Burning Man

23 posts in this topic

Ok so I've been hearing about this "Burning Man".... Is anyone going to this?.... And what is it about?

Burning man happens in the Northern Nevada Desert.  It's a festival centered around they set up a huge wooden man and burn it.  They entire thing is a very hippy, drugged out weekend of raving, partying, free love, and craziness.  The festival atmosphere includes art exhibits, no shade, too much sun/heat, no showers/water, and camping outside.  One I remember was a huge rat-maze made for humans that took me hours to get out of.   People dress up (if they wear clothes) in costumes like Halloween and just get BONKERS in the desert.

Oh, the memories, lol.  I use to live near Tahoe which is sorta-close and have been twice.  Both weekends were something I'll never forget, and would never do again.  LMAO.  Just not really my scene. 

Yeah....I was thinking about going but not if it's like that.   

Do a search on YouTube! Burning man is different for everyone or so I'm told. Watch the videos and then decide. But it is out in the middle of the desert, giant party, and a bunch of people on drugs. 

Today is the 48th anniversary of Woodstock.  It was hell of a party...and I missed it.  Parent's thought I was too young to go even though I was being drafted into the army a month after that.

Even though it's a free love hippy type festival, it's not exactly cheap, nor do I think it's something you can just think about going to last minute (unless you got someone on the inside).

http://tickets.burningman.org/

I hope to go one day and sunburn my butt because burn is all my skin seems to know!

20 minutes ago, JAGCS said:

I hope to ...one day... sunburn my butt because burn is all my skin seems to know!

I can tell you of cheaper & closer places to burn your butt (and other parts) 😜

44 minutes ago, JAGCS said:

Even though it's a free love hippy type festival, it's not exactly cheap, nor do I think it's something you can just think about going to last minute (unless you got someone on the inside).

4 hours ago, Melissa Sterling said:

Do a search on YouTube! Burning man is different for everyone or so I'm told. Watch the videos and then decide. But it is out in the middle of the desert, giant party, and a bunch of people on drugs. 

This.

It started out hippie-ish in that say, you are an EMT, you get to the front of the list as they want you to help out with any medical assistance. Started out as a communal atmosphere, every helps out, shares, etc. Now, some folks are complaining that some of the sections have become VIP areas with guards/bouncers. More Coachella and their Hollywood crowd than what it all started out as.

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/27/why_the_rich_love_burning_man_partner/

http://valleywag.gawker.com/rich-pricks-ruined-burning-man-again-1624964168

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/burners-slam-burning-man-rich-kids-whining-after-their-billionaire-funded-campsite-was-vandalized/

Also seem to recall that Burning Man is setup so that once you are there, you are there for the duration. No escape until over, and middle of the desert, so, nothing there to escape to.

I lived in Reno for 8 years in the early 90's and went and checked it out in about 95 or 96, and it wasn't as big as it is now. back then it came across as a bunch of hippies lids trying to create Woodstock with out the bands in the middle of a dry lake in the desert. more of a psychedelic event lots of [Snip}

Great people watching for sure, [snip] the one thing that stood out was back then there was no way to shower, kinda funny every one wanted to escape modern society, but wanted a shower so bad, i wish I would i have rented a tanker full of water and sold showers

From what i understand now it's more commercial with bands  some vendors showers etc and i think there is a charge to get it which is kinda funny it's held on BLM land in the black rock desert.

Photographer Scott London has some great photo's he has been stopping by there for like the past 10 yrs, and has a bunch of cool pic's on his web site

Interesting....well....if I had a camper with lots of water I'd think about going....minus the drugs of course💋

22 hours ago, engineer said:

Burning man happens in the Northern Nevada Desert.  It's a festival centered around they set up a huge wooden man and burn it.  They entire thing is a very hippy, drugged out weekend of raving, partying, free love, and craziness.  The festival atmosphere includes art exhibits, no shade, too much sun/heat, no showers/water, and camping outside.  One I remember was a huge rat-maze made for humans that took me hours to get out of.   People dress up (if they wear clothes) in costumes like Halloween and just get BONKERS in the desert.

Oh, the memories, lol.  I use to live near Tahoe which is sorta-close and have been twice.  Both weekends were something I'll never forget, and would never do again.  LMAO.  Just not really my scene. 

Sounds like some kind of witch-like satanic ritual 🤔 Kind of creepy, lol. But hey, I can't knock anyone else's hobby 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

I've never been, but I'd totally go! Just for the experience. Definitely have a motor home though. I would get a kick out of people watching. But seriously, go on YouTube. There was one older guy who went and he documented his trip. It's a cool perspective and well in the comfort of your own home. I don't think there's any devil worshippers. The "burning man" is different every year and not necessarily a man. It's supposed to be a real emotional experience for some people. 

To me Burning Man is pretty pagan in nature. Not Satanic. Although in my oppinion everything is about intentions. If you chose to make something evil and dark in your mind? That is what it will become. Do the research learn for yourself. From what you learn you can draw your own conclusions on anything and everything in life. 

9 minutes ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

To me Burning Man is pretty pagan in nature. Not Satanic. Although in my oppinion everything is about intentions. If you chose to make something evil and dark in your mind? That is what it will become. Do the research learn for yourself. From what you learn you can draw your own conclusions on anything and everything in life. 

+1

You are absolutely right! 

Edited by Cali Rose

Sounds like something I should've done in my 20's😂

My nephew went there about 3-4 years ago.  He wants to go again.

I think it could be a ton of fun.

Going to Burning Man without knowing what it is would be analogous to going to the Super Bowl without ever having seen an NFL game on TV.

There are lots of local and regional burns which are the preseason, regular season, and playoffs of burns if you will. Colorado's biggest burn is Apogaea in June. Denver Burners organize local events. I might suggest you start there.

It is an interesting counterculture. I cannot speak for nor describe it well. Maybe a weekend high/drunk/free love camping trip where everyone is equal and money does not exist. Bacon and showers become the currency of the realm.

1 minute ago, Kinkster said:

Going to Burning Man without knowing what it is would be analogous to going to the Super Bowl without ever having seen an NFL game on TV.

There are lots of local and regional burns which are the preseason, regular season, and playoffs of burns if you will. Colorado's biggest burn is Apogaea in June. Denver Burners organize local events. I might suggest you start there.

It is an interesting counterculture. I cannot speak for nor describe it well. Maybe a weekend high/drunk/free love camping trip where everyone is equal and money does not exist. Bacon and showers become the currency of the realm.

Love the DRUNK/Drug free part especially....hopefully drama free too💦💋😂

1 hour ago, Bella Marie said:

Love the DRUNK/Drug free part especially....hopefully drama free too💦💋😂

Drama is about intentions. Think about the Fool card in tarot. "Beginners mind" there is also a Burning man festival in Santa Dr too. From my heart I am wishing you the very best in life. Where ever you path may take you in life. Remember, "Begginners mind"! Open and honest aim your arrow on your target. You will never miss. At least not intentionally! 

1 minute ago, Kali Sensual Reiki said:

Drama is about intentions. Think about the Fool card in tarot. "Beginners mind" there is also a Burning man festival in Santa Dr too. From my heart I am wishing you the very best in life. Where ever you path may take you in life. Remember, "Begginners mind"! Open and honest aim your arrow on your target. You will never miss. At least not intentionally! 

Thanks....you too