Chrissy

Mans Dinner Menu

23 posts in this topic

And no I'm not talking about our menu's LOL.

Serious Note :)

I have family members coming from overseas (servicemen and a few New additions) and I want to serve them a Great surprise  "I missed Home" feast, (They will be present for Our Big Family Turkey day, So avoiding that menu) but I have NO clue what servicemen overseas have been eating and what they're going to want when they come home? What do Transplants eat in Europe? In previous mentions They said there is a couple of Fast food  chains Like Mc D's, Subway with menu variations  but what about At home dinners? All I know is some breads they mentioned Liking and lots of Beef with Gravy and crème dishes :(

Do Europeans even BBQ? Eat Mexican Food? (Weird ? IK) Chinese Take out? Ect ect.   

Its a really big Shindig Surprise Bash with the help of Knucklehead Siblings so I can't really ask them, worried they will spill the beans and I suck at decorations LOL. 

HELP! I've got "The Meats" down (I hope)

But am a lost Deep Fried Turkey about Now :( 

Whoa! Scary thought! Do they even Eat Fried Turkey???  

Edited by Chrissy

Personally, whenever I have the option, I choose childhood favorites. Things I rarely got unless mom, or my sister, made them.

Hamburgers, potato salad, potatos au gratin, corn on the cobb, dinner rolls, freshly made salad, home-made cookies, cherry pie, and on and on.

Family foods from childhood have always made me feel "home".

Regardless of what you cook, I'm sure the gathering will be fun, warm, and joyful. You, and your family, will be there, right!  :)

1 hour ago, pfunk said:

Personally, whenever I have the option, I choose childhood favorites. Things I rarely got unless mom, or my sister, made them.

Hamburgers, potato salad, potatos au gratin, corn on the cobb, dinner rolls, freshly made salad, home-made cookies, cherry pie, and on and on.

Family foods from childhood have always made me feel "home".

Regardless of what you cook, I'm sure the gathering will be fun, warm, and joyful. You, and your family, will be there, right!  :)

I am definitely throwing in Childhood favorites but I guess I am really worried about the "Guests" I have never met any of them in person and This is the first trip To the states for them. I want the food to be something they would eat.. 11 are coming and that's a lot of different pallets.

Does anyone here Have Food experience with Folks from Europe? What Did you eat when There ? What's a popular No fail home Dish?

Ya know something Like Our American Chili LOL 

In most areas they might have bbq, mexican, etc., but they're pale imitations.  Tacos in Euroland tend to be the blandest things you've ever had, for example.  

Do the best burgers you can pull off, get a few lbs of various bbq meats from a local shop, go with the potato salad, all that.  Go all American picnic.

12 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

In most areas they might have bbq, mexican, etc., but they're pale imitations.  Tacos in Euroland tend to be the blandest things you've ever had, for example.  

Do the best burgers you can pull off, get a few lbs of various bbq meats from a local shop, go with the potato salad, all that.  Go all American picnic.

Your absolutelty right! They're coming to the states So give them a Stateside menu. I am sure they are probably talking about American barbecue, Mexican tacos, Fried Chicken  and such.. I am definitely going to give it to them. American Style!!! 

But I still want to offer home dishes JUST encase they hate American Food LOL

I had the very best Chinese food in London. 

Chrissy no need to fret they will love whatever you prepare I am sure!! Home cooked meals are best and men who have been away for service will forever love what you prepare for them especially being that it is coming from your heart! ❤❤

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

Your absolutelty right! They're coming to the states So give them a Stateside menu. I am sure they are probably talking about American barbecue, Mexican tacos, Fried Chicken  and such.. I am definitely going to give it to them. American Style!!! 

But I still want to offer home dishes JUST encase they hate American Food LOL

Who could possibly hate American food?  Don't forget to order a pizza!  

Recently had some Aussie friends come for a visit for a bit over a week.  All they wanted was Mexican, burgers, pizza, just everything local!  They even loved going to Black Eyed Pea and were amazed at free refills, baskets of rolls and cornbread, everything.  

I understand though about not knowing what the newcomers might want to do.  Hopefully they want to experience all the great food and sights we offer.  And probably put on 10 lbs...I mean, 4.5 kilos.

47 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

I had the very best Chinese food in London. 

