Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkey600

How much do you share?

13 posts in this topic

You know, now days it seems that the norm is to post to Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and any other social media that I might have missed... All of one's personal life's biggest moments for the world to see and inspect...

Then, most people complain about stolen identities and being harassed on social media. I don't get this. (think equifax) And God what knows comes after that......

My question is simple.

Do you think social media is worth the problems it causes, or is it a liability?

I think I might know the answer... Thanks everyone for you're answers in advance.

52 minutes ago, sparkey600 said:

You know, now days it seems that the norm is to post to Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and any other social media that I might have missed... All of one's personal life's biggest moments for the world to see and inspect...

Then, most people complain about stolen identities and being harassed on social media. I don't get this. (think equifax) And God what knows comes after that......

My question is simple.

Do you think social media is worth the problems it causes, or is it a liability?

I think I might know the answer... Thanks everyone for you're answers in advance.

I only have facebook and myspace and use both primary to drum up business. Very very rarely put up anything about my personal life ,as with TOB,rather keep that private.  The only liability has been when friends talk politics. Rather amazing the amount of followers Omar (owner of Occupy Democrats ) has ,his political bigotry being more about hate than actual discussion. Outside of that,its been a pleasant experience on both.

People still use MySpace?! 😱 Mind Blown! 

I use Facebook only. I don't share too much bc I'm uber paranoid and my page is the most private you can get it. I only add real friends, and this helps keep me UTR, safer from identity theft (I think) and seem super boring. 

I am however considering a persona change for work and if I do pull the trigger on that I will be diving into the wonderful world of twitter w my new identity. I've just heard so many great things. (Thanks Luce) 😜

There are people who feel that FB is truly their group of friends and others who use it as just another communication platform. I won't even share what I share because I go to great lengths to keep my "hobby" life separate from my real life. I have lots of strong opinions that I'd like to put out there (such as the TakeAKnee thread), but I usually don't participate in those threads because I don't want any chance of someone tying my two lives together.

In person, on the other hand, you can barely shut me up. :D

Yes social media is worth it. Facebook mines your data like crazy but that's nothing new. Twitter is massive and doesn't require the info that Facebook tries to force you into. I haven't heard of that many people having their identities stolen via social media, I've seen people get doxxed for what they say on SM but that is sort of a different scenario. 

No one is forced to participate but it's helpful if you do. The other great thing about it is that you're not really forced to participate either. Many people join just to lurk. With the younger generation being more technically inclined SM becomes more important. They're the demographic that is being catered to and social media sites is where they hang out. 

The instantaneous nature of SM is pretty wild. You can know the news before the actual news can report it. 

21 hours ago, Lucy Kitten said:

No one is forced to participate but it's helpful if you do. The other great thing about it is that you're not really forced to participate either. Many people join just to lurk. With the younger generation being more technically inclined SM becomes more important. They're the demographic that is being catered to and social media sites is where they hang out.

The part that scares me is that people don't understand what they are a part of. People seem to think their SM platform is their little community--especially FB. The truth, though, is we are the product. The enormous amount of data you provide simply feeds into their vast database and helps them target ads very specifically to you. It's their entire business model: target ads to the people who are most likely to be interested in them and charge for that service. And it's not only the info we provide up front like birthday, gender, and location. Items we post, read and share share are an even bigger part of FB's algorithms. They claim they can target you after just a few posts.

I don't blame people for using a free and easy to use platform. I use them, but I'm careful about what I share. I just wish people were better informed.

MySpace...who rememeers that?

Facebook wants all your information so they can sell it to third parties and market products to you.

Twitter is a fun way to connect with people from all over the world.  Some chose to use twitter as a form of advertising.  You can chose how much information you want to share with twitter and put out on twitter.

Just remember, what you put on the internet is there forever....even if you delete it.

1 hour ago, daaacz said:

The part that scares me is that people don't understand what they are a part of. People seem to think their SM platform is their little community--especially FB. The truth, though, is we are the product. The enormous amount of data you provide simply feeds into their vast database and helps them target ads very specifically to you. It's their entire business model: target ads to the people who are most likely to be interested in them and charge for that service. And it's not only the info we provide up front like birthday, gender, and location. Items we post, read and share share are an even bigger part of FB's algorithms. They claim they can target you after just a few posts.

I don't blame people for using a free and easy to use platform. I use them, but I'm careful about what I share. I just wish people were better informed.

What are we sharing with social media that google doesn't already know about us? I ask seriously. I don't like the level of intrusion from FB but I also don't know really know what I'm sharing and with who anymore. Google Wallet knows my banking info but Facebook likes to identify people by their phone numbers. They both make me really uneasy.

I have pretty much abandoned Facebook, I don't like it but thankfully it really is useless when it comes to this industry. They have too many rules that keep anon adult accounts away which in turn saves us from some serious data mining. I can't deny that Twitter has it's faults but it's proven to be exceptionally useful. They also have like no rules. They have a few but really anything goes there. I don't feel like Twitter does to its users what Facebook does like filter content and restrict what you can see as to persuade. 

I'm hooked and I do encourage people to participate but I agree that people should be better informed in what ways and what information is shared. Some people still can't grasp how to actually use some of these sites. They don't understand that Twitter is open for all to see, people don't understand that anyone can see your shite reply to HuffPo and reply to it. It's a strange disconnect that people have with their online presence. They feel a sense of ownership over their little slice of the internet when that's just not true and that feeling of ownership leads to confidence that they somehow have control over this free service. So when privacy is violated people are confused it's only because they weren't really paying attention. 

I barely use facebook. Mostly to stay in touch with distant friends, and relatives. It's not connected to my "hobby" life.

I think social media can be very useful, but as Daaacz and Lucy mentioned. We need to inform ourselves, before we post.

I am happy to share opinions or other stories on SM. However, I do not share RW information. I have an "official fake b-day".....and " official fake everything else", but even then share only the minimum fake information required. SM is a useful tool, and in some business ways, almost necessary at this point. There is a huge difference however between USING it and TRUSTING it.

On 9/26/2017 at 0:24 PM, Lucy Kitten said:

What are we sharing with social media that google doesn't already know about us? I ask seriously.

It's similar, but different. Google targets you based on your searches and by your email communications and whatever other Google apps you use (remember, when you signed up you agreed to let them scan the contents of your emails to better target ads to you). Facebook uses the info you provide them combined with your posts, likes, and comments on their site. Again, they are using it to target ads to you.

Now here's the thing that bugs me. They share and sell YOUR DATA to whomever they want without any input from you. The EULA you agreed to by signing up allows them to do whatever they want with it. You don't know who is buying the data or what they are using it for and you can't find out. I still get freaked out when I search for something on Amazon and it shows up on a completely unrelated site. The extent of data being shared is amazing.

There's really nothing you can do for now, so it's a waste of energy to worry about it. Eventually, we'll have to reign it in so I watch my politicians and make sure they know how important my privacy is.