gnarley_boy12

DWAI, DUI Prevention

13 posts in this topic

For any of us who have a couple of drinks and want to make sure we are safe and do not end up in jail. I had not heard of this product from BACtrack. It is a breathalyzer that plugs into your cellphone. It is CDOT approved and a 20% discount is offered through September - discount code CDOT. In any case, very inexpensive for what it could save in the long run. For more info search The Boulder Daily Camera, commonly called The Boulder Shamera, website - Drunken driving.

Uber or Lyft. No need to ever risk the drive.

22 minutes ago, Laci French said:

I agree with you 100% but if someone is making the decision whether to drive or uber the device could be a useful tool.

But the police also do the monkey tests on the side of the road.  Is it calibrated the exact same as LE?  

I still stick by my Uber or Lyft...always.  Just keeps everyone safe without question.

Once your life has been impacted by a drunk driver it leaves you feeling zero tolerance for stupidity.  My friend would be alive today raising her daughter if a grown ass adult would've made a better decision before heading out drinking.

Edited by Laci French

30 minutes ago, Laci French said:

But the police also do the monkey tests on the side of the road.  Is it calibrated the exact same as LE?  

I still stick by my Uber or Lyft...always.  Just keeps everyone safe without question.

Once your life has been impacted by a drunk driver it leaves you feeling zero tolerance for stupidity.  My friend would be alive today raising her daughter if a grown ass adult would've made a better decision before heading out drinking.

Again I agree with you. It is calibrated the exact same as LE although, according to the website it has to be recalibrated every six months.

Laci is right, Uber, Lyft, a cab is the way to go. Why would you want to risk someone else's life or your own when there is a safe reasonably priced option out there?

23 minutes ago, comfortseeker said:

Laci is right, Uber, Lyft, a cab is the way to go. Why would you want to risk someone else's life or your own when there is a safe reasonably priced option out there?

The reason why I posted this the information about BACtrack was to keep people from driving drunk, not encourage it.  It can be offered for use by friends. If you have a friend that you think should not be driving it can be used by others. I will not comment anymore. I was just trying to be helpful!!

3 hours ago, Laci French said:

Really why risk it. Olgunn started moonlighting lyft for that reason. Always happy to give a lovely lady a ride. :D I mean lyft. (Or a ride too)

8 minutes ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

I will not comment anymore. I was just trying to be helpful!!

Better take g**d*** uber or a taxi on your way back to your room! :-) 

Took a look at the website for this thing, and going to go with Uber/Lyft/cab/RTD option(s).

https://www.bactrack.com/products/bactrack-vio-smartphone-keychain-breathalyzer

The total cost of ownership adds up: price of device, occasional calibration ($20, and need to ship unit back to manufacturer), new tips. Will need a ride to get your car in the morning, so if can't get a friend to drive you, back to the cost of Uber/Lyft/cab/RTD.

Need to remember to bring it with you. If you leave it in your car, and cop sees you in the car blowing into the thing, can get nabbed at that point for DUI (just the fact of opening the car door and getting in with the keys is considered operating the vehicle). And of course, need to have your cellphone and charged.

Plus, it's not really rocket science: you have two drinks, you're probably at 0.04 and will get popped.

Big concern: data privacy. They state do what you want with results, but I don't see anywhere on their site re: what is being phoned-home to the company, how stored on device, password protected, etc. Not keen, even with stellar data security, to have that information on my device (old computer adage that basically goes as "if it's a computer and usable, it's vulnerable").

2 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

The reason why I posted this the information about BACtrack was to keep people from driving drunk, not encourage it.  It can be offered for use by friends. If you have a friend that you think should not be driving it can be used by others. I will not comment anymore. I was just trying to be helpful!!

I understand your intention. Devices such as these have been out for years. My point is simple, if you are going to drink (or use) plan on an alternative method of transportation. People lose when they believe they are OK.

i will never understand, if you go out knowing your gonna drink then get a ride there and back,  never take your your car to a bar and expect to make the right decision. 

10 hours ago, gnarley_boy12 said:

For any of us who have a couple of drinks and want to make sure we are safe and do not end up in jail. I had not heard of this product from BACtrack. It is a breathalyzer that plugs into your cellphone. It is CDOT approved and a 20% discount is offered through September - discount code CDOT. In any case, very inexpensive for what it could save in the long run. For more info search The Boulder Daily Camera, commonly called The Boulder Shamera, website - Drunken driving.

I wouldn't even ride with somebody that can think of the possibility that it's okay for them to drive after even one drink..

When are these people that drink and drive going to learn it's never the drunk driver that gets injured!! it's always the Innocents they get killed and maimed.

And the sad thing is that statistics show that it takes 8O-95 times for one drunk driver just to get caught on One DUI !!!!

I was in a severe car accident because of a drunk driver as a teenager and again in TX in my 20's.

A car accident takes away from your normal life.. it took me a year plus just to get back on track with bills, my job ect ect. Not to mention the sound of the accidents will never leave my brain :(

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!. EVER!