Chrissy no need to fret they will love whatever you prepare I am sure!! Home cooked meals are best and men who have been away for service will forever love what you prepare for them especially being that it is coming from your heart! ❤❤

England does Chinese and Indian food really well.  And other foods from the former British Empire.  They even say that English makes better Indian food than India in most cases.

Fried chicken might be not that "Merican" in that fried chicken is pretty universal across cultures. And with servicemen, probably getting that in the mess.

And smoked meats are fairly common (think Asian style ribs). That said, a smoked brisket or pork shoulder would be something different. With usual trimming (slaw, beans, etc).

Good Mexican does not pop up overseas from my experiences.

Fried turkey would be interesting in that guessing that probably not showing up over seas (guessing the mess does roasted). And easy to pull off.

My family: 3:30 minutes/lb with oil at 350 degrees. Paula Deen: 3:00 minutes/lb with additional 5:00 minutes. Just need to make sure turkey is defrosted and pretty much dry inside. Helps to have a long piece of lumber or rebar to slowly dip the turkey into the oil and not get splatter on you.

Cajun/creole? Jambalayas, etufe (sp).

Old fashioned pies for sweets? Sure they have similar re: tarts, but say, pecan, bourbon pecan, pumpkin?

Meatloaf? Fancy it up with bison or veal instead of straight ground beef.

Guessing probably any childhood comfort food favorites will be a welcome hit.

Edited by NoCoGeezer

16 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Fried chicken might be not that "Merican" in that fried chicken is pretty universal across cultures. And with servicemen, probably getting that in the mess.

And smoked meats are fairly common (think Asian style ribs). That said, a smoked brisket or pork shoulder would be something different. With usual trimming (slaw, beans, etc).

Good Mexican does not pop up overseas from my experiences.

Fried turkey would be interesting in that guessing that probably not showing up over seas (guessing the mess does roasted). And easy to pull off.

My family: 3:30 minutes/lb with oil at 350 degrees. Paula Deen: 3:00 minutes/lb with additional 5:00 minutes. Just need to make sure turkey is defrosted and pretty much dry inside. Helps to have a long piece of lumber or rebar to slowly dip the turkey into the oil and not get splatter on you.

Cajun/creole? Jambalayas, etufe (sp).

Old fashioned pies for sweets? Sure they have similar re: tarts, but say, pecan, bourbon pecan, pumpkin?

Meatloaf? Fancy it up with bison or veal instead of straight ground beef.

Guessing probably any childhood comfort food favorites will be a welcome hit.

OMG! I forgot about Southern Dishes!  I have got to add fried okra and Jambalaya.  Ty love!

And I have 3 types of pies in the deepfreezer LOL I can't bake :( (French silk, Cherry, Lemon Meringue and trying to avoid Turkey day stuff since they will be here till Mid Dec and once again havimg another  huge feast then. . 

2 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

Recently had some Aussie friends come for a visit for a bit over a week.  All they wanted was Mexican, burgers, pizza, just everything local!  They even loved going to Black Eyed Pea and were amazed at free refills, baskets of rolls and cornbread, everything.  

I understand though about not knowing what the newcomers might want to do.  Hopefully they want to experience all the great food and sights we offer.  And probably put on 10 lbs...I mean, 4.5 kilos.

England does Chinese and Indian food really well.  And other foods from the former British Empire.  They even say that English makes better Indian food than India in most cases.

Never was able to try the Indian food while I was studying in England. However, the Chinese food I had was fabulous!! I could talk in lengths about other countries and their cuisine...I think Turkey was my favorite country for food. Sorry, I am taking this conversation off topic. 

Unless I missed something, it sounds like they will all be here for an extended visit... so... Why not start with a varied American menu and see which dishes go over well and which don't so that you can narrow it down for the following meals. Even if it turns out some of them don't care for American food, they will appreciate your efforts. And what a great family bonding experience it will be if you invite the new additions to join you in the kitchen to teach you a few foreign dishes for your subsequent meals! :-)

22 hours ago, Chrissy said:

OMG! I forgot about Southern Dishes!  I have got to add fried okra and Jambalaya.  Ty love!

And I have 3 types of pies in the deepfreezer LOL I can't bake :( (French silk, Cherry, Lemon Meringue and trying to avoid Turkey day stuff since they will be here till Mid Dec and once again havimg another  huge feast then. . 

I have a killer recipe for deviled eggs, pasta salad and a sour cream/dill potato salad.... Oh...and homemade mac and cheese with ham in it👌

10 hours ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Never was able to try the Indian food while I was studying in England. However, the Chinese food I had was fabulous!! I could talk in lengths about other countries and their cuisine...I think Turkey was my favorite country for food. Sorry, I am taking this conversation off topic. 

Noooo please share Your cuisines experiences!.  Topic here is Food :)

12 hours ago, FuriousWeasel said:

That would be the Best Compliment ever!  LOL Bring stretchy clothes when Staying with "This" Hostess

Hon, these Europeans are going to want to have an experience so make them stuff that is American. After all, we make food here that no other countries have. Meat in Europe is not usually good which is why they cover it with gravy so make sure they enjoy some good meat while they are here. Also, Colorado is FAMOUS for their many breweries so make sure they try a few local favorites, and don't forget the wines made here as well. (*cough* Holy Cross) Also, throw in a few of your favorite dishes that you like to make(or you think you are awesome at). The fun of being the hostess is when the people gush over your own "special spin" on a dish.

Have fun!

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

22 minutes ago, SultryKitten said:

Hon, these Europeans are going to want to have an experience so make them stuff that is American. After all, we make food here that no other countries have. Meat in Europe is not usually good which is why they cover it with gravy so make sure they enjoy some good meat while they are here. Also, Colorado is FAMOUS for their many breweries so make sure they try a few local favorites, and don't forget the wines made here as well. (*cough* Holy Cross) Also, throw in a few of your favorite dishes that you like to make(or you think you are awesome at). The fun of being the hostess is when the people gush over your own "special spin" on a dish.

Have fun!

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Breweries!!! They love Alcohol duuuhhhh!!! Thank you SS 💖, I can NOT believe I didnt even have that One in my brainage!  That's it!!!

A BBQ bash with all the Fixings! Blues and Good music And lots of Beers!! Combine all Summer foods and just do a Huge Buffet

We are having the perfect Weather for it this week 😄

OMG I have it folks!   Thank yallllll ssssooooooooo much

💋💞💓💋

Xoxoxoxo

Edited by Chrissy

24 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

Breweries!!! They love Alcohol duuuhhhh!!! Thank you SS 💖, I can NOT believe I didnt even have that One in my brainage!  That's it!!!

Take them to the tour of Coors. Great time and free beer.

Do NOT forget homemade Mac and cheese....souped up if possible with multiple cheeses....green chili...or bacon....or pepperoni......etc.

6 hours ago, Admiral C said:

Do NOT forget homemade Mac and cheese....souped up if possible with multiple cheeses....green chili...or bacon....or pepperoni......etc.

I am going all-out ! My first trip to the store is done. Took me over an hour and half!! Am soooo dreading my next trip for the Chili and Jambalaya stuff :(

So far there will be ribs, Wet and Dry two different styles chicken, fried and grilled, hot dogs, bratwurst ,juicy Lucy burgers, kabobs, stuffed bell peppers, stuffed mushrooms, four different types of cold salads, and  I have two family recipe warm salads , three different casseroles. And of course all the potato chips and dips, vegetable, meat and cheese platters and I'm even doing bobbing for Apples!! Great deal at Hobby Lobby for the barrel..a good All American tradition LOL

Not done yet but I have got it covered. I am Making Desserts tonight, if not store bought. Those can thaw LOL  :) Nephews and Neices shucking corn, Siblings decorating, Dad is grilling, My Queen(momma) is gonna just chill in her chair while I make my Third attempt in life to pull off this big a shindig 😒 

So if yall see a cast about a "Huge Welcome Home @ DIA" on the news Its us 😄..please no freeze framing the TV! Hahah 

Again thank you so much EVERYONE! I was freaking out the other day when I found out I had somehow volunteered the Welcoming Committee and First days Grub, And just today I now have every detail accomplished ... Thanks for all the wonderful p.m's with ideas!!! 

Xoxoxo

Chrissy

7 hours ago, decafnaetd said:

The best man food is meat on a stick. Any meat. On a stick.

Gotta add some starch & grease.

Dip it in cornbread and deep fry that stick. 😁