HollyMarie

What's something that's unique to Colorado?

42 posts in this topic

I'm packing up my gear to head to Colorado and make it my second home. What is something that is unique to Colorado that I would not be able to experience in Texas? I already have the CSU game on my list and a beer & whiskey tour, what's your favorite part? 

You can drive to the top of Pike's Peak and get donuts.

3 minutes ago, FuriousWeasel said:

You can drive to the top of Pike's Peak and get donuts.

I do love a good donut, sweets are my guilty pleasure...among other things. 

Is there a donut you would recommend? 

1 minute ago, fred1964 said:

sun and fun

300 days plus a year of sunlight. Some of the best skiing in the world period. Cheyenne Mountain, Leadville, Fishing (We rival the biggest Pike and Lakers in North America), an economy that's killin it, 90 degree days, but 60 degree nights, the Rocky Mountains, Rocky Mountain Oysters, Central City, Ouray to Telluride via one of the most harrowing 4 wheel drive trails you'll  ever do, Boulder (Nah Sorry on That One), I'm a native worked in Boulder for 20 years, you can have it, hunting, prospecting, cycling (rode by bicycle from 55th and Federal to Grand Lake), 108 miles and 8.5 hours on the seat, Indian Ruins, some of the best Mex around. Actually we're still a cow town, good luck :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, fishndude57 said:

300 days plus a year of sunlight. Some of the best skiing in the world period. Cheyenne Mountain, Leadville, Fishing (We rival the biggest Pike and Lakers in North America), an economy that's killin it, 90 degree days, but 60 degree nights, the Rocky Mountains, Rocky Mountain Oysters, Central City, Ouray to Telluride via one of the most harrowing 4 wheel drive trails you'll  ever do, Boulder (Nah Sorry on That One), I'm a native worked in Boulder for 20 years, you can have it, hunting, prospecting, cycling (rode by bicycle from 55th and Federal to Grand Lake), 108 miles and 8.5 hours on the seat, Indian Ruins, some of the best Mex around. Actually we're still a cow town, good luck :rolleyes:

Good job! Thanks for taking my answer about the sun. lol  :P

We have tons of hot springs here.

There are actually some pretty cool art galleries to peruse. We also hold lots of festivals, and the music is pretty eclectic in various areas of the state. We have some of the best colleges like CU which holds one of the best research centers nationally. You can enjoy lots of museums that tell a lot about Colorado history even in rural towns. The Farmers Markets are pretty phenomenal and we are pretty big on using locally grown food for some restaurants, grocery chains(don't miss the Palisade Peaches that will be coming soon), etc. which makes for some great foods to eat. Trails are all over the place, and even in downtown you can walk or rent a bike to get around easily. 

Last, but not least....we have the BRONCOS!!! 

xoxo,

Samantha Sheppard

Them there hills! I love Texas, it being my second home, but it doesn't even come close to the beauty of Colorado.

"You see that mountain over there? Yeah, one of these days I'm gonna climb that mountain!"

51 minutes ago, fishndude57 said:

Thank you for this detailed answer :) I have being outdoors and anything is better than a Texas summer. I'm most excited about the weather. 

30 minutes ago, Audrey Astor said:

Good job! Thanks for taking my answer about the sun. lol  :P

We have tons of hot springs here.

Oh, that sounds amazing. I need to have some hot springs in my life. 

SultryKitten I will have to check out the art and music scene. 

Thank you all for giving me so many good ideas!!

1 hour ago, HollyMarie said:

Cream filled. ;)

17 minutes ago, tide32 said:

Cream filled. ;)

Those are my favorite! How did you know?
You're like a donut soothsayer. 

9 minutes ago, HollyMarie said:

Those are my favorite! How did you know?
You're like a donut soothsayer. 

I have a glazed monkey on my back. :rolleyes:

Garden of the Gods! Never gets old! The geologic history of Colorado is awesome!

17 hours ago, HollyMarie said:

I'm packing up my gear to head to Colorado and make it my second home. What is something that is unique to Colorado that I would not be able to experience in Texas? I already have the CSU game on my list and a beer & whiskey tour, what's your favorite part? 

ME!:cool:

9 hours ago, Johnny Tsunami said:

I hope you have a blast in our beautiful state, Miss Holly.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to get settled in and start checking adventures off my list. I've never been to a hot spring before and that sounds like a blast. 

2 hours ago, a_happycamper_12 said:

ME!:cool:

Well, well, well, I'll add you to my adventure list too. ;) 

10 minutes ago, HollyMarie said:

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to get settled in and start checking adventures off my list. I've never been to a hot spring before and that sounds like a blast. 

There are many great hot springs in Colorado. I would recommend Pagosa Springs.

HollieMarie. Try Valley View hot springs. It's nude!!!! Great fun in the springs and hiking in the bare.

19 hours ago, HollyMarie said:

Voodoo Donuts....mmmmhmmm!!

On 7/14/2017 at 7:55 PM, HollyMarie said:

Mr. Yo's dounts in Windsor are (IMHO) the best donuts in the state.  A close second is LaMars http://www.lamars.com/locations/.   

If you like football (since you mentioned CSU) you should experience an Air Force game.

One of my favorite things is to explore the old mining towns, like Cripple Creek and Victor.  Lots of amazing history there.

Well every one has pretty much covered it, but a must do for sure if you have as favorite band or two find out when they are play Red Rocks it will be the best concert ever. A great place for a show you can even bring your own snacks, and sneak in some booze. They also have movies on the rocks which is pretty cool also. 

Strawberry Hot springs in Steam boat is cool they also have a clothing optional in the evenings

2 hours ago, CountryGentleman said:

Mr. Yo's dounts in Windsor are (IMHO) the best donuts in the state.  A close second is LaMars http://www.lamars.com/locations/.   

If you like football (since you mentioned CSU) you should experience an Air Force game.

I will check out all the donut places. 

I'll look into the Air Force game as well, I like football in any venue I can get it in. 

18 minutes ago, richinco said:

Well every one has pretty much covered it, but a must do for sure if you have as favorite band or two find out when they are play Red Rocks it will be the best concert ever. A great place for a show you can even bring your own snacks, and sneak in some booze. They also have movies on the rocks which is pretty cool also. 

Strawberry Hot springs in Steam boat is cool they also have a clothing optional in the evenings

Yes! I love to see live music. Red Rocks sounds like a legit place. 

Hopefully, I get a chance to experience a bunch of hot springs. Thank you for the good picks. 

Royal Gorge (adventurous ride zip line across), Black Canyon of the Gunnison (boat tours and fishing in the bottom on crystal and morrow point reservoirs), Dinosaur Monument, petrified forest and fossile beds national monument near Florissant, Grand Mesa and its dozens of lakes and ........... Never a lack of things to do and see

Holly, 

If I may, and I guess I am bias with this statement, after living here for 40+ years but try to enjoy every sunset you can in Colorado. Each is equally unique. 

I could suggest trails to explore, events to experience, and lots of good food to eat. Everyone's suggestions are fantastic and should be experienced. But, I've always been amazed at how beautiful a sunset is over the Rockies. 

Edited by scars&staples
Add on

Unfortunately if you are going to a CSU game, you will have a bad time. Frat kids, delusional college bubble and a losing team. 

You need to get to Boulder to see #TheRise happen in person. Like going to an SEC game plus some of the best bars in CO.