Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gr8owl

Can't Buy a Thrill

13 posts in this topic

RIP Walter Becker.  ( co-founder Steely Dan)

He will be missed.  Was there ever a more beautiful album or album cover...aja.jpg

Ahhhh - winter of '72

What a bummer. RIP  This was back when music about music, you could understand the words, the song told a story, and shows were not about hi-tech performance. Oh, and you could afford the tickets to see the band. 

Dave Hulubej,lead guitarist/composer/founder of Molly Hatchet died the same day as Walter Becker of Steely Dan.

I think Steely Dan was one of the best lyrics bands ever (music wasn't too bad either).  I often think of this old chestnut when I am with one of our younger young ladies.

1 hour ago, BadBoy said:

I think Steely Dan was one of the best lyrics bands ever (music wasn't too bad either).  I often think of this old chestnut when I am with one of our younger young ladies.

I cannot say they were my favorite, but I respected them big time for being truly unique and very creative.  There was always a lot going on in the lyrics. They made many people like jazz without knowing they had even heard jazz lol.  Plus extra credit must be given for naming themselves after a steam powered dildo!! :lol:

REALLY!!   I CANT BELIEVE IT.  One of my all time favorite bands with an incredible mastery of jazz, rock, r&b, blues   - at their height, would have as much as a 16 piece band.  they were masters at the inside joke and making fun of current topics and politics.  

6 hours ago, Audrey Astor said:

and shows were not about hi-tech performance. 

Amen sister! Big reason I listen to new music less and less: too many computers, auto-tuning, lip-syncing.

Steely Dan always had a great group of studio musicians on their tours. Zappa was another act that was the cream of the crop musicians. Real musicians actually playing instruments (saw them last at WhateverFiddlersGreenIsCalledNow back in 2003). Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers got his start with Steely Dan (he could play keyboards and hit the high notes vocally per liner notes for Donald Fagen's "New York Rock and Soul Revue" album [nice all-star album doing primarily covers, with a few Steely and Fagen songs thrown in, with Michael McDonald taking over the "where did you get those shoes" stanza on "Pretzel Logic").

As others have pointed out, great lyrics. And from a technical standpoint, some really odd twists. Key changes are one thing, but for example, on "Your Gold Teeth II", song drifts between 3/4, 3/8, 6/8, and 9/8 time. Yikes! For those that never played in their HS jazz band, tough to swing at 3/4 time as it is, but to throw in these time changes...

"The New York Times" obit is pretty good:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/arts/music/walter-becker-dead-steely-dan.html

Edit: saw SD in 2003, NOT Zappa (poorly structured paragraph and timed-out my edit time for cleanup purposes).

Aww, comeon!  Can't I get a single friggin "like" for posting a video of "Hey 19" as the memorial to Walter Becker on an ASP/john board?

3 hours ago, BadBoy said:

Aww, comeon!  Can't I get a single friggin "like" for posting a video of "Hey 19" as the memorial to Walter Becker on an ASP/john board?

Sorry! The thread isn't about you. It's about Walter Becker of Steely Dan. Thanks for posting about Walter! ;)