Lucy Kitten

Has anyone seen....

22 posts in this topic

Ken Burns The Vietnam War?

Blade Runner 2049?

That incredible Harvest Moon on Thursday? 

32 minutes ago, Lucy Kitten said:

Ken Burns The Vietnam War? Four episodes in.  Hard to take binge style - too depressing.  Was going to ask here, then decided would probably just start a shit storm. Talk about old wounds.

Blade Runner 2049?  No, but definitely on the see it soon list

That incredible Harvest Moon on Thursday? Yes! Awesome

I take you have seen all?

57 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

I take you have seen all?

I did!! Well I haven't finished with The Vietnam War. It was way too emotionally heavy. I have learned so fucking much though. Vietnam War history has always been a touchy subject. Not being alive at the time and only learning about it much later in life I have feelings that really need to get worked out but it's hard to find someone to discuss it with because of it's horrific and sensitive nature. When they told the story of LZ X-Ray I just bawled and bawled. Deep ugly sobs especially when the showed to footage of the men that had been under siege for so long that they couldn't even get up because they were so terrified and psychologically broken. "I'm an atheist until the shooting starts again" Jeezum Crow! It was heavy but I also got a little obsessed, I love consuming new information. I'd really like to watch it with someone who has all the knowledge so I can ask questions while we watch. 

Bump 2049 to the top of the must do list. No spoilers but it was amazing, it was heavy, emotional and visually stunning. To be honest it's a better sequel than Scott himself ever could have done. I can't stress enough how visually amazing it was. The run time was long but I spent every second eyes glued to the screen as to not miss a single second or miss a single word. The director is also responsible for some other great films, Sicario, Prisoners and Arrival. I got a lot of the same feels from 2049 as I did Arrival. If you haven't seen any of those I strongly suggest you do. They are all amazing and will give you insight as to what kind of film maker Villaneuve is. A+++++++++++

I watched the Harvest Moon from Red Rocks while watching a great band by the name of Spoon. Although it was obstructed it was pretty fecking amazing. 

2 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I'd really like to watch it with someone who has all the knowledge so I can ask questions while we watch. 

I would be happy to discuss the time period and the war and the 50 other major things going on at that time to any length you might wish, provided it were agreed - no arguing and no persuading to a side.  But not on a public forum.  45 to 50 years later still too raw are the nerves on both ends of spectrum for those who were there - it would turn into a shit show. I damn sure lived through the time period, but NO ONE has all the knowledge.  If you lived through it you inevitably picked a side and from that point forward your "knowledge" got colored and shaped by those around you. Disinformation and deception was rampant.  The beginning of the "I am totally right and you are totally wrong" fucked up mentality.  Watching the first four episodes it was hard not to slide back into the whole darkness again.   It is amazing how little we fucking learn and how we keep repeating the same old shit, and for the same bullshit reasons.  Sex, dx$gs, rock and roll, civil rights getting going, Great Society ......... damn it could have been good ............ just one little problem, but it was a horrific and all encompassing one.

20 minutes ago, gr8owl said:

I would be happy to discuss the time period and the war and the 50 other major things going on at that time to any length you might wish, provided it were agreed - no arguing and no persuading to a side.  But not on a public forum.  45 to 50 years later still too raw are the nerves on both ends of spectrum for those who were there - it would turn into a shit show. I damn sure lived through the time period, but NO ONE has all the knowledge.  If you lived through it you inevitably picked a side and from that point forward your "knowledge" got colored and shaped by those around you. Disinformation and deception was rampant.  The beginning of the "I am totally right and you are totally wrong" fucked up mentality.  Watching the first four episodes it was hard not to slide back into the whole darkness again.   It is amazing how little we fucking learn and how we keep repeating the same old shit, and for the same bullshit reasons.  Sex, dx$gs, rock and roll, civil rights getting going, Great Society ......... damn it could have been good ............ just one little problem, but it was a horrific and all encompassing one.

Some of us picked a side, then saw a few things which lifted the scales from our eyes. The truth is that both sides were right & wrong at the same time. 

Blade Runner 2049 was amazing!  I would say it was one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen.  Watch it on the biggest screen possible.  I saw that it had a disappointing opening weekend $ wise, but perhaps that will change with word of mouth.  I can't wait to see it again.  Original Blade Runner was one of my all time favs and like LK said, Ridley probably would have spoiled it.

5 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

I did!! Well I haven't finished with The Vietnam War. It was way too emotionally heavy. I have learned so fucking much though. Vietnam War history has always been a touchy subject. Not being alive at the time and only learning about it much later in life I have feelings that really need to get worked out but it's hard to find someone to discuss it with because of it's horrific and sensitive nature. When they told the story of LZ X-Ray I just bawled and bawled. Deep ugly sobs especially when the showed to footage of the men that had been under siege for so long that they couldn't even get up because they were so terrified and psychologically broken. "I'm an atheist until the shooting starts again" Jeezum Crow! It was heavy but I also got a little obsessed, I love consuming new information. I'd really like to watch it with someone who has all the knowledge so I can ask questions while we watch. 

Bump 2049 to the top of the must do list. No spoilers but it was amazing, it was heavy, emotional and visually stunning. To be honest it's a better sequel than Scott himself ever could have done. I can't stress enough how visually amazing it was. The run time was long but I spent every second eyes glued to the screen as to not miss a single second or miss a single word. The director is also responsible for some other great films, Sicario, Prisoners and Arrival. I got a lot of the same feels from 2049 as I did Arrival. If you haven't seen any of those I strongly suggest you do. They are all amazing and will give you insight as to what kind of film maker Villaneuve is. A+++++++++++

I watched the Harvest Moon from Red Rocks while watching a great band by the name of Spoon. Although it was obstructed it was pretty fecking amazing. 

Thank you Lucy for sharing.

I identify with you becoming awake about revealing truths of history, especially very controversial, sensitive, and gut-wrenching history of which truths can be stranger than fiction. During the last decade or so, my eyes have been opened about many aspects of history that give me much pause, reflections, and changed my perspectives or positions. I've also been impacted by certain moving motion pictures of either history or meaningful fiction, such as "Interstellar." Yes, one can appreciate sharing conversations and reflections of these resources.

11 hours ago, JAGCS said:

Blade Runner 2049 was amazing!  I would say it was one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen.  Watch it on the biggest screen possible.  I saw that it had a disappointing opening weekend $ wise, but perhaps that will change with word of mouth.

Re: box office: saw a story over the weekend stating that $$ is not surprising. Original was a bomb at box office, not tied to any comic book or other franchise (ala "Fast and Furious 27: Electric Boogaloo"), rarely on TV so need to go out of the way to view that. It's a film that has a demo of a certain age viewer (old), and coming off a summer where none of the tentpole films did well at the box. And 2:45 long.

Torn if I want to drag myself to a real/big IMAX to see: just interested in the visuals, storyline does nothing for me.

Now, for visually stunning, "Dunkirk" was tremendous in 70mm film. Not a Nolan fan, but the combination of scope, film stock size, and the texture that actual film brings made for great viewing. Again, nothing there plot-wise (we pretty much knew how this was going to play out), but the visuals... Glad I caught that.

2 hours ago, gr8owl said:

I almost verbatim tweeted the same sentiment when I first started watching. 

I don't want it in an open forum either. I just have loads of questions of all kinds. The hindsight and not being a part of it is both a blessing a curse. I get to learn more objectively but will never fully understand the times and what it did to people. 

As one who was there (twice) I have fixed feelings about the whole thing.  Most important ws that the average Vietnamese didn't give a damn whose side you were on just don't shoot me or my family and don't burn my hut and don't screw up my rice harvest. Getting shot at wasn't fun and I didn't get a thrill out of combat. It was scar, hot and messy. On occasion I was damn glad for air support and I learned to drink scotch under fire. Didn't think we would make it that night. There were only 14 of us against a whole bunch. Sure was glad when dawn came. I was very upset when some ass hole spit on me upon my meeting my wife on return. Too many raw emotions for most people.

I was a big fan of the original Blade Runner.  Saw the new version last Friday and walked away SMFH. It gets my award for worst movie of the year. Blood and stabbing for no reason, the obligatory nude scene, 2 men trying to kill each other then suggesting they get a drink instead, etc. I kept looking at my watch waiting for it to get to a good part.  The first 10 minutes of the movie are the best. Down hill from there.  Just plain stupid.

I watched the entire Vietnam series and could not wait for the next episode.  I was in high school during Vietnam and did not quite understand all what was happening.  The series was no less than excellent in tying the loose ends together of my questions.  

The draft board was breathing down my neck after they changed the rules for college deferment.  I was trying to get in med school and had to have several chemistry courses just prior to getting in.  I explained to the bitch at the draft board that I would have to repeat the courses if I got drafted. She replied "you say those are your plans but we do not know that."  The draft board only wanted bodies. They did not care how they got them.

I am not sure others can understand the feeling of helplessness of the government owning you for 2 years sending you to Vietnam to get your butt shot off for no reason and all the time lying saying we were fighting the Godless Communists. Meanwhile my friends are coming back deaf, without an arm or leg, or just plain shell shocked.  What best sums up the Vietnam series was a veteran saying "we were the last generation that believed what the government was saying".  The series proved over and over again how Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon were lying to the American public.

This is still raw with me.

I came of age during the Viet Nam war - didn't go because my lottery number was high, but it was a huge part of my consciousness for years. 

First off: Great thanks for all who served - you were not treated as well as you deserved, as patriots you served your country, not your fault that your country didn't serve you.

I have been watching the documentary, and it was very eye-opening about how the conflict originated with the French, and how we ended up getting dragged into it.  There is a lot of new information in the documentary, and I think it is so well done.  Too bad we can't make the infant-in-chief sit down and watch it before he does all of the same things over again.

As to Blade Runner:  The Director's Cut of the original is probably my favorite movie of all time.  I am a bit slow to see the sequel until the jury is in - I really don't want to be disappointed.  Thanks for your opinions, you are much of the jury.

28 minutes ago, BadBoy said:

As to Blade Runner:  The Director's Cut of the original is probably my favorite movie of all time.  I am a bit slow to see the sequel until the jury is in - I really don't want to be disappointed.  Thanks for your opinions, you are much of the jury.

I prefer the Director's Cut to the Final Cut, and the remastered version with enhanced quality is truly striking.  It's also my favorite movie.  I didn't realize Blade Runner 2049 was almost 3 hours, I never took my eyes off the screen.  Don't wait, go see it, you won't be disappointed.

28 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

Is the Vietnam War on Netflix? I meant to record it. 

It's on PBS. You should be able to watch online and or via cable

The movie We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson was a very graphic production about LZ X-Ray.

Blade runner was just bad good first 10 minutes good  then like hour and half where nothing happens.

7 hours ago, Slipo said:

Blade runner was just bad good first 10 minutes good  then like hour and half where nothing happens.

But so much happened and all along there were little clues as to what was going to happen in the end. No action really for long spurts but time reflective thought. 

I seen the new blade runner on Monday with a very good friend of mine.. she is actually very cool to hang out with. 

I was off the coast of Viet Nam on  the USS America, CVA 66. I was in an A7E squadron. Never got in country but did help launch the air support the other gentleman was talking about. I still get emotional from my experience and it was tame compared to the grunts. Haven't seen the series but will try to find it and watch.

Thanks for the heads up LK