Eclipse...

56 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone one was going to view this?.... If so please take pics💋

I hope everyone makes a plan to see the eclipse because there is so much more to life than watching it on the news.

0ver 90% here might go to Wyoming but not where the crowds are  

WHEN IS THIS AGAIN 🤣🤣 sometimes I'm so clueless on the good world events .. seems like all I see is Donald trump 😫

56 minutes ago, Mr Purple said:

Got my glasses- I am ready !

Where can I pick them up at?

Grease Monkey had them at one time... Free

If you watch ch. 9 at 4 PM, they will announce the single location where they will be giving them out.

But you have to be "johnny on the spot" as their supplies are limited. One pair to a person.

I saw on the web this morning  (therefore it must be true) that some say to view the eclipse will be the largest human migration in history.

DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN WITHOUT PROPER FILTERS!

Signature

As others have mentioned, pretty much everyone is out-of-stock of the eclipse glasses. I got a pair back in 2012 for the annular eclipse. And also bought a sheet of the film that is in the glasses via Amazon in 2014 for that year's partial eclipse (for camera lenses). The Amazon route for the film might be a very long shot on getting it delivered on time, but doubt it will make it.

Old school method: pin-hole viewing. Did this many years ago as a kid with a large cardboard box that I put over my head and sheet of white paper glued opposite of the pinhole.

How to View the Total Solar Eclipse Without Glasses | WIRED

http://thiswestcoastmommy.com/make-diy-box-pinhole-projector/

Edited by NoCoGeezer

9 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

As others have mentioned, pretty much everyone is out-of-stock of the eclipse glasses. I got a pair back in 2012 for the annular eclipse. And also bought a sheet of the film that is in the glasses via Amazon in 2014 for that year's partial eclipse (for camera lenses). The Amazon route for the film might be a very long shot on getting it delivered on time, but doubt it will make it.

Old school method: pin-hole viewing. Did this many years ago as a kid with a large cardboard box that I put over my head and sheet of white paper glued opposite of the pinhole.

How to View the Total Solar Eclipse Without Glasses | WIRED

http://thiswestcoastmommy.com/make-diy-box-pinhole-projector/

Yep that's how I'm viewing it...old school...I remember the one in 79 because my dad worked for NASA and we got to see it. Even though I was 4 I still remember it. All the kids made boxes and it worked fine. 

Still if you can't do that and you can't find glasses, several news outlets will be broadcasting it live. 

Find a welding supply store and ask for #15 welding glass. Surprisingly inexpensive for a 1.5"x4" piece $3-$4. You'll be able to look at the sun during all the phases of the eclipse through that without hurting your eyeballs.

5 hours ago, decafnaetd said:

Find a welding supply store and ask for #15 welding glass. Surprisingly inexpensive for a 1.5"x4" piece $3-$4. You'll be able to look at the sun during all the phases of the eclipse through that without hurting your eyeballs.

Just a heads up; Amazon has issued a recall on some solar eclipse glasses Retailer warns buyers of some unverified glasses not to use them.

Amazon said it issued the recall over concerns with the quality of the glasses.https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-reportedly-issues-recall-on-some-solar-eclipse-glasses/

"Safety is among our highest priorities. Out of an abundance of caution, we have proactively reached out to customers and provided refunds for eclipse glasses that may not comply with industry standards," Amazon said in a statement. " We want customers to buy with confidence anytime they make a purchase on Amazon.com and eclipse glasses sold on Amazon.com are required to comply with the relevant ISO standard."

Only glasses that meet the international ISO 12312-2 standard are safe to use during the eclipse. Look for that number on your glasses to be sure.

081916-Great-American-Eclipse.jpg

usa-map-august-2017-eclipse.gif

I'm thinking about trying to view it through my welding hood.. I wonder if that will be safe or not??  I can adjust the shade to whatever I need 

Edited by Juanmotai
Misspelled words

hey everyone, first time poster, long time lurker...so hello!

cheap and easy way to see the eclipse:  https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/

or google pinhole camera as there are plenty of options from simple to fancy all easy to make.

cheers,

Winston

p.s. dunno about welding goggles, google it as the cost of a using the wrong protection seems pretty high to me.

I think the Welding idea on Monday morning August 21st has Budding Possibilities.....

pi%C4%99kna-u%C5%9Bmiechni%C4%99ta-blond

Here's a Link Mentions welding glass:: How to Tell If Your Eclipse Glasses or Handheld Solar Viewers Are Safe

What to Avoid

Ordinary sunglasses (or multiple pairs of sunglasses), neutral density or polarizing filters (such as those made for camera lenses), smoked glass, photographic or X-ray film (unexposed, exposed, or developed), "space blankets," potato-chip bags, DVDs, and any other materials you may have heard about for solar viewing are not safe. In some cases these homemade filters may seem like they dim the Sun to a comfortable level, but that doesn't mean they do so across the whole electromagnetic spectrum. While you're enjoying a "comfortable" view of the "dim" Sun, solar infrared radiation could be cooking your retinas. And you wouldn't know till later, because your retinas don't have pain receptors. Only after the eclipse, when you notice blind spots or other vision problems, would you realize you'd made a catastrophic mistake.

What about welding filters? The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. In any case, welding filters generally give a sickly green image of the Sun, whereas special-purpose solar viewers give a white, yellow, or orange image, which is much more pleasing and natural. If you really want to get a welding filter, we recommend that you buy it from a welding supply company; we've heard reports of people ordering "Shade 14" welding goggles from random online stores and receiving much lighter filters than they were promised. Our Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of filters made exclusively for viewing the Sun.

10 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Yep that's how I'm viewing it...old school...I remember the one in 79 because my dad worked for NASA and we got to see it. Even though I was 4 I still remember it. All the kids made boxes and it worked fine. 

Still if you can't do that and you can't find glasses, several news outlets will be broadcasting it live. 

41 you say......:cool:

19 hours ago, Savanah3333 said:

WHEN IS THIS AGAIN 🤣🤣 sometimes I'm so clueless on the good world events .. seems like all I see is Donald trump 😫

Monday

10 hours ago, Juanmotai said:

I'm thinking about trying to view it through my welding hood.. I wonder if that will be safe or not??  I can adjust the shade to whatever I need 

have a spare???

11 hours ago, Kaduk said:

41 you say......:cool:

Yeah, no, 42...gosh where does time go

DIA will be handing out glasses and moonpies on Monday.

I've used the lenses from a welding hood, that a welding supply house sells in the past.

I can't guarantee it, but for a quick glance, I feel safe using a welding hood.

Edited by ilovewomen

Hey just an FYI that nobody has mentioned yet. 

Keep your pets inside if you can. Our eyes are not the only ones that can be affected. I took my dogs to the vet yesterday to get their nails trimmed and my vet made a special point to keep them inside. 

44 minutes ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Keep your pets inside if you can. Our eyes are not the only ones that can be affected. I took my dogs to the vet yesterday to get their nails trimmed and my vet made a special point to keep them inside. 

Interesting! Good idea. 

1 hour ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Very good idea.  Even the media hasn't mentioned this.

I think I'm going to sit this one out - me & the cat inside w/the blinds drawn. I was supposed be driving back from mtns (NNW of FtC) at the peak; moved that up a day. Traffic coming up to the mtns this afternoon was TERRIBLE.

I still remember one in NY (60's). The birds were all confused. Evening songs, then an hour later, morning songs.  I much prefer the full eclipse of a blood moon. Don't need anything more than an alarm clock.  

6 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Please tell me this is a joke.   Bringing in your animals because you fear them looking at the sun?  Why aren't they blind  from looking at the sun before the eclipse?  SMFH.

47 minutes ago, inkspot said:

Please tell me this is a joke.   Bringing in your animals because you fear them looking at the sun?  Why aren't they blind  from looking at the sun before the eclipse?  SMFH.

The same reason we aren't? The thing is, we can't communicate with them not to look at it during that time. Most people have dogs, whose eyes are structurally similar to ours but because they can see better in the dark, I think their rods are bigger. Making them more vulnerable... 

Were you being serious? 

I have to agree with Mellisa. Besides, what would it hurt to protect your pets?