Bootsce

What to do in Boulder?

24 posts in this topic

Anyone in have suggestions about fun things to do in Boulder tonight?  PM me with suggestions 

cheers

I used to throw darts up there, years ago. 

2 hours ago, fred1964 said:

Stay away

+1 The best thing I have ever done in Boulder was leave.

Or you can instantly be on a mountain hike. It is literally a matter of minutes to get to one of several in the area. 

If you mountain bike there's several trails and a bike park. 

Several breweries are walking distance from each other. 

The farmer's market is fun if that's your thing.

Great places to eat.

Go to concert.

See a play at the Dairy Center.

Walk the Pearl St Mall and then hit the strip club on the mall after going to the Biergarten.

Go tubing.

Most anything you want to do outside you can easily do. And most activities here will cater to that desire. Or go to the indoor rock climbing wall. 

There is pretentiousness about it but to me it's no different than any other city around. I think if you only want to see the negative and be bored you easily can. 

1 hour ago, JoDoe27 said:

Or you can instantly be on a mountain hike. It is literally a matter of minutes to get to one of several in the area. 

If you mountain bike there's several trails and a bike park. 

Several breweries are walking distance from each other. 

The farmer's market is fun if that's your thing.

Great places to eat.

Go to concert.

See a play at the Dairy Center.

Walk the Pearl St Mall and then hit the strip club on the mall after going to the Biergarten.

Go tubing.

Most anything you want to do outside you can easily do. And most activities here will cater to that desire. Or go to the indoor rock climbing wall. 

There is pretentiousness about it but to me it's no different than any other city around. I think if you only want to see the negative and be bored you easily can. 

This really is the sunny side of life!!

Back in the 80's used to party on the Hill or the Pearl Street Mall, do not know what is like nowadays.

Mostly University Police cracked down on the block parties in the early 90's. Too many rentals with couches on their front porch ended up getting lit on fire.

A friend of a friend (fighting the urge to quote darth helmet here) got caught up in one of the block parties/ AKA riots and ended up getting expelled from CU, losing his scholarship, and getting put on house arrest for the better part of a year.  Even when I was young I knew well enough to stay away from the hill at the time.

This was about the same time Boulder PD couldn't solve the Ramsey murder, so they had a black eye from that mess and tried to tighten down on the hill with University Police in support. Probably messing up the details here as it's been almost 20 years.

On the bright side... when I did attend CU I loved the campus. the quad as it was called between Helems, Old main, the Library and one other building (which escapes me) was always a great place to people watch.

Great places to go in Boulder:

Salvagio's Deli off Pearl, great subs...(if it's still there)

Mt Sanitas - Quick 2 hr hike, drive up mapleton past the old BMC and you'll see the trail head. if you are lucky you can park there or you might have to park up the street a bit. but once you hike to the peak which is not too difficult but not too easy either, you have a beautiful view of the entire city. yoiu can see as far north as Longmont, and into Denver. The Hike back down is an easy switchback type that leads to a maintenance road. Great for a good 2 hr distraction but not difficult.

Eldorado Springs to the south has a great trail head with some easy hikes too. (and a hot springs near by if it's still open)  Of course if you want a scenic hike, the Mesa Trail will take you from Eldorado Springs to NCAR to Chautauqua Park. not long, about 6 miles... but go with someone, park one car at the Eldorado Springs Trail head, drive to Chautauqua Park, do the hike, head back into town, get a bear at Southern Sun off Broadway, or hit Old Chicago off Pearl St. see some street performers and be entertained. I certainly hope they are still there.

Lots to avoid in Boulder, but it still has a lot to offer.

Re: Farmer's Market. If you go early, it's OK, but does get overwhelmed with strollers and dogs clogging things up (ie. Can't move easily). Some joke that it's nothing but kale stands. Big fan of the Ella's Farm stand in late summer: apple varieties you do not see in any stores (eg. Arlet aka Swiss Gourmet is a favorite) and Black Cat as they have different/unique greens vs other stands.

Re: Salvaggio's, the Mall location is there (14th & Pearl) as well as the Pearl & 27th. It's ok since their meats are Boar's Head, bread is top notch, but still just a sandwich shop, imo. Nothing special. Have not been in their since the following event:

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/04/19/boulder-deli-owner-john-salvaggio-arrested-in-domestic-violence-incident/

Add re: Salvaggio's, seem to recall seeing a location on The Hill, same strip mall as Santiago's and Dot's Diner.

I didn't know about the domestic issue. All I remember from the place was two sizes. One on a bun style roll and the other your typical sub style.

Just remember the Italian being so damn good, and the people working there had a good brash sort of 'atitude' encouraging you to know your order before stepping up. All in good fun. Half my memory os about the food, half about the people who worked there.

But that was at least 15 years ago... 

I'm personally a fan of the Biergarten comedy night on Sundays. 

How about sign up for some quantum physics or calculus classses at CU

On 7/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, scars&staples said:

Mostly University Police cracked down on the block parties in the early 90's. Too many rentals with couches on their front porch ended up getting lit on fire.

A friend of a friend (fighting the urge to quote darth helmet here) got caught up in one of the block parties/ AKA riots and ended up getting expelled from CU, losing his scholarship, and getting put on house arrest for the better part of a year.  Even when I was young I knew well enough to stay away from the hill at the time.

This was about the same time Boulder PD couldn't solve the Ramsey murder, so they had a black eye from that mess and tried to tighten down on the hill with University Police in support. Probably messing up the details here as it's been almost 20 years.

On the bright side... when I did attend CU I loved the campus. the quad as it was called between Helems, Old main, the Library and one other building (which escapes me) was always a great place to people watch.

Great places to go in Boulder:

Salvagio's Deli off Pearl, great subs...(if it's still there)

Mt Sanitas - Quick 2 hr hike, drive up mapleton past the old BMC and you'll see the trail head. if you are lucky you can park there or you might have to park up the street a bit. but once you hike to the peak which is not too difficult but not too easy either, you have a beautiful view of the entire city. yoiu can see as far north as Longmont, and into Denver. The Hike back down is an easy switchback type that leads to a maintenance road. Great for a good 2 hr distraction but not difficult.

Eldorado Springs to the south has a great trail head with some easy hikes too. (and a hot springs near by if it's still open)  Of course if you want a scenic hike, the Mesa Trail will take you from Eldorado Springs to NCAR to Chautauqua Park. not long, about 6 miles... but go with someone, park one car at the Eldorado Springs Trail head, drive to Chautauqua Park, do the hike, head back into town, get a bear at Southern Sun off Broadway, or hit Old Chicago off Pearl St. see some street performers and be entertained. I certainly hope they are still there.

Lots to avoid in Boulder, but it still has a lot to offer.

FAIL. Police did not end the parties in Boulder. CU is still an unbeleivable football/Party school. Whether it is their 1991 championship season or 2017. Nobody is walking into random house parties and expect to just stroll in. 

Also the places you named are no longer there. Maybe you should visit Boulder first and then give advice. 

4 hours ago, Skg said:

How about sign up for some quantum physics or calculus classses at CU

Oh, sure, you're joking, but, not far off in reality.

Not correct time of year, but, Conference of World Affairs is good, as well as the Gamow lecture. And both free.

Shakespeare  fest is going on:

https://cupresents.org/series/shakespeare-festival/

On 7/19/2017 at 8:01 PM, boink36 said:

I have lived and worked here the better part of my life and now that I have retired and have the time to look around and observe closely where I live I find myself in agreement with Mr Boink, I think I need to leave.  

I humbly admit when I'm wrong so I"ll clarify. it wasn't the early 90's but late 90s.. I'll never deny that CU is party town USA with one hell of a great college atmosphere. That's undeniable!! I never said house parties didn't happen, because that's ridiculous and counter to the reputation that CU has gotten over the years. I specifically said block parties, AKA Riots.. Specifically the 1997 Riots while I was attending classes.  Specifically students dragging couches out into the middle of the street and lighting them on fire..

Now obviously 20 years and my memory may lapse but video doesn't lie.. Not exactly a bright spot, but hey, every city has it's bumps and bruises.

That being said, Boulder does have that perfect balance between urban development and respecting nature. 

As for locations that are no longer there... Old Chicago closed down off Pearl ST you got me..

However, Southern Sun is off Broadway just south of Table Mesa Dr. http://www.mountainsunpub.com/contact.htm

According Salvaggio's Deli, the location I was referring to is still there. http://www.salvaggiosdeli.us/

The trails are still there, NCAR is still there..  https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/mount-sanitas-trailhead

beyond the above, Boulder has a lot to offer, and is worth the gas to drive there from Denver.

What to do in Boulder at night?  Hmm, quick search: Dakini Dawn, Tori, Zoey, CallieVane, Amy of Boulder.  Need I go on?

On 7/23/2017 at 7:41 AM, Violet Lovely said:

I'm personally a fan of the Biergarten comedy night on Sundays. 

Have not been down that block of late, but, sounds like it is closing: story in today's "Camera" about Post (the fried chicken and beer place in Lafayette, Longmont, Denver) is moving into same address as Biergarten.

6 minutes ago, NoCoGeezer said:

Have not been down that block of late, but, sounds like it is closing: story in today's "Camera" about Post (the fried chicken and beer place in Lafayette, Longmont, Denver) is moving into same address as Biergarten.

The Biergarten isn't closing. Shine, the brewery next door, is actually relocating to a smaller facility and The Post is moving into Shine's old spot.

Edited by JoDoe27

7 hours ago, JoDoe27 said:

The Biergarten isn't closing. Shine, the brewery next door, is actually relocating to a smaller facility and The Post is moving into Shine's old spot.

Whew! Oh good!! 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:01 PM, boink36 said:

Agree.

BTW, this is a flat-out ironic post (lol).

Edited by N6_in_the_village

15 hours ago, N6_in_the_village said:

Agree.

BTW, this is a flat-out ironic post (lol).

Glad I moved on, It's truly a beautiful city... but damn am I glad I live in a different zip code...