny house. I'm not sure I could do that, but have been in the process of reducing stuff to only what I need. The issue for me, and probably many others are family heirlooms and history. Will the next generation even care about that stuff? They probably won't, but I can't dispose of it. I have a friend that has at least 50 tshirts, and wall to wall lined with shelves, decor, collectibles. etc. All of that stuff makes me anxious. We can only wear 7 tshirts in a week if we wear one every day. My philosophy is pick out your 5 favorites, get rid of the rest. Have you noticed how many storage facilities have been built? How the dumps are overflowing? Oh no, a bigger, better newer one came out, I better dispose of my perfectly good one to get the new one. The idea of the show (and these go out and give lectures), is to only keep what you use, and what makes you happy. If we are not so busy trying to acquire more stuff, we can spend more time living life. Maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy.

I have more than 5 fishing poles and the odds of me getting rid of one are about the same as you passing for a man in a nude lineup. it's never going to happen. :D 

I agree, Audrey.  I also believe that this can apply to more than just possessions.  I heard a quote once, "Every now and again you have to weed your garden".  I interpreted that as getting rid of the negatives in your life that hold you back from being the best version of yourself.  Whether it be friends, possessions,  influences, etc.  

4 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

I just spent the past week selling things I no longer need or use. Brand new clean backyard. Iv got 7 big trash bags of stuff I don't need or use. 

About a decade ago I moved from a 2 story house w/full basement into a 2br condo, walls lined with bookcases.  PAINFUL! Is there a 12-step program for readers?

I spend a good deal of time in an 8x40 RV. Keeping track of "is something in the condo or the trailer" can be tricky. Fortunately I don't wear a lot of clothes. 😁

5 hours ago, boink36 said:

I have more than 5 fishing poles and the odds of me getting rid of one are about the same as you passing for a man in a nude lineup. it's never going to happen. :D 

And with this philosophy, that's ok. You use them, they make you happy. :-)

21 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

Not necessarily by choice, but it has been an enjoyable ride.

Funny you brought this up. I have spent the last few days going through clothes, shoes, boxes, etc getting rid of stuff that I am tired of clinging on to. If it was just me in the household, I would be all for one of those little houses. I would love the tiny, cramped, but cozy space.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

On 10/23/2017 at 4:40 AM, Audrey Astor said:

Yes, I'm becoming more interested as time moves on, or at least curious.

I'm definitely a minimalist. I live in a very small condo (essentially one room, with a bed in a loft). I used to have hundreds of books, records, CDs---all gone. My books are in my Kindle and my music is in my iPad. My whole life could fit into a few suitcases.

I strongly believe in the philosophy described in Marie Kondo's book, The Life‑Changing Magic of Tidying Up. If something doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it---now. I've recommended that book to everyone I know and given copies to friends.

4 hours ago, tobias846 said:

I'm definitely a minimalist. I live in a very small condo (essentially one room, with a bed in a loft). I used to have hundreds of books, records, CDs---all gone. My books are in my Kindle and my music is in my iPad. My whole life could fit into a few suitcases.

I strongly believe in the philosophy described in Marie Kondo's book, The Life‑Changing Magic of Tidying Up. If something doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it---now. I've recommended that book to everyone I know and given copies to friends.

I will never get rid of my books! They're dusty, heavy and take up so much space but they're my friends. 

I tried Mario Kondo, I think she's a little kooky. I need some organization in my life but that wasn't for me. 

I have tried. However, parting from my shoes was rather difficult and after a bottle of wine decided it was not worth it.

Obviously I am the opposite. Have the same stuff in two different houses,Pasadena and Denver. Why pack a suitcase when I can have what i need in two places ??? (toothbrush,clothes, etc )   As for the 7 shirt theory ? Hmm..have two suits  (one a funeral special,the other casual ), a tuxedo, jeans and the shirts to match each ,in both cities. ( cowboy plaid shirt doesn't go well with a tux ) Hobby wise...I'ld have gone insane if not for my books,CDs,and DVDs  during the wheelchair occupation.,they kept my mind busy and entertained.

I give away socks to the homeless with their signs out for money, give old unwanted things to charity.Recently shipped a lot of clothes that no longer fit to the hurricane victims .   Recycle often.  Am looking at renting a storage unit on a temp basis for my studio furniture ,while the floor is replaced. But can't see having so much stuff to need a storage unit on a permanent basis.

Pondering divorce, that ought to accomplish the same end. B)

There is something comforting in knowing after a lifetime of enjoying my things, when I die I will leave everyone with a god awful mess of shit to deal with.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:40 PM, Audrey Astor said:

Audrey,

I am a self proclaimed hoarder. VERY tidy mind you. You will just need to come over and check out my living room someday. 😀😀

22 hours ago, tobias846 said:

Thank you for recommending Marie Kondo's book. I put the book on my reading list.

12 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Pondering divorce, that ought to accomplish the same end. B)

I hope you're being:( silly.

On 10/22/2017 at 11:40 PM, Audrey Astor said:

Minimizing.  You can pay me now....or pay me later.

As an aging adult caregiver (kids just out of college, failing parents) I can promise you it is coming.  I have had to move parents out of their homes into assisted living....and then from assisted living into a nursing home, and then into a 6'x3' hole in the ground.  At each step there was a grieving process as they had to give up pieces of their lives that they had accumulated over decades.

I was able to mitigate some of the pain....with a hobby farm with many outbuildings, I was able to "tuck" away many things for them.  Things they never needed or saw or used again.  But it was somehow a comfort that they knew where they were.  Sad.  After death, some items with fond memories attached were given to kids and grandkids.....but most just ended up in the local landfill.

Things don't matter, people.  How you live your life, and treat the people around you is what matters.

"Time it was, and what a time was, it was....

a time of innocence,

a time of confidences.

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph.

Preserve your memories,

they're all that's left you."

Bookends.  Simon & Garfunkel