Lucy Kitten

Personal Websites

10 posts in this topic

Do you ladies have a website? If so, who is your host? Do you find it helps your business? 

Guys do you look at websites beyond pictures and contact info? I like Google analytics as it allows you to see what kind of traffic you have and what people look at on my site. 

In the past for websites I have relied on either capable friends or DIY sites like Webs. Currently using WordPress on a privately host but thinking it's time for something new. Looking through the WP themes I am not sure I like any of those themes. I really like Square Space offerings but they're not super friendly. I am thinking I might do the professional thing and pay someone to help. Where does one find help that isn't outrageously expensive and will do a good job with someone who has particular needs? There are a few providers that offer their services but they are damn expensive and their knowledge is limited in regards to my needs but if any of you ladies need websites there are providers out there that do a great job. 

I strongly recommend getting a website if you don't have one. They are beyond useful tools and help up the professional look. 

If you are considering hiring someone, I strongly suggest interviewing other clients that have used that individual's service. Did they complete the vision that was expected? Did they complete ON TIME? I personally will never pay an individual anything besides a SMALL deposit again until I see some results. I have been ripped off by a former provider who took my money, and then ghosted me (she was well respected). I have also received a site that was not at all what we discussed, was not completed within the time frame agreed upon, and then did not issue refunds additional services as promised due to their original failures. This has just been my experience. I probably could have avoided these issues by conducting more due diligence and being less trusting. 

You're right in that a good website really helps. I think the non-cookie cutter ones are way more attractive and professional. I hope you find a good designer, and have awesome results. :-)

I think a website can add more credibility to a provider.  The one thing I do notice is that a lot of them are neglected once they are put up, or information on the site doesn't match ToB or p411 info (rates especially).  I would recommend against having a 'blog' unless you really plan to keep it up - better to point to a twitter or instagram feed that requires less planning and involvement.  To Lucy's point the first things I look at are pics, then rates, then contact info.  I think it's been said before and I see a few providers mentioning their preferred contact method (it can be frustrating to send an email or text and not hear back for weeks - by then we've moved on). I also see providers have their rates only on their website and reference the site on ToB and p411.  If you do go the website route pay the extra $ (it's not much - 10.00 annually or something) to have contact info for the domain name private.  Otherwise name and address of primary contact are easily found.  Also stay on top of your registration - it can be a red flag if the site is down or a contact host if you are owner page is up.  Also if you decide to move onto a different vocation don't forget the site is out there with whatever you have on it.  I would be curious to know if any providers actually feel they are found through their website and not an ad board.  I would think it's probably more a place to steer clients to for info not on ad board.  I've seen some sites that I'm sure cost a pretty penny to put up and maintain and my gut is the return on investment is not very high.

I am a nerd and read the website and usually everything on it trying to get a feel for the personality of the YL. Of course pictures or videos are nice too! 😉 (IMO, enough to entice, but not too much.) I agree that most seem neglected, especially the blogs. Usually starts out with something like "I love writing and am so excited to be sharing lots of stuff with you. Come back often for updates." Then nothing else but crickets chirping. Links to Twitter and reviews or ad pages are nice, but insights greater than 120 characters would feed my nerdiness better and feeds my desire for context. I guess the bottom line is to decide if your website is just another ad venue or if you want to make it more personal and a reflection of something deeper. If it is an ad venue, check back every once in a while to make sure it is consistent with your ads. If it is more personal, take some time to make it who you are today because that changes over time. 

Edited by AnthointheAM
Typo

I too read most of a ladies website. I hope to get a clue of what's she's like...more than just the obvious visuals. I too feel it ads credibility to her. 

7 hours ago, SabrinaLynn said:

Sometimes I feel like i'm missing something when im creating a website!

Two set's of eyes are better than one.  Have someone you trust look at it, check to make sure all the links work and go where you expect them to go, read what you've wrote to make sure it makes sense, catch spelling errors, etc.  An editor is a good thing!

I don't really go to provider sites. Like others said. Lots of em ain't maintained. Might be 3 or 4 up for the same provider. Prices fluctuate higher than most of their ads on boards like this. And an application form (not looking for a job). Plus you never know if she actually monitors contacts from it. Might hear back 3 weeks later when out to dinner with friends from some random number asking if I'm still interested. No thanks to all that. 

I have a website, and I do my best to maintain it. Heck, you clients just reminded me that I have newer photos I need to upload. To me, I get a different set of clientele that truly want to know me when they have taken the time to peruse my site. It means they want to invest the time to get to know ME because it does reflect who I am. I do ask possible clients if they have read my ad, my site, and  my reviews because I hate to break this, but I spend $10 a day just on BP alone to post that I am available, and with that kind of money invested...I want someone who is really interested and not just putting another notch on their "hooker board". I have been there, done that...have the t-shirt. It is really telling when they actually do take their time. They are excited, willing to be screened, and end up being great. To me, when they walk into the unknown, it makes for an awkward first meet. It kind of goes hand in hand with quality vs. quantity.

I do understand and empathize with ladies that don't...keeping up with a site is hard to do when trying to find time. I do think some ladies don't feel this is something they are doing long term so they don't see the need. I know others that do just fine without it. Preference really comes into play here. We all do what we feel is best.

I will say that if you want to be known as an elite provider and show professionalism that it does seem to help in maintaining one as the clients seem to learn towards the ones that have a site with their information. This business is all about marketing and how you present yourself.

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

I like the sites that give more detail about likes/dislikes and perhaps even services available.  I also appreciate when they have more photos available or contact options.  I do find that they seem neglected much of the time.  If it's just a sight with the same photos and nothing else I don't personally find it adds any value. 

Lastly, I really don't like "members only" sections where I need to register to get access to content.