Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
decafnaetd

My favorite grammatical error

24 posts in this topic

I always enjoy reading a review where someone has typed "defiantly" rather than "definitely."

"She defiantly performed all acts with enthusiasm!"

"I'll defiantly see her again!"

"Defiantly my new atf!"

Hahahahaha! There's way too much defiance in this sport!

4 hours ago, stevie-2249 said:

have you seen your name is spelled lately? 

I'm guessing you meant "have you seen how your name is spelled lately?" 

stevie critisizing spelling or grammer has to be the pinnacle of irony! LOL! :lol:

I've often wondered if "defiantly" happens due to mistyping and auto-correct. I find it humorous as well. 

No, pfunk, I think people truly think that definitely is spelled "defiantly" even though it doesn't phonetically make sense. 

I'm not a grammar nazi so to speak but this error makes me cringe every time. It can even be a turn off. 

18 hours ago, pfunk said:

I'm guessing you meant "have you seen how your name is spelled lately?" 

stevie critisizing spelling or grammer has to be the pinnacle of irony! LOL! :lol:

I've often wondered if "defiantly" happens due to mistyping and auto-correct. I find it humorous as well. 

I'm guessing you meant "criticizing" and "grammar"

of late, I like "no bear back".  What?  The guy has too much hair on his back and he is gone??

there is the classic "I am discrete" Sooooo not a Siamese twin?? Damn!!

3 hours ago, Jakeryan said:

You're right, I did.

6 hours ago, gr8owl said:

of late, I like "no bear back".  What?  The guy has too much hair on his back and he is gone??

there is the classic "I am discrete" Sooooo not a Siamese twin?? Damn!!

Oh so that's why people say that isn't safe - the bear might roll over on you and crush you!

Not exactly a grammar nazi either but "they're" "there" and "their" seem to be commonly misused words also. I defiantly proclaim that I will definitely misuse those commonly misspelled words in the open. There, I said it! Now hopefully they're reading this with their grammar and spelling filters in the "on" position.

Also try Peaked, Piqued and Peeked...

I peeked over the dash of the 4 X 4 to determine whether the storm surge had peaked all the while noticing if I'd piqued the interest of my passenger with my defensive driving prowess during the downpour of the storm.

22 hours ago, Jakeryan said:

Oh it's on.

10 hours ago, Johnny Tsunami said:

Also try Peaked, Piqued and Peeked...

I peeked over the dash of the 4 X 4 to determine whether the storm surge had peaked all the while noticing if I'd piqued the interest of my passenger with my defensive driving prowess during the downpour of the storm.

https://theotherboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37286-is-it-rude-to-ask-a-provider-to-point-you-towards-her-reviews/&do=findComment&comment=382698

I try not to poke fun uv peeples gramer. Az long az I can un'stand what they sayz, I gess I don' care.

Not everyone is an English Major. I know I'm far from perfect, especially with grammar.

But funny post, thanks for a good chuckle.

move by steel. move by craft.

I saw an ad a few years ago that said (among other things), "I am a low tragic provider."

I assume that she meant "low traffic" and autocorrect was to blame, but I did like the idea of a provider who minimized tragedy in her work.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:50 PM, decafnaetd said:

I always enjoy reading a review where someone has typed "defiantly" rather than "definitely."

"She defiantly performed all acts with enthusiasm!"

"I'll defiantly see her again!"

"Defiantly my new atf!"

Hahahahaha! There's way too much defiance in this sport!

Well...I MUST say...I think your humorous view on this defines logic.....:D

"Discrete" is nails on a chalkboard to me, and I see it everywhere.

1 hour ago, FireKitten said:

Yes I agree it's an overused adjective. 

Interesting.....This made me look up discrete and found that maybe we mean we need to be discreet?? I know, grammar nazi but I didn't know that I was supposed to be discreet not discrete in my behavior???  Discreet?

My favorite part about this is that grammar and spelling are two different things. Is that irony? That's another one of those frequently misused words. 

"How is you?" is an example of bad grammar "you defiantly should come over right now" is bad spelling.  I keep an old English textbook around for when I am really confused by the rules. 

19 hours ago, FireKitten said:

I actually learned something new. I realized I suppose that they were two separate words and have seen them both in print but neither is a word I use often and would have likely confused them too. 

Bad grammar irks me, but I've been messed up by auto correct or just miss typing enough that I don't generally criticise spelling. One word that amuses me in some ads is prostrate instead of prostate.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:08 AM, Lucy Kitten said:

I actually learned something new. I realized I suppose that they were two separate words and have seen them both in print but neither is a word I use often and would have likely confused them too. 

"discrete" was frequently used in my former profession. 

On 9/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Bit Banger said:

"discrete" was frequently used in my former profession. 

Math related I presume